Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:38 AM
Convergence freak!

Hehe, thing im goona keep this one around for a while, but if I ever do decide to part with it, you guys will be the first to know!

I got done with the alignment tonight. This set is fairly easy to converge, believe it or not it has a board with 6 pots dedicated to convergence. It's so engineered (overengineered) that it had an access panel in front of the set just under the controls in the door that you remove 4 screws and there are the RGB drive adjustments. Along with these adjustments are switches to turn on and off each drive to the guns. I realigned the yoke positioning, convergence and purity and greyscale. Looks 100 times better then before.
The 30" CRT in 1981/82 must have been the beginning of the giant CRT's. Did Sony produce the forst CRT to be over 25". I think they were producing 27" CRT's before this 30" weren't they?

Anyway thanks for the comments and the help! It always makes a tv repair much more fun when I can share it on VK.

Last edited by freakaftr8; 05-14-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: multiple typos.. tired..
Old 05-14-2010, 04:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was hoping to see this thing working again. I love the picture, especially those onscreen control displays.

Sandy, a few years ago didn't someone on Audiokarma say they had one of these in Nashville? If I recall, they weren't too much into video gear. Maybe now that it is an outdated SD set they may want to chuck it.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

You got the smear fixed! Glad to help.... I'll still try to look into that CVM-3000, in case I can save it for parts. Now that a couple of the KV-3000s are in the hands of collectors, we need to have parts. If you want, I think I have the original sales receipt from the KV-3000 I bought "brand-new; as-is" in 1986 at Adray's. I might be able to make a color copy of it, if you're interested to have it. It's probably the only retail sales receipt for a KV-3000R to exist, and would be a cool piece of documentation for it. I don't think I have the owners manual anymore, as I probably gave it to the buyer of either that set, or the other one I had & sold.

Charles
Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8 View Post
I got done with the alignment tonight. This set is fairly easy to converge, believe it or not it has a board with 6 pots dedicated to convergence. It's so engineered (overengineered) that it had an access panel in front of the set just under the controls in the door that you remove 4 screws and there are the RGB drive adjustments. Along with these adjustments are switches to turn on and off each drive to the guns.
I have a Sony rack-mount monitor with the same feature (the pots and cutoff switches are in a little drawer) but it's pretty cool that they put the same feature into a consumer TV. Probably carried over from the CVM-3000...

Quote:
The 30" CRT in 1981/82 must have been the beginning of the giant CRT's. Did Sony produce the forst CRT to be over 25". I think they were producing 27" CRT's before this 30" weren't they?
I think Sony made 26" color CRTs before anyone else had made a color tube that large, but I think they started doing 27"s later, after the 30". The earliest Sony 27"s I've seen were late 80s, and there are both 26" and 27" Sonys listed in my 1986 J&R Music World catalog. If you count monochrome CRTs, DuMont beat everyone to the punch with their 30"!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Convergence freak!

Yep that DuMont I still gotta see a pic of that badboy sometime!

Charles: I would love a copy of the sales receipt, that would be so cool to have with the set for conversation! I still need to get the RM-706, I only got the W with this set. I found one on the bay for $100. Thinking I should snap it up. I wish it still had the tamo ash veneer sheet in a bag on the back of the set. Thats gone too.

You know whats funny, when I regestered and found AK/VK back in 07, I had a Zenith 19" Chromacolor that I saved from near ill fated doom. It had the same issue the sony did with the luminence dark on the left. That TV is how I found this site.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:19 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Yep that DuMont I still gotta see a pic of that badboy sometime!

Charles: I would love a copy of the sales receipt, that would be so cool to have with the set for conversation!
I'll dig up that receipt, if I do indeed still have it.

On the DuMont Royal Sovereign, PM me next time you're going to be in the LA area, and maybe there will be a chance to see one working .

I do have a few remotes which are identical to the 706, except no "door" button. I can't remember the number, but they came with the KV-2680R. The RM-705 (came with the Profeel monitors) is physically the same outside, but the slide-out has only ANT A-B and VIDEO SOURCE; no color or other aux buttons. The 706 is so rare that I'd go high on bidding if you do find one on eBay. I' ve never seen another one besides those which came with my KV-3000s.

Charles
Old 05-17-2010, 02:30 AM
Convergence freak!

Allow me to retort. I retract my previous staement about how easy this set is to set convergence. I have never met a CRT television that was more stubborn to fine tune convergence than this beast! When I adjust Y bow it adjusts vertically, when I adjust the bottom red bow (H HILT) it moves blue. Static ring convergence (horseshoe magnet on the CRT neck) it changes all over again for red VERT STAT... Im sort of a perfectionist unfortunantly, and dont stop until I achieve success. I have been screwing with this set since Friday morning (non stop and it's driving my wife nuts cause she says it looks good). Lol, anyway, as of Sunday...... Scratch that, (Monday) morning at 12:30 am.. I am relieved to say that I am done and the back is now on the set..

Does anyone have any idea what it's like to turn a cenvergence knob w/o being able to see the CRT? I have a blister on my right foot from dragging it over the carpet redundantly.

Anyway, yeah I may be crazy but I guess the results I look for seem to be scrutinous compared to lets say my wife or anyone else that has senn it in person so far. I'm sure some of you guys are the same way as me. Please say yes. Lol

Last edited by freakaftr8; 05-17-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:

Does anyone have any idea what it's like to turn a cenvergence knob w/o being able to see the CRT? I have a blister on my right foot from dragging it over the carpet redundantly.

Anyway, yeah I may be crazy but I guess the results I look for seem to be scrutinous compared to lets say my wife or anyone else that has senn it in person so far. I'm sure some of you guys are the same way as me. Please say yes. Lol
On the convergence; I replaced the CRT in one of mine, by swapping in a better one from a CVM-3000. I left the yoke and neck apparatus in place, so no problem. I can't remember, but aren't the dynamic pots in the black metal cover below the aux controls on the front? I wish I had the alignment & setup manual on that set, but I never ordered it at the time. I do have it for other Sonys of that vintage, but it sounds like you got it set.

On the time being spent obsessed with a hobby item and your wife, I know all about that. Try explaining why you and your wife should get in a truck, and spend 10 days driving 6000 miles round trip, to get a 1200-lb air raid siren to install on your patio... Then spending days installing and wiring it up to the house .

Charles
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Convergence freak!

Thought this was kinda cool. Here is a 1982 airing of the CES show with Kerry Decker, and 5:16 into it you see the KV-3000R with the doors opening and turned on. Theres no sound though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ8qmilo8ic
Old 05-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Convergence freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
On the time being spent obsessed with a hobby item and your wife, I know all about that. Try explaining why you and your wife should get in a truck, and spend 10 days driving 6000 miles round trip, to get a 1200-lb air raid siren to install on your patio... Then spending days installing and wiring it up to the house .

Charles
Lol, yes I totally know what you are talking about. I get the "do you really need that" when I even go to Reno to pick up something, like an extra snowboard when I have a perfectly good Burton at the house.. Recently my wife has been bugging me to take down the aerial antenna on the roof. I like it where it's at including the rotator motor control in the livingroom for aesthetics reasons. lol
Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one

I have a Sony Trinitron kv-3000r... I'm in the Saint Louis area of Missouri and I'm trying to find it a home that isn't mine... when I first moved in, I was amazed what a hunk of junk it was, then I grew to love it, it's super awesome and were I in my own home I would keep it, but I don't know how to get it out to a good home. Where did you find yours? I've been itching to toy with this one as one of the doors don't work properly, but have not had the ability to do so, so it's used to play wii, which makes me laugh every time I see my brothers at it, luckily, they can see the quality of the piece and haven't wrecked it.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

The Holy Grail. $10,000 bucks. Remember when 15" was a huge Trinitron. Beautiful set, a work of industrial and design art. Awesome details abound with it. Leaves one at a loss for words.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fabulous set. Good to see it coming back to life!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verodevi View Post
I have a Sony Trinitron kv-3000r... I'm in the Saint Louis area of Missouri and I'm trying to find it a home that isn't mine... when I first moved in, I was amazed what a hunk of junk it was, then I grew to love it, it's super awesome and were I in my own home I would keep it, but I don't know how to get it out to a good home. Where did you find yours? I've been itching to toy with this one as one of the doors don't work properly, but have not had the ability to do so, so it's used to play wii, which makes me laugh every time I see my brothers at it, luckily, they can see the quality of the piece and haven't wrecked it.
Hmm, I live in STL, that's kind of tempting if you still have it. But at 500lb even being in my own backyard I just don't know that it's something I could handle.

I'm much more into the portable Sony televisions from the 1980s on up, including the active matrix LCD models and the video walkmans.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

[non-affiliated]

Found a KV-3000R on Washington craigslist. Wish I had the space!

> SONY TV IN GORGEOUS BURGUNDY CABINET WITH MATCHING STAND - $200 (Olympia)

> Gorgeous dark burgundy hardwood cabinet with electric door back in the day there were only a few made and the cost was $10,000 perfect condition very heavy.

> Delivery is negotiable. comes with matching DVD stand $200

archive pics:

https://imgur.com/a/kenr2ZT

KV3000 KV3000R KV 3000 KV 3000-R burled rosewood mohagany black Japanese Balsa wood tamo ashwood
Audiokarma