Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Ol' Sarge

Location: Undisclosable air base location somewhere in the middle east
Question Experiences with converter boxes?

I just checked the status of my coupons, they've been mailed! From what I've read on here the Zenith/Insignia seems to be the better box. But when I went to BestBuy's site to read about the Insignia box it doesn't get very good reviews. Which seems to be the one to get?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:19 PM
DTV blows

When I hit Wal-Mart next week, I'm heading straight for a Magnavox. The Zenith and Insignia models reviewed in Consumer Reports had some interference that the Magnavox box does not display, even with the Magnavox's slightly clunkier remote.
Tom
Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Pioneer Memeber

I bought two Insignia's about a week ago and have had nothing but good experiences!

Seem to have good sensitivity and features.

Good luck
Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 PM
hposter

Zenith DTT900

Just got the Zenith DTT900 today (actually 2--one for the future!). It's great for about $20 after the rebate card.

Box is a bit bigger than I would have wanted..but not a real problem. I went from 7 or 8 stations (some blurry) on my in-the-attic antenna, to about 50 perfect reception channels. Plug it in, turn it on, and there's a menu that pops up, to guide you through the language, etc., then hit Auto find, and viola!

There's even a Guide (from over-the-air reception to this--Wow) to show what most stations offer. And, no problems, interference, etc.

Looks good, seems to work perfectly. I'd recommend it--but haven't tried any of the others. This even controls the TV volume, and I can Mute the TV from the box. The only thing I didn't realize ahead of time, since I bring the coax down from the antenna to 3 sets, this only allows one TV channel at a time, and you'll need a separate box for each TV set, unless you want them all to see the same station.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hposter View Post
Just got the Zenith DTT900 today (actually 2--one for the future!). It's great for about $20 after the rebate card.

Box is a bit bigger than I would have wanted..but not a real problem. I went from 7 or 8 stations (some blurry) on my in-the-attic antenna, to about 50 perfect reception channels. Plug it in, turn it on, and there's a menu that pops up, to guide you through the language, etc., then hit Auto find, and viola!

There's even a Guide (from over-the-air reception to this--Wow) to show what most stations offer. And, no problems, interference, etc.

Looks good, seems to work perfectly. I'd recommend it--but haven't tried any of the others. This even controls the TV volume, and I can Mute the TV from the box. The only thing I didn't realize ahead of time, since I bring the coax down from the antenna to 3 sets, this only allows one TV channel at a time, and you'll need a separate box for each TV set, unless you want them all to see the same station.
What type of antenna are you using?
Audiokarma
Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 PM
DTV blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by hposter View Post
I went from 7 or 8 stations (some blurry) on my in-the-attic antenna, to about 50 perfect reception channels.
50 channels?!
I wanna know what antenna you got as well!!
Tom
Old 03-21-2008, 08:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Seriously, thats amazing! I got the DTT900 (2 also) and they work nicely. But I only got 23 channels with an indoor antenna on the third story of my house. On the 1st I got 7 lol.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Complaints:

The Zenith/Insignia (they're identical) have a really low audio output level (even at 100% volume setting). When watching them, if you switch to something else (OTA analog, cable, VCR/DVD, etc) the volume blasts if you forget to turn it down first.

The Zenith/Insignia does not pass-thru the antenna when powered off.

My Digitalstream makes a high-pitched whistle when powered off. It's subtle but you can't sleep in a silent room with it plugged in. Anybody else notice this?

The Digitalstream case is cheap plastic. The power-indicator LED is unattractive. The whole thing looks cheap.

The Philco does not have a volume control (you need two remotes to use it).

The Philco case is large and white-plastic gaudy (all the others are subtle and black). Plastic case is sturdier than Digitalstream but still not great.

The four I have (Zenith, Insignia, Digitalstream, Philco) are all made in China. Anybody have one that's NOT made in China?

Pros:
Zenith and Insignia are in sturdy metal boxes.
Zenith/Insignia have better reception.
Zenith/Insignia power-indicator LEDs are stylish.
Philco passes thru the antenna whether it's on or off.
Philco audio is at same level as other sources (no volume-control issues).
Digitalstream passes thru the antenna when off.
Digitalstream is physically very small (takes up least room).
Zenith/Insignia and Digitalstream have field-strength meters.
All of them have user-friendly (and similar) setup.

Of the four I have I like the Zenith best. Only better than Insignia because of the Zenith logo. I found it at Circuit City in Grand Rapids Michigan. I will try to find a Magnavox next. Wal-Mart maybe?

Wish I could find one labeled "Farnsworth"...
Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 PM
DTV blows

Wal-Mart, yes. I do believe they have an RCA as well.
Tom
Old 03-22-2008, 12:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

I really like the Insignia. One thing I noticed on it (that doesn't seem to be present on my DVD recorder/DTV receiver) is that the Insignia has a TV guide function which will show upcoming programming and you can scroll through it to see information on what other channels are airing. The signal strength meter is good too. I got a lot more channels using the outdoor antenna in the barn...here is a video of an RCA Mural TV with Insignia/outdoor antenna:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_wHV9bT8DU
Audiokarma
Old 03-22-2008, 11:33 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve328is View Post
I just checked the status of my coupons, they've been mailed! From what I've read on here the Zenith/Insignia seems to be the better box. But when I went to BestBuy's site to read about the Insignia box it doesn't get very good reviews. Which seems to be the one to get?
I just got a Zenith from Circuit City, and I'll compare it to the RCA I got with the first coupon. Insignia is the house brand for Best Buy; identical to the LG-built Zenith.

I like the fact that the Zenith is in a metal case, and is heavier. The remote is nicer to hold than the RCA too. Only downer is that the RCA is $10 cheaper than the others, so if it performs the same, then I can't see spending the extra $10. After all, most of us will hide these boxes and pretend they aren't there with our vintage sets

Charles
Old 03-22-2008, 11:34 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
Wal-Mart, yes. I do believe they have an RCA as well.
Tom
Plenty of RCAs at the WalMarts here in SoCal... However, the Magnavox (also $49) is never in stock.

Charles
Old 03-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Ol' Sarge

Location: Undisclosable air base location somewhere in the middle east
Thanks everyone ...looks like the Zenith/Insignia will be the one to get. Well, my wife will have to get it! Can't wait to get back and tinker with my 'new' old TV.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmuri View Post
My Digitalstream makes a high-pitched whistle when powered off. It's subtle but you can't sleep in a silent room with it plugged in. Anybody else notice this?
I have a friend who has a 9" under-cabinet digital-tuner LCD TV, and it makes a high pitch squeal, if I remember right.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-22-2008, 11:21 PM
"Too Much Stuff"

I asked for coupons so long ago I forget where I did it. How do you find out about your status?
Onkyo TX8500II
Pioneer CTF950,Akai GX-S80
DCM TF-600,TF-400 CX-17+ KL Quartets
Audiokarma