Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Ol' Sarge

Location: Undisclosable air base location somewhere in the middle east
South Caicos Island

I was at Andrews AFB in Maryland last year. I had just completed a long flight from central Asia and my internal clock was all messed up--I was wide awake at 0300. Using my TO 3000-1 I just caught the station ID "Radio Vision Cristiana, South Caicos, Turks and Caicos Island" or something very similar in English ~530KHz. Then it went to Spanish.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Where you are right now, Steve, would be a WILD place to do some DXing...IF you could understand what they're saying...
Old 03-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Gizmo Nut

On my Hallifcrafters I can pull in the world, as well as the Zenith transoceanic. On my Emerson 541 and my Crosley 124 I can easily pull in WSM on saturday nites for the Grand Ole Opry, which is a few hundred miles from my Fowler IL home. Winter cloudy nites are the best for reception. Summer time storms mess with reception. Neat thread and really enjoy how others listen to the airwaves.
Dan
Old 03-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Near and Far Horizons

Yes indeed...a good thread...

It's too easy to plug-into an internet based station...there's just something about wrestling with an analog dial and a drifting station on AM or SW.

I remember, late one night in the 1960s in Massachusetts, my new little crystal radio that I made (with an outdoor copper wire antenna) for AM reception started pulling in VOA (Voice Of America--a broadcast to Africa...not sure where the transmitter was though).

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"

Old 03-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I remember fooling around w/my dad's Grundig portable-I got Radio Moscow on it-WOW !! The Russians ! The Godless Commies !! An' here I was listenin' to 'em ! I was hooked.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Luddite Tendencies

I'll never forget a "radio reception" experience I had as a teen. It was 1974, and one summer night I was driving back to the farm in my dad's new Ford pickup, returning from a wedding I'd attended. There was a terrific thunderstorm going on right on top of me, thundering and lightning non-stop. As the truck only had an AM radio, I was trying to tune in some of the local stations to get weather reports, but the static was so bad, it was basically worthless.

Suddenly, at one point on the dial the static was completely gone, and a station came in clear and strong. I listened for a little while, and while I don't remember the call letters, I do remember for certain that it was out of Albuquerque, New Mexico. I was driving in central North Dakota.

I still live here, and often listen to AM at night. I routinely pick up Chicago stations (WGN, WBBM, WLS), Salt Lake City (KSL?), Denver (KOA) and sometimes WBAP out of TX, to name a few. Usually reception is better in winter, maybe because of snow on the ground?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Peanut Head

I listened to Radio China for awhile (English broadcast) on the '65 Sony portable last night.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Ol' Sarge

Location: Undisclosable air base location somewhere in the middle east
DXing in Kyrgyzstan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Where you are right now, Steve, would be a WILD place to do some DXing...IF you could understand what they're saying...
In my dorm room I can barely receive anything--inside a big metal box. The only advantage living in a tent has over a dorm room is canvas doesn't block radio signals! I was very limited in my baggage so I brought a Kaito KA-1103 portable instead of my trusty 3000-1. When it warms up enough at night I'm going to try to do some DXing outside here. I am able to get Chinese AM stations on the radio in my truck....
Old 03-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Gizmo Nut

I remember vividly listening with my Dad on his, now mine Zenith transoceanic to the thrilla in manilla fight back in the 70's. Dad is now gone but I have 3 of the family radios, Crosley 124, Emerson 541 and the Zenith. I keep them well used and cared for. Yes, internet radio is neat and easy, but I agree, tuning in to the airwaves still has a magic to it. Heck, I still always look up in the air when I hear an airplane. My brother says it makes me look like a hick. I dont care. lol
Dan
Old 04-07-2007, 12:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

All of this brings up an interesting question. Is there any reason that it seems tube equipment often brings in stations from further away than transistor equipment does? I'd think that, all other things being basically equal, it should be about the same, but is there any real difference?
Audiokarma
Old 04-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Shaken, not stirred

That's a good question, but I think a lot of the answer is found in the various set-ups of verious radios. With the Superhet formula (antenna, r.f. amp, converter, i.f amp, detector, a.f amp then loudspeaker) signals are boosted to pretty sensitive levels. I'm not quite sure how it's done with solid state.
Home desk: Zenith X338 / H272W Circle of Sound
Truck: Kraco Dust-O-Matic, circa 1977
Old 04-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I remember reading back about 10 yrs or so ago that on a lot of the "primo" solid state communication receivers MW was deliberately de-sensitised.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:40 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quality of AM tuners not what it used to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
I remember reading back about 10 yrs or so ago that on a lot of the "primo" solid state communication receivers MW was deliberately de-sensitised.
The AM (MW) sections of most AM/FM receivers made in the last 30 years or so are not worth a hill of beans; that is, they may work well enough for local reception in close-in areas such as the near suburbs of major cities (or in the cities themselves), but any real distance from anything other than 50kW stations, forget it. Case in point: In the '80s, I had a Zenith four-mode integrated stereo system with an FM section which pulled in every major Cleveland station in stereo just fine, using just the line cord antenna (I lived about 15 miles closer to Cleveland at the time). The AM reception, however, left an awful lot to be desired. During daylight hours I could get most of the major Cleveland AMs, but at night all but the big 50kW stations were all but inaudible. On top of that, the AM section in my stereo was, IMHO, so poorly designed that I was hearing shortwave at certain points on the AM dial after dark. The AM tuner in my present stereo system (Aiwa 200-watt bookshelf system) isn't much better, and the FM tuner isn't much good either in this signal area some 30-40 miles southwest of the Cleveland FMs (I have a powered indoor "tower" antenna hooked up to it). I live about five miles from a 1kW (0.5kW or 500 watts nights) AM station that will appear at two points on the dial on my system's tuner, 0.9 MHz or 900 kHz apart--560 and 1460 kHz, the latter being the station's fundamental (assigned) frequency. Doesn't bother me, especially (or at all), as I don't listen to AM that much anyhow.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:06 AM
tube gear fanatic

i dont know if this has been brought up yet(too lazy to look) but if you want to dx the am broadcast band and dont have a decent am tuner or antenna i suggest using your car radio they're usally made to better specs (for cancelling out noise anyways)give it a shot especailly after sunset and report back here pronto

real radios glow in the dark...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:13 AM
tube gear fanatic

. Case in point: In the '80s, I had a Zenith four-mode integrated stereo system with an FM section which pulled in every major Cleveland station in stereo just fine, using just the line cord antenna (I lived about 15 miles closer to Cleveland at the time). The AM reception, however, left an awful lot to be desired. During daylight hours I could get most of the major Cleveland AMs, but at night all but the big 50kW stations were all but inaudible. On top of that, the AM section in my stereo was, IMHO, so poorly designed that I was hearing shortwave at certain points on the AM dial after dark.

sounds like a all to common problem.most mfg of tuners that included am rarely paid attention to that band.there is a few like the philips ah673 that with a good signal can actually provide something worth listening to.my tu9900 is not too bad either for am but when push comes to shove i haul out my tube communication receivers that seem to pull the signals out of the mud when i want to do some serious dx'ing.
Quote:
I live about five miles from a 1kW (0.5kW or 500 watts nights) AM station that will appear at two points on the dial on my system's tuner, 0.9 MHz or 900 kHz apart--560 and 1460 kHz, the latter being the station's fundamental (assigned) frequency. Doesn't bother me, especially (or at all), as I don't listen to AM that much anyhow.
what your experiencing is imaging and is a indactor or the receiver to reject them.

real radios glow in the dark...
Audiokarma