Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hk323

What is the Best way to Fire up a ikegami Hk323 Camera chain, that has seen no power since the late 1980,s please .

Last edited by XDCAM; 10-31-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

XD CAM-

I would inspect both the head and CCU for evidence of leakage in electrolytics, charred components, blown fuses, etc. Don't apply power until these are corrected, if evident.

I would use a Variac on the CCU and monitor the voltages on the CCU power supply. Bring the Variac up very slowly. You may be able to reform the capacitors, or maybe not. Make sure the head is disconnected.

You should be able to connect a sync generator, waveform, and pix mon, and control panel, and see bars on the output. That confirms that the pulses are correct and that the encoder and power supply are working.

The head is trickier, as it is likely a switcher power supply. I have had success in reforming electrolytics in camera head supplies in RCA cameras using a Heath variable bench supply. Do this slowly with each main electrolytic in the camera head supply.

Check for any shorts on the rails.

At this point try applying camera head power. Note that the VF and lens can also create problems for the power supply.

If you are serious about restoring this best selling camera, consider replacing the electrolytics. When ABC was originating two soaps in NY not long ago with HK-377s, a maintenance person spent most of his time replacing electrolytics on these cameras, and they were a lot newer than the 323s.

Good luck.

JB
Old 11-04-2014, 05:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

How many of these are made ?

Last edited by XDCAM; 11-04-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

XD Cam-

The HK-323/323P cameras sold very well. At one time, both NBC and ABC in the US
had them on their large OB vans. The 2/3" format permited smaller optics than the 30mm tube cameras.

I heard at one time that over 1000 were sold worldwide, but that seems unrealisticly high. In the 1980s, the first CCD cameras were appearing from BTS and Sony,and that development doomed the 323 and other tube cameras, at least in standard definition. Ikegami had a difficult time transitioning into CCD cameras, purchasing their imagers and tape transports from their competitors, but once established, did quite well.

But then, Sony and Panasonic decided that they wanted to be in the the high end ENG and studio/field business, and Ikegami never recovered from that period.

Regards,

JB
Old 11-11-2014, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ballard View Post
XD Cam-

The HK-323/323P cameras sold very well. At one time, both NBC and ABC in the US
had them on their large OB vans. The 2/3" format permited smaller optics than the 30mm tube cameras.

I heard at one time that over 1000 were sold worldwide, but that seems unrealisticly high. In the 1980s, the first CCD cameras were appearing from BTS and Sony,and that development doomed the 323 and other tube cameras, at least in standard definition. Ikegami had a difficult time transitioning into CCD cameras, purchasing their imagers and tape transports from their competitors, but once established, did quite well.

But then, Sony and Panasonic decided that they wanted to be in the the high end ENG and studio/field business, and Ikegami never recovered from that period.

Regards,

JB
Thanks for the info . I wonder how many are left . In NZ all have been Dumped (OB Vans / Studios years ago . I've saved this one from the skip.
It had sat at the back of a Warehouse for years .
Audiokarma
Old 11-27-2014, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Power supply Up (OK ) ! .Very similar to the LDK5 .

Last edited by XDCAM; 11-27-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

We have Vision !!1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rotation of Resize of IMG-20150102-00353.jpg (65.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Resize of IMG-20141213-00333.jpg (47.8 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by XDCAM; 01-10-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow .I'm so happy for you.

I had a Ikegami camera back in the early 1990's which I got from a friend which it was a curb find.I cant recall the model number at this moment .

I think it was mid 1970's model blue and white with a 5 inch viewfinder.I have photos somewhere of it' I will look for them.

I did fire it up and got a blurry picture out of it .

I end up trading it with another friend in the broadcast biz for other equipment a couple years later.I should of held on to it.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks it gets better the longer its been running .Are these the last of the tube Cameras ?

Last edited by XDCAM; 01-11-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

HK 323 Has anybody got a close-up picture please ,of the Plate that goes under these .(Size) . As usual this Camera got none .I think it must be very long to balance a big Box lens . I will try to make one ! (Try)
Audiokarma