Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Urei 1620 DJ

RCA Stereo Roundie near Boston but for a price.

Saw this listed. Don't think it's worth the price asked in unrestored condition.http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/atq/1287626206.html
Old 07-27-2009, 03:13 PM
I love old stuff

The turntable (tt) (recorder player) haves an really intresting design
Old 07-27-2009, 06:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Circa 1963 - think the seller has pie-in-the-sky ideas about what he'll get for it.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Pretty good "Cadillac"...Pretty pricey for a console that is in unknown condition, especially w/the cataract..
Old 07-27-2009, 06:27 PM
The Devil Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
The turntable (tt) (recorder player) haves an really intresting design
I think most RCA consoles in that era had the elliptical changer arm.
Audiokarma
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

The TV looks like it might be independent of the stereo as far as controls go. It looks like the same control panel layout as the set would have if it were not a combo. Were any made this way where the TV and stereo simply share a cabinet or does the TV use the stereo chassis for audio? At the very least there should be some kind of selector to prevent having the TV and radio on at the same time.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking

Gee, if it's a 12, it is EXACTLY what I desire, but right now I am poor. At least I have a schematic to drool over LOL!
Kevin
Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have that exact unit except its not a roundie and someone removed the legs. The tv power switch turns the power off to the tuner and amp and switches the speakers form the amp to the tv. Mine also has a solid state amp. Its a good quality unit, someone should make him an offer and give it a good home.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 AM
sampson159

that is a ctc 15 or 16.i have the same model different cabinet.the stereo plugs into the tv chassis or you can plug in the stereo independently.tv uses a separate speaker.i like that cabinet but that price is way out there.would be quite a nice project though!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:25 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
The TV looks like it might be independent of the stereo as far as controls go. It looks like the same control panel layout as the set would have if it were not a combo. Were any made this way where the TV and stereo simply share a cabinet or does the TV use the stereo chassis for audio? At the very least there should be some kind of selector to prevent having the TV and radio on at the same time.
It looks very much like my CTC16 combo. As sampson159 said, the amplifier is solid state, and the sound system is independent from the TV's audio section. The selector does not allow the TV to be on at the same time as the stereo system. If I had owned my unit in the early days of music videos (1982-85), I would have modified it to allow simultaneous use. The NBC network had a TV show called Friday Night Videos, with stereo sound on a local FM radio station. These combos would have been great for videos with nice stereo audio, all in one "box".

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Nice, but agreeing with others, the price is in orbit. Those are usually nearly free, even today, due to the size.

Charles
Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder if the value of these whales will ever go up after enough of them go to the dumpster. There are still old hams out there who complain bitterly because they have to pay hundred$$ for an R390A boatanchor, rather than pennies as they used to. I'm not in the market for this one, anyhow.

Phil Nelson
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
Nice, but agreeing with others, the price is in orbit. Those are usually nearly free, even today, due to the size.

Charles
I think the only way these huge combos would be practical to own is to have it as one's main entertainment unit in the livingroom. Practically all the large sets we collect today were intended as solo pieces of furniture in a room. Most of us collect TVs and radios the way others collect coins or stamps thus making larger peices less desireable because of the sheer sqare footage needed to store, display and use them. I would love to restore and use a Zenith roundie combo or a Manavox Astrosonic but I would have to throw out our entertainment cabinet and solid state SPC TV and the wife would never go for that.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

While I wouldn't pay that price, I could see some folks doing it. Might be highly negotiable?

The only roundie combo I ever drug home was either a -12 or early -15 (didn't have UHF) and the control panel for the TV was under the top lid. It was somewhat small for a combo. I should have saved it but at the time I didn't think it was that special, and didn't know the cataracts could be fixed.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
...the sound system is independent from the TV's audio section. The selector does not allow the TV to be on at the same time as the stereo system. If I had owned my unit in the early days of music videos (1982-85), I would have modified it to allow simultaneous use. The NBC network had a TV show called Friday Night Videos, with stereo sound on a local FM radio station.
I remember Friday Night Videos on NBC, but never knew until now that the audio was also simulcast over local FM radio. I don't remember seeing anything in the local newspaper, TV listings, etc. at the time as to which of the 20 or so Cleveland FM stations was carrying the show's sound track. Was this done nationally, or only in cities with NBC owned and operated TV stations? If the latter, I am surprised that nothing was ever said about FNV's stereo FM simulcast (that I was ever aware of, anyway) in the Cleveland area, as the NBC-TV affiliate there (WKYC-TV channel 3) was owned and operated by NBC at the time.

Seeing the picture of the RCA TV/stereo combo being discussed here brought back memories for me, as one of my great-uncles had a console exactly like the one shown on CL. The television chassis developed serious problems, however, some years later (I don't know exactly when), so he just took out the old chassis and installed a new (at that time) Emerson 19" table model in its place. Another of my great-uncles had an RCA console with the same chassis; when its TV died, he just took it out of the cabinet and installed a new (at that time) Zenith color table model in place of it. In both cases the jobs had been done so well, IMHO, that anyone would have been hard-pressed to tell these were custom installations.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma