Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

In one of the earlier B & W Andy Griffith shows, the plot is a delapidated house, possibly being taken over in foreclosure with a poor man in it. The community gets together and paints his house for him. An "interior" of the house shows a 7" Sentinel (the upright wedge shaped one) sitting high on a shelf in the dining room over the buffet which is most unusual and would make no sense.

Not anything to do with TV but remember Wally's Service Station? One time they did a close up in it and all or most of the oil products were "taped" so you could not see the brand name but it was obvious they were all Citgo or Cities Service products. Remember them?
Old 04-20-2008, 02:19 PM
TV DXer...

I bought a Sony KX-270M in 1986 and saw them used in TV shows.

As a prop they watch in the bar on the show "Cheers"

As a studio monitor on "The Gary Shandling Show"

As a studio monitor on "Home Improvement" (I think).

In the movie "American Graffiti", a scene of a storefront with TVs on display are early 70s models with big price tags covering the VHF/UHF tuners...
Old 04-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

In the movie "American Graffiti", a scene of a storefront with TVs on display are early 70s models with big price tags covering the VHF/UHF tuners...[/QUOTE]

I remember that ! I remember it from when I saw "Graffitti" when it came out & thinking "How lame..." They'd done such a good job of "1962ing" everything else. Another big-time goof I remember, not TV-related-but, was in "GoodFellas"- There's a shot of a 747 landing, & there's a caption "Idlewild Airport, 1963" & the 747 didn't enter service til '70.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:24 AM
AK Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
Another good movie with lots of old sets is "Forrest Gump" I watched it last night and thought wow, I never noticed those back in the '90s when I saw it in the theater.
Ditto On The Forrest Gump, zenithfan... another flick with an old vintage set was "Pulp Fiction". There is a very brief scene of Bruce Willis' character, Butch, as a kid watching an Eskimo cartoon on an old color console, circa 1960's.... anyone know the make of this set (or the show he was watching)? DVD chapter title is "Captain Koons' Story" (which leads to him hearing about 'The Gold Watch'.

Last edited by silvertone77; 05-24-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Mistake in chapter title
Old 05-19-2008, 04:26 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Another big-time goof I remember, not TV-related-but, was in "GoodFellas"- There's a shot of a 747 landing, & there's a caption "Idlewild Airport, 1963" & the 747 didn't enter service til '70.
Right above the "1963" caption is a 1965 Chevy.

Quote:
n one of the earlier B & W Andy Griffith shows, the plot is a delapidated house, possibly being taken over in foreclosure with a poor man in it. The community gets together and paints his house for him. An "interior" of the house shows a 7" Sentinel (the upright wedge shaped one) sitting high on a shelf in the dining room over the buffet which is most unusual and would make no sense.
I also noticed this and thought, "Who the hell would put a TV way up there?"
Audiokarma
Old 05-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

several roundies in movies and tv shows

In the movie Corina, Corina with Whoppee Goldberg and Ray Liotta there was a working ctc 5, also in some of the B & W beverly hilibillies there were several shots of round crt models in different episodes. In some of the Doris Day and James garner movies there were lots of Zenith roundies in the early 60's In one of the twilight zone episodes called "to serve man" they used two or three tk 40 color camera's in the show, even though the show was in B & W.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

TCM is doing Sinatra this month. Last week they showed "The Tender Trap". A large-screen B/W roundie built into the wall had a prominent role in the movie. I couldn't identify it though.

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

The bar in Cheers was never intended to be trendy. I thought the old set fit nicely with the thread running through the show. The show started in 1979 or1980, so that set was only about 10-12 years old. I use a 20 year old Mitsubishi as my daily watcher (because I'm too cheap to pay over $500 for 42 inches of HD).

I remember the Kingdome in Seattle using the same Conrac black and white monitors in the walkways for almost the entire 23 year life of the 'Dome. The concession stands likewise had the same TV's in them as well. The pictures on them were getting pretty bad at the end.

They did replace the seating monitors in the 200 and 300 levels about 10 years before they blew up the "concrete hamburger".

Last edited by wkand; 05-19-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Left out several significant sentences
Old 05-22-2008, 09:51 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmuri View Post
TCM is doing Sinatra this month. Last week they showed "The Tender Trap". A large-screen B/W roundie built into the wall had a prominent role in the movie. I couldn't identify it though.
Could have been a fake so that a movie clip could be inserted?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Gizmo Nut

Leave it to Beaver episode, Wally buys a car,, not the one where he buys and parts a car. The one where he gets a droptop chebby. Closing scene when they come back from supper. I have wondered what that set is. Also, Glenn Beck on Headline News has old set/sets on his set, if you will.
Dan

Last edited by Dan Starnes; 05-30-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: kant spel
Audiokarma
Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Starnes View Post
Leave it to Beaver episode, Wally buys a car,, not the one where he buys and parts a car. The one where he gets a droptop chebby. Closing scene when they come back from supper. I have wondered what that set is. Also, Glenn Beck on Headline News has old set/sets on his set, if you will.
Dan
That is a 1959 Philco "Seventeener"-----I had one . James
Old 05-31-2008, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

In the movie "Back to the Future" there were some scenes with TVs. One with McFly's father's place where his father was messing with a new TV. And Doc had a TV that Marty was playing a videotape from the 1985 camcorder he brought from the future.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

In that Leave it to Beaver episode where Wally buys his first car, it was a 1953 Chevrolet convertible that he paid $35 for it. I have a showroom 53 BelAir Convertible in my warehouse but I paid a little more than $35 for it!! Remember the Beverly Hillbilliy episode where Jethro wants to be a swinger and gets a white 54 Chevrolet convertible and takes two girls to a drive in and starts to put the top up and it gets "stuck" and then just about tears it up to put it down?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Here's the Saturday Evening Post September 29, 1962 ad (in B&W) for the Hazel color episode. On the back of that page is a COLOR ad for a Magnavox B&W TV/Stereo "Theater"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hazel Ad s.jpg (81.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Magnavox SEPost 1969SEP29 s.jpg (65.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 12-04-2008, 08:45 PM
boatanchors rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
"Hazel, The complete first season," is available from Amazon and other outlets. It includes episode 6, the only color episode in the '61-'62 season. RCA-NBC were promoting color tv and shot one or two episodes of various series in this period. Of course, Bonanza and Disney's Wonderful World of Color were telecast weekly in color and helped sell a lot of color tv's.

Image: Hazel - The Complete First Season
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...F8&n=130&s=dvd

-Steve D.
Star Trek was also an RCA marketing tool for color sets.
EDIT: Although I realize ST was a latecomer compared to Bonanza and Disney.
Audiokarma