Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Storing televisions

Hey all,

Quick question but important.

I need to store my TV's while I move (console and portable). I have a small side room of a house available but it has no a/c my question is what is the maximum allowable temp. to store a T.V.? Is this a bad idea to store it without climate control? I have no idea it might even be humid there but I imagine it will get quite hot in there this summer.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2016, 09:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

All I can say is that I've stored sets in my garage for years at a time through summers and winters here and never had any issues. I also used to work at a tv repair shop that would turn off the ac in summer and the heat in winter when we left and although the pipes froze a few times, we never had any issues with the sets.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:22 AM
M is for Memory

Depends on what you are storing. If you have any metal cone CRTs I highly recommend keeping them stored at as constant a temperature as possible to prevent metal-glass micro fractures and leaks...Early plastics (which are sometimes used in unexpected places) also can be adversely affected by heat. I personally don't like my sets to be stored above 90f. Back when I lived in an apartment we killed the AC during a vacation at the height of summer, and when I got back one of the large plastic feet had shattered on my metal cabinet Silvertone roundy color; it's mount screw damaging the set it was resting on, and the whole thing was off balance to the point it could have fallen off.....I've yet to find a good substitute for it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-17-2016, 10:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbroken View Post
All I can say is that I've stored sets in my garage for years at a time through summers and winters here and never had any issues. I also used to work at a tv repair shop that would turn off the ac in summer and the heat in winter when we left and although the pipes froze a few times, we never had any issues with the sets.
Long time storage, with temperature extremes, has an effect on electrolytic capacitors. After a few years, they have to be replaced. The cold and hot affects the paste electrolite.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
.....one of the large plastic feet had shattered on my metal cabinet Silvertone roundy color; it's mount screw damaging the set it was resting on, and the whole thing was off balance to the point it could have fallen off.....I've yet to find a good substitute for it.....
What's it look like? I've got Dad's stash of cabinet parts and feet ( no legs....)

He saved cabinet brackets, CRT mounts, latches, casters, you name it - I've got a 5-gallon bucket full.

Lemme know..a pix would help.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 06-17-2016, 12:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Long time storage, with temperature extremes, has an effect on electrolytic capacitors. After a few years, they have to be replaced. The cold and hot affects the paste electrolite.
I can definitely see how that could happen and im sure the length of time it takes depends on the quality of the caps. The sets Ive stored in my garage have mostly been chromacolor 2 and xl100 types. I still have 2 chromacolor 2 sets out there that have been there for years. Ill have to try them this weekend.