Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Roper View Post
If you'll drop it off in the driveway on your way through I'll see that it's disposed of properly.
Hey ! Dammit, that's MY line...Work yer OWN side of th' Street ! (grin)
Old 06-20-2011, 04:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

It looks like the tuner may have been replaced by a DuMont inductuner. Yes, this will reduce the value, since the cabinet was changed to make room. My guess is that the chassis was hacked to make room for the new tuner, further reducing the value.

Looks like the radio has been modified too. Some chassis photos would show what had been changed.

Even with these modifications the set is worth much more than $500.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Roper View Post
That and it appears likely the TV tuner was modified, probably with a postwar 12 or 13 channel tuner to replace the 5 channel original.
Well, assuming everything else is original and the cabinet is in as good condition as it appears, how badly is this going to hurt its value? I can't imagine that the original tuner is something that can be picked up on ebay.

Thoughts please?
Dave

Fisher, Grundig, Motorola & Magnavox Consoles | Dahlquist DQ-30 | DCM TimeWindow 3 | PSB Stratus Gold i | RtR II-F | Klipsch KG-4 | KLH 6 & System 20 | Nakamichi PA-7 | B&K Monoblocks | Outlaw Audio 950 | Carver MXR-130 | Pioneer SX-1250 | Sansui 9090DB
Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McVoy View Post
It looks like the tuner may have been replaced by a DuMont inductuner. Yes, this will reduce the value, since the cabinet was changed to make room. My guess is that the chassis was hacked to make room for the new tuner, further reducing the value.

Looks like the radio has been modified too. Some chassis photos would show what had been changed.
Thank you Steve, that all makes perfect sense. If I'm able to get it, the first thing I'll do is pull the back off and post some pics of the guts.

Dave

Fisher, Grundig, Motorola & Magnavox Consoles | Dahlquist DQ-30 | DCM TimeWindow 3 | PSB Stratus Gold i | RtR II-F | Klipsch KG-4 | KLH 6 & System 20 | Nakamichi PA-7 | B&K Monoblocks | Outlaw Audio 950 | Carver MXR-130 | Pioneer SX-1250 | Sansui 9090DB
Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Wow.....Like findin' a Duesenberg in a locked, dry shed....I'm in awe...
Well, apparently a little closer to finding a Jag E-Type Series 1 with a small-block Chevy shoehorned into it. Hopefully, most of the body and suspension are original. My initial excitement has waned a bit with each new post by those with knowledge.

Dave

Audiokarma
Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Damn does run fast…

I'd suspect it's mostly original under the hood, save for the tuner and maybe the sound modified for FM. Even still, it's worth a good chunk of change - they just didn't make many of these sets to begin with. I'd say a good number of the remaining ones are in museums...
Old 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasadowsk View Post
... and maybe the sound modified for FM.
How can you tell? I didn't see FM on the radio dial.

Dave

Old 06-20-2011, 05:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

It is possible to rebuild the original tuner if the chassis hasn't been cut to make room for the new tuner.

Our database has a total of 68 surviving TRK-12/120s, by far the highest number of any prewar sets. About 1800 were made.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/prewar_database.html

The modification for FM sound refers to FM sound for the television. Prior to 1941, TV sound was AM, and some prewar sets were modified to add FM detectors. Restoring the AM detector is usually easy.

As for value, a nice, complete set usually sells for about $8,000. The modifications affect the appearance of the set, which hurts value more than if they were only internal changes. The cabinet of this set looks pretty good. I would guess that it would sell for between $4,000 and $6,000, depending on the condition of the chassis. However, prices of old TV sets are all over the place, depending on who is looking for a particular set at any given time.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

The FM reference is to how the tv tuner handled tv sound. Nothing to do with the radio which could not sniff FM.

Get down there tonight with $500 to start. I will loan you the rest for a partnership,

Dave A
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Wow Steve! You are apparently VideoKarma's resident TV equivalent to AudioKarma's resident Fisher expert Carter (TheRed1). Thank you for your informative reply.

Dave

Audiokarma
Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Here are some better pics of the TV tuner mod:

And the radio side:

I really wish she'd come back to the house. I last saw her Friday evening when her husband-to-be and his brother were moving stuff out of the house. I'm really happy that she's getting re-married (she's 50-something like me), but the fact that she's left this in an un-locked garage has me a bit worried.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0996.jpg (64.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0997.jpg (45.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0999.jpg (53.0 KB, 160 views)

Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

As Dave A said, you need to get down there TONIGHT and buy that set. No questions asked, just make a deal and get it. You cannot loose! If someone else discovers this set, they will buy it immediately.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm in CT If you decide you don't want it let me know i will buy it! Thanks Eric
Old 06-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Heck, I would FLY to Connecticut and drive a rented truck 3200 miles back home if I could buy this TV for $500! I hope you get it soon.

Really, though, if you do not want to keep the set and restore it/have it restored for yourself, putting it on Ebay is probably your best bet to offer it to the widest group of people who would want it. Offer to assist the buyer if they choose a company such as Craters and Freighters to pick it up, pack it, and have it shipped to their home.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Anybody else notice the missing decals on the TV control side board? Also it looks like the board is mahogany rather than the tight grained walnut normally used, possibly replaced when tuner mod happened.
With all the dust can't tell if the radio side board has labels.

Looks to be a TRK-12 rather than a TRK-120, radio appears to have an eye tube, and the bottom kick panel looks to have the center open.

Biggest unknown is going to be the CRT, they can be rebuilt ($1000+), but a verified good one would make the set a lot easier to sell.

I think if I came across this set, I'd be inclined to leave the tuner in it. It's part of its history, the owners thought the set was worth spending a bit of money to update it and continue using it possibly into the late 40's or early 50's.

If you do end up with this set, the most important thing to protect is the CRT. If you aren't comfortable removing it then make sure the set is transported straight up, DO NOT let it tip over as you risk breaking the neck of the tube. If you do decide to remove the CRT, be extremely careful removing the high voltage cable on the CRT bell, over time this connection corrodes and if you pull on it you can pull the HV terminal off and run the risk of cracking the glass.

Looks like you will be upgrading your audio system - BIG TIME

Good Luck

Chuck

Learn from the mistakes of others -
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Last edited by ChuckA; 06-20-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Audiokarma