Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 PM
complete novice

should I?, a simple 201a transmitter

I found this schematic, dont worry ive the rest of it for specs. I have 90% of everything i need for it just sitting in my junk boxes. Im debating on tinkering this together over the next week.

Is there any glaring defects or changes i should make to this design? My goal is to simply transmit across the room and know that ive done it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Oh, Hell. Go For It, you KNOW you won't be happy til you do....(grin)
Old 07-13-2012, 08:19 PM
complete novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Oh, Hell. Go For It, you KNOW you won't be happy til you do....(grin)
Well.. youre right about that. Its hard to see a cute project that you could get done in an evening and NOT attempt to do it. I'll breadboard this circuit this weekend hopefully and see about tuning it.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

The problem is, the power of that oscillator is probably greater than the legal limit for unlicensed operation. So you'd best have a license and make sure the frequency is within your permitted range.

I don't know what frequency that will give but I suspect it's in the HF range. How to you plan to hear the signal?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 PM
complete novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91343 View Post
The problem is, the power of that oscillator is probably greater than the legal limit for unlicensed operation. So you'd best have a license and make sure the frequency is within your permitted range.

I don't know what frequency that will give but I suspect it's in the HF range. How to you plan to hear the signal?
Well ive a multiband receiver that will cover that problem.

As for the legality?, I assume with a dummy antenna and a lower plate voltage ill be fine. My goal, as i said, is just to see if i can do it and transmit across the room.

I did attempt to take a course and get my amateur license, but the classes were continually being cancelled since people never showed up. I got real irritated of showing up and week after week it being cancelled since no one else showed. I suppose ill try and find a different outfit that offers classes, eventually.

Last edited by jbivy; 07-13-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Lemme know when you plan to test it, I'll listen in!

BTW, this is un-modulated (maybe some power supply hum will be present), so the carrier will be "skinny".
Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Taking a class to learn amateur radio isn't very effective use of your time. Get a book or just take the online tests repeatedly until you get it. No code proficiency needed any more.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 PM
complete novice

Well I hate to wait, i just wound the coils and shot them with a sealant. They should be dry in the morning and ready for me to start in on this.