Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Somebody please identify this set!

Yes, I know, I have a thing with rough looking gear sometimes.....but this set just seemed like something special, and I bought it for $5!

I just got it back from a local tube radio guru, who completely restored it (and for a bargain price ). This guy has been in the backs of literally thousands of sets and had absolutely no idea who made it or where it came from! It is a TRF set, late 20s/early 30s in design. The circuitry was so strange in the set that he literally had to look through thousands of schematics to find one even remotely close, and he had tro make educated guesses as to what some of the components were, because he'd never seen anything like it. Which is very strange fror an old US made tube radio.

His best guess is that it could be a CBS columbia or a product of Custom Radio, a small company that only lasted a year and built one-off sets during the late 20s. Not knowing what the devil it is I guess makes it that more special. And despite its appearance, it is solid and now plays flawlessly.....for an old TRF rig.

I've decided not to refinish it, as something about it seems either somewhat engaging, or eerie, I haven't decided which.

Can anyone help to tell me what the devil this is?