Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA pre-war camera photo

I was looking for photos of Keneth Simons of cable tv development fame. He wrote the famous Jerrold red book on cable systems.

I found this photo of him next to a camera that says "Central Television" on the side. Has anyone ever heard of them. And he is standing at a CBS microphone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 ish Pop with Early TV.jpg (78.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found his Wiki page and it includes this note;

"He moved to Kansas City, Missouri, in 1946 and was the chief television instructor at Central Radio School until 1948."

I am guessing this is a photo from the school with a hand-me-down camera and microphone. And the guitar and banjo fit right in to the neighborhood. Look up Keneth (sic) Alden Simons and you will find a prolific engineer and inventor. Think kindly of him when you pay your cable bill. My cable friends kneel before his picture.

All of this is for a Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia banquet coming up in November where we posthumously honor Pioneers in our business as part of the evening. We honor live ones too. More on that later if anyone is interested.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Motorola Minion

I saw a website for the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia and recognized quite a few faces, having moved into the coverage area in 1969.

I wonder how many other cities have such an organization.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

As a past president of the Philadelphia Broadcast Pioneers I think I can help with the history. The quick answer is one chapter...Philadelphia. Florida had a chapter but we have not heard from them in years.

The Pioneers used to be a national organization dating from the '50's with local chapters. The national began to fade in the 90's and was re-organized in to the Broadcasters Foundation with a new mission of financial assistance to down-and-out broadcasters with medical bills, etc. They abandoned the Pioneers name to the local chapters.

Philadelphia began re-building in the late 90's with our mission of college scholarships and digital preservation of any media we can get from old broadcasters. The Philadelphia Broadcast Pioneers now has a membership above 500. Philadelphia has a lot of broadcasters hanging around. The monthly meetings are open to the public on the third Wednesday of each month. July and August off. You can see us at www.broadcastpioneers.com where the history is endless.

Our last meeting in June was a celebration of KYW television's 85th anniversary. I brought a 95 year old guest who was a college age actor in a 1939 one hour drama broadcast from the Philco plant on W3XE.