Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Toshiba 40" LCD Question

I have a general question, and will post the model number when I get to it.
Set was manufactured 11/2011, and has about 50 hours on it.
Question.. were these junk?
I have some friends that have this mounted on a wall in the garage. ( non climate controlled) It was kind of humid here last night, and they went to turn it on.. got a slight snap, and the standby light comes on for a brief time, and set shuts off.
Did the environment quicken its demise, or were these flat out junk?
Old 10-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Administrator

I think several winters in a non climate controlled, Nebraska? garage took a toll on it.

I don't know what the reputation of these sets is but most any set should last more than 50 hours.
Googling the model number may turn up some information on it's reliability.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Eric,
I'll look up the model number. The set was stored inside for the winter. ( they only put it out there in late fall for football games)
Old 10-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Administrator

I see, possibly it was a victim of bad capacitors, it's a little new but could still happen, more likely infant mortality of some other component, unfortunately the warranty is most likely up by now. I like to run my sets a lot in the warranty period in case any problems show up, if they make it through that then they'll probably last for years.

It's worth pulling the back and taking a look at the caps.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I was working on flat panel TVs for a living, the Toshiba LCDs were actually pretty good, unless you got one of the bad-tab-bond models. If the panel was good, usually the TV was good. I had a 40" with a dead pixel line as my tester tv for years. It's probably still sitting on my desk where I used to work...
Audiokarma
Old 10-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Banned

Those 2011 2012 Toshiba 1080p CCFL LCD are very good and worth fixing if not something major like a panel ofc.

I have one here I re purposed it and replaced it with a larger 2013 Sony I bought in early 2014 the picture is fine on the Toshiba I just wanted something bigger it had a better picture in the store when I bought it than the equivalent Samsung ,Vizio and lot's of others mine is a 2012 40E220U picture wise it should hold it's own with any new 40" out there IMO.

from what I've read Generally LCD TV environment shouldn't go much below 40- 55° F long term .

Last edited by tubetwister; 10-30-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Old TVs are better!

Jamie, most of the time you can find panels on E-bay for cheap. Most of the panels on e-bay have been taken out of sets that have cracked screens. I bet a transistor, chip, or something in the power supply on one of the panels shorted out. I think condensation due to temperature changes could have blown something. Tell them not to give up on it, and if they would like I'll take a look at it and see if I can run the problem down. Also could be caps, however with only 50 hours on it, I doubt it. If you can get the model number that would be a big help.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
Jamie, most of the time you can find panels on E-bay for cheap. Most of the panels on e-bay have been taken out of sets that have cracked screens. I bet a transistor, chip, or something in the power supply on one of the panels shorted out. I think condensation due to temperature changes could have blown something. Tell them not to give up on it, and if they would like I'll take a look at it and see if I can run the problem down. Also could be caps, however with only 50 hours on it, I doubt it. If you can get the model number that would be a big help.
PS- Just so you know, "panel" refers to the screen ("LCD Panel"). The things inside are usually referred to as "boards". Power Supply Board, Main AV Board, Etc.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
PS- Just so you know, "panel" refers to the screen ("LCD Panel"). The things inside are usually referred to as "boards". Power Supply Board, Main AV Board, Etc.
If there was a "snap' noise from it--that sounds like perhaps an SMPS or inveter issue. BOTH not a hard fix--the SMPS can be repaired--the inverter should be available on ebay from a cracked panel set.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

toshiba we see very few of them in the shop.
Audiokarma