Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2004, 04:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Super" Saturday

Just got home from the estate sales today and I came upon a bit of a lucky find! In the basement of an old mansion over in St. Paul I found this beautiful "Westcott" CTC5-F Super, for ten whole dollars. It seems to have all of its original parts and the chassis looks undisturbed. I know the super models were RCA's budget line chassis and I have heard that they don't produce as nice picture as the Deluxe chassis. Do you guys think its worth the time and energy to restore this model?

I'm currently working on my first color set, a CTC9. I had static sounding arching noises coming from underneath the rubber flyback tire, I was able to cure this problem by removing the tire and recoating the flyback windings with a layer of HV liquid corona dope and a layer of sensor-safe silicone. Hopefully this fix will last. I have recapped the set and replaced the electrolytics plus I have replaced some out of tolerance resistors which were causing a bad horizontal pull. Now I'm searching for the cause of a 120cycle hum which is making for two minor waves rolling up through the picture and after that I need to do some convergence. Otherwise the set is coming along nicely, considering it started out completely dead.