Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > International Vintage Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Kriesler Colourama 660-55 Australia set from 1977

Here's a Kriesler Colourama 660-55 that came into the shop recently. This was their top of the line set from 1977. The 59-3 chassis (based on a philips K11?) was used in several sets in various feature levels, but this one got the lot...

Teak veneer cabinet, twin speakers, ultrasonic remote, built in clock (with auto power on) and a built in "pong" style video game!

Unfortunately it has a dead power supply that I haven't gotten anywhere with yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg krieslersmall.JPG (80.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg krieslercontrolssmall.jpg (98.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg krieslerremotessmall.JPG (145.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 AM
M is for Memory

That is pretty high-end for 1977. Does it use a switch mode power supply, or is it line transformer based?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
Here's a Kriesler Colourama 660-55 that came into the shop recently. This was their top of the line set from 1977. The 59-3 chassis (based on a philips K11?) was used in several sets in various feature levels, but this one got the lot...

Teak veneer cabinet, twin speakers, ultrasonic remote, built in clock (with auto power on) and a built in "pong" style video game!

Unfortunately it has a dead power supply that I haven't gotten anywhere with yet.
It looks like a Curtis Mathes.
Most sets from "down under" seemed to have power transformers.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

It has switchmode power supply like the Philips set it is based on. The chopper transistor is shorted. I remember reading/hearing that there is a trick to working on these power supplies, but I don't remember the details.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

The switchmode in that model Kriesler was usually quite reliable but back in the day I did see a few failures. The most common cause was the drive to the chopper transistor which comprised a resistor with a parallel capacitor (can't remember the values). The resistor would go open circuit and cause the BU326 to fail. Other causes could be the various electrolytic caps around the switchmode drive circuitry. I always used a variac when powering up after a repair. I would monitor the output voltage whilst ramping up the variac and listen for the tell tale whistle of the switchmode starting up. If I didn't get any result by about 100v AC input I would stop and look for further faulty components. Obtaining a genuine BU326 these days could be difficult. Lots of counterfeit transistors about. The Kriesler sets were a high end product of the day and performed very well producing a very nice picture.
Audiokarma
Old 12-22-2017, 09:36 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
and a built in "pong" style video game!
I was about to ask what the weird little wired remotes were for. That is really friggin' cool.