Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Old TVs are better!

Smile My Newest Addition RCA CTC9 Caulfield 1959

Yesterday I picked up a RCA roundie color CTC9, Model 210CK924 Caulfied. Yes, I gave $200, but it looks like it was well worth it, as it is in prestine condition. It was previously owned by the grandfather of the family I bought it from who was in the TV repair business. I understand it was his pride and joy and now it's my pride and joy. Thing is, nearly everything in it is original including the 21CYP22 CRT which checks .85 on all three guns on my Beltron. The flyback is original, but only a few drops of wax present from it which is basically normal for those. Most of the tubes are original RCA. Brought it up slowly on a variac, and electrolytic cans seem to run cool so gradually put full line voltage to it. I hadn't even removed the chassis, roughly adjusted the screens and drive, so figured I'd try it out and put on a DVD, and guess what, color looks fairly normal, full height and width. I was told that the set had sat idle for 8 years without being turned on, but with a few tweeks and adjustments it produces a very nice picture for a set of that age. The cabinet is a light maple and is almost as good as the day it was purchased. What do you guys think it should do to it, to keep it running like it is or even better. I am afraid to pull the chassis, as I don't want to mess anything up or break anything. I plan on accurately setting the grey scale, convergence, and checking the HV, etc. The 6BK4 HV regulator tube looks kinda dark, but don't know if thats a problem or not. I plan to post some pictures of it on here, but not sure how to do it, or if I can. Guess I'm so excited about this find, that I couldn't wait to post it on here.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

CTC-9's working great as found is pretty normal, mine worked with good color straight away too. I recommend changing out the power supply caps just to be on the safe side, if those take out the power transformer you'll be in a hurt locker to find a new one. 6BK4's get dark glass from x-ray exposure, it's normal. I've seen them completely black before, but still have decent emissions.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC10 built into the wall of a house on 143rd and Newport ave. last summer I PASSED.(!!) It worked like you say with a slightly reduced vert and dim color.
He wanted 100$ and I was to remove it from its resting spot.
I know for a fact the house was demolished in the hurricane. What a shame.

Great story on your '9 though..
Old 06-22-2013, 12:06 AM
"Book em Dano!"

I have the same exact set as yours but mine has a million hours on it and is still working great with the original fly but cant say that about the crt, It's been replaced at least 6 times,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00921.jpg (71.6 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by mstaton; 06-22-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great looking set. Looks like the same wood as my CTC 10 but different cabinet style. Great score. Don's trust the electrolytic s tho. Mine were good but after a year they died. Recap for sure.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:02 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
I have the same exact set as yours but mine has a million hours on it and is still working great with the original fly but cant say that about the crt, It's been replaced at least 6 times,
The PC boards must be like burnt toast by now. It is a beautiful set, though. I like the cabinet style.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Old TVs are better!

Here are some pictures of the RCA CTC9 Caulfield Set performs very well. I had to replace the 12BY7 video output tube, as it was leaky, and as the tube got hot the brightness control would not work. Also adjusted the HV to 23.5KV and set the convergence as close as I could get it. Electrolytic cans run cool (at least for now), but I'm sure I will be replacing the caps in the future. Flyback only has a few drips of wax, so it seems to me that the set has not had much usage through it's life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA CTC9 1.jpg (102.2 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg RCA CTC9 2.jpg (115.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg RCA CTC9 3.jpg (92.3 KB, 190 views)
Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Yes one of the boards is black as coal. My original electrolytics are still good
Old 07-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Very nice looking set. I've got a metal cabinet CTC9 with the wood stand, which is cool looking as well. Nice score!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set... I'm getting a set in that same exact cabinet.. It's a CTC10E and is a remote set..

Last edited by tvcollector; 07-20-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA Caufield

Drool, drool. Wow. Only thing missing is the hang tag and the retail receipt. What a beee-u-ti-ful set !!! Hearty congrats!

Is that the original CRT? I also noticed no cataract. Is there a seperate safety glass with these models, or a bonded glass? Fantastic.

Please post pics of the set in operation, ( I know you will, when the time is right) but as others have suggested, not without replacing the filter caps.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA Caulfield

Oh, my bad! In the first read, I missed the part about the 21CY CRT being original.

Even more wow!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Old TVs are better!

Yes, It has a separate safety glass, which is removable, so hence no cataract. And yes, it's the original CRT, even has the serial number sticker on the CRT. It seems a little dull, but gosh, for that age, it's not bad at all. Checks around .8 on my Beltron on all three guns. I will try and post a picture of the set in operation soon.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Old TVs are better!

It's been quite a while since I spent any real time with this set, as it had developed a problem with the vertical slowly collapsing, and loosing sync. I've been busy working on other stuff including my RCA 21CT55, so it sort of got shoved aside. Well I got back into it, and the problem with the sync and vertical collapsing, was just a simple problem. A ground on the corner of the circuit board that connected to the 6CG7/6FQ7 (vertical osc and sync) which went to one side of the filament pins. Re-soldered it, and it's back to normal. CRT is actually getting better with some use, it now checks over .9 on all three guns on my Beltron. Original 21CYP22 still going strong. I believe it is really a low hours set. I never run any of these old tube TVs unattended so if something should go bad (IE filter cans or flyback), at least I would be able to disconnect it right away, rather that leaving it on causing more damage. Filter cans right now run cool so I have left them alone for now. Here are a few more pictures of the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0255.jpg (60.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0251.jpg (97.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0245.jpg (60.2 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0246.jpg (87.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0252.jpg (31.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 08-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
I will try and post a picture of the set in operation soon.
Well, you fulfilled this promise 1,110 days later
Audiokarma