Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Scored an RCA CT-100

Someone pointed this out to me yesterday on the Pittsburgh Craigslist yesterday. The guy selling it didn't know what he had and was planning on throwing it away initially!

Anyhow, to answer the big question: The 15GP22 is still under vacuum. Getter is perfect on it.
I am working on getting the setup information to test the tube with my Sencore CR-7000 tonight.

The cabinet is in good shape, but will need refinished. It is missing the back cover, HV cage cover, pencil box, and the part of the tuning knob with the channel numbers. All of which I view as minor.
The rest of it is complete. All tubes are there, all components are there.

I didn't get the serial number last night. I'll get that later tonight.

I'm going to start restoring it as soon as I can. Though it may take me a good while before I complete this. I know there's a lot of things I need to learn about this set. I've been reading the forums trying to get as much info as I could.

One last thing: What is the best way to get that front safety glass off? I removed the 8 pins holding it in place and the trim, but it appears stuck on there. I don't want to accidentally break the glass. There are a bunch of dead bug guts and other nasties between it and the CRT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130315_001105.jpg (109.2 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by tv beta guy; 03-15-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, nice score! So you must be the lucky recipient of the CT-100 discussed in this thread: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=257550

I won't attempt to answer your questions, because at this point I've only dreamed of encountering a CT-100. I'm sure that many will chime in soon.

Congratulations!

-Clark
Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

nice ct-100 ,someday ill happen across one !!!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Ahh HATE Yew!! -Yosemite Sam, Esq. (grin) Seriously, SUPER score !! Keepin' Fingers 'n' Toes crossed that the 15GP22's OK...
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

VERY happy for you!! I also hope that the CRT is still under vacuum, and checks with high emission. All the best!
Kevin
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Congratulations. For a relatively rare set, it amazes me how many of these seem to turn up. Here's hoping for a good CRT and an easy restoration. Take your time and enjoy it.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv beta guy View Post
One last thing: What is the best way to get that front safety glass off? I removed the 8 pins holding it in place and the trim, but it appears stuck on there.
Answer: very carefully!

It's probably glued on there by some old tar like stuff that used to be a gasket, here's how I attacked the issue. Remove the whole CRT bezel by removing the 1/4" screws holding it into the cab, then lift it out. Once you have it free, you can heat the edge of the glass where the goo is and try lightly prying on it with a putty knife. It should slowly start to separate, then you can pull the whole mess apart. Once it's in 2 pieces, you'll need to clean off said goo- this is actually the hard part. I scraped with a sharp razor till the majority was off, then used goo gone for the residuals. It's a mess and you'll probably end up taking some paint along with it, but you can always hit it with the rattle can later to make it look good. Put single sided foam tape in it's place, as a dust seal when you put it back together.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
Congratulations. For a relatively rare set, it amazes me how many of these seem to turn up. Here's hoping for a good CRT and an easy restoration. Take your time and enjoy it.
There were what, supposedly 5000 of thease made ? We know of about 135 survivors... There COULD be a LOT more..Just sayin'. I've done MY part on spreadin' the Gospel of CT-100s..."Civilians" can't believe a 1954 TV could be worth SO much..Some believe they didn't even HAVE TV in '54...
Old 03-15-2013, 07:28 PM
BigDavesTV

Wow, nice find, TV Beta Guy! It's encouraging that the 15GP22 is still under vacuum, hopefully it will have decent emission, or at least "restore" well! I can see the bugs behind the safety glass, I also had to chuckle when I looked at the attached photo, I see that the CT100 had just recieved a "cat-scan" as well New items I bring in the house also get "cat-scanned."
Old 03-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv beta guy
Someone pointed this out to me yesterday on the Pittsburgh Craigslist yesterday. The guy selling it didn't know what he had and was planning on throwing it away initially!
VERY NICE!!!!

Its sad ppl do not realise how good this stuff really is!!!!

I do hope you get a long/enjoyable use with it,thank you for sharing

Last edited by Dude111; 03-16-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-15-2013, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv beta guy View Post

I didn't get the serial number last night. I'll get that later tonight.

Someone here, IIRC, has compiled a list of known surviving CT100 sets. The cabinet also has a serial number, along with the serial number on the chassis? or was it the back over?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

A few of us spoke to the gentleman over a week ago. He told me the same story about almost hauling it out to the curb... but then he started receiving "education" and offers of $500, $800, and $1000 from a man in Maryland who he said was 'hot to trot' over there and pick it up. If you saw this ad yesterday, I wonder what happened to all of those other offers unless you just happened to blow everyone out of the water!

Congrats, I've got my fingers crossed that tube proves to be good!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:35 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Mike,

re the removal of goo once the safety glass is separated: I've done two of these. The first five decades ago and it didn't go well; lost the glass in that one. But the second was accomplished a year ago, and you're probably not going to believe this until you try it. Wet the so-called 'tar' with water. The stuff softened up and came right off without scraping any more paint from the bezel.

Look for the B800nnnn (or B111nnnn or B900nnnn) serial number on the back of the chassis just below the candohm resistor rivet-mounted back there.

Pete
Old 03-15-2013, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Congratulations!

These articles may be helpful. The first has some restoration notes. The second includes CT-100 service manuals and related docs.

http://antiqueradio.org/RCACT-100Television.htm

http://antiqueradio.org/RCACT-100TelevisionDesign.htm

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Nice acquisition, beta guy. I found my CT-100 less than two years ago, and they are a great set to work on. Good luck with your new project.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma