Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:02 AM
Banned

Yeah Goodwill stopped taking TVs all together even LCDs from what I've heard, and the last time I saw TVs in a Goodwill store which was in April of this year they had two LCD TVs there and they both had busted screens, I'm thinking that part of the reason why Goodwill stopped taking TVs all together was because they were becoming too much of a liability for them (too many returns on broken LCDs, too many employees and customers getting injured while trying to carry CRT Televisions, expensive hazardous waste cleanup costs whenever a CRT TV was thrown into a donation bin and the CRT broke, etc).
Old 11-07-2015, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

... I recently posted a link from local ABC affiliate re: GW no longer accepting tv's
... stopped in the Carbondale IL GW today ... 11 sets on display for sale ... they ranged from a 36" Sharp set identical to my daily watcher to a matched pair of JVC 27" sets a few RCA bpc sets a few misc sets and , the pick of the litter , an all woodgrain plastic Zenith SentryII 20" set ... left them all there although was tempted to snag that Zenith ...
Stores must get to set their own policy on acceptable items ... BTW Carbondale is a major university town... SIU's enrollment is 16000 plus so that may have some bearing on management's decisions
All the sets I saw today were CRT sets

Last edited by RobtWB; 11-07-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:51 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Some great reading in this thread, which I somehow forgot I posted! I very briefly tried offering TVs for free on Craigslist, but very quickly halted this practice because I was getting more scrappers than legitimate users!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:42 AM
Stuck in the past!

Goodwill here still takes them. I let someone take about 12 sets 3 yrs ago thinking they would do something good with them. They left them out in the rain and a couple months later, they pop up on craigslist for free. I responded but when he admitted the whole time he had them, they were kept outside, I said forget it. Idiot even broke the best one in the lot by breaking the back off. Man was I pizzed.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:50 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
Goodwill here still takes them. I let someone take about 12 sets 3 yrs ago thinking they would do something good with them. They left them out in the rain and a couple months later, they pop up on craigslist for free. I responded but when he admitted the whole time he had them, they were kept outside, I said forget it. Idiot even broke the best one in the lot by breaking the back off. Man was I pizzed.
I would also understandably be greatly upset if something similar happened to me. I think most everyday folks just don't have the same level of appreciation for this stuff that we do, and so things like this occur. This is why I try to make sure my sets go to people that will actually USE them. (This is getting more and more difficult.)
Old 12-26-2015, 10:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Savers (Value Village) locations in my area still accept them and one local thrift does as well. The thrift is kinda crazy though, 27" and higher sets carry prices of $60-100+ while even 20" sets are $25 or so. They're all Y2K sets and trashed but at least they have them plugged in and running. The odd LCD I see there from time to time, even if it's tiny from a no-name brand, is always over $100. Funny thing is I hauled a late '90s RCA and JVC up there a few months ago and a worker said they were too old and they only accept flat panels. Probably just lazy that day.

Savers/VVs are much more reasonable, the highest price I've seen was a 36" JVC for $25. Picked up a like-new 20" Sony WEGA for a friend's son's retro gaming for $7.

Last edited by Damnation; 12-26-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnation View Post
The Savers (Value Village) locations in my area still accept them and one local thrift does as well. The thrift is kinda crazy though, 27" and higher sets carry prices of $60-100+ while even 20" sets are $25 or so.
Visited the thrift earlier today, took a few pics to show their craziness... (first pic is $24.24)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160116_105333.jpg (59.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20160116_105811.jpg (49.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20160116_105308.jpg (53.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20160116_105315.jpg (41.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Visited the thrift earlier today, took a few pics to show their craziness... (first pic is $24.24)
That's what they should be offering to haul them away.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:07 PM
M is for Memory

Perhaps in your attempts to reason them down to a reasonable price you should repeat every word twice.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-17-2016, 04:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Haha, can only explain it that there's a city landfill about a mile away, so I think after a certain amount of time if they don't move they're just hauled to the dump. Seem to always have "new" CRTs every time I go every couple weeks.
Audiokarma
Old 01-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Ignorant pricing. Apparently ran by idiots. Tvs here are dirt cheap or free. There were 3 36" sets a couple weeks ago for $15 each. I went back a few days ago and 2 of them sold. They actually sell quite well here if they're cheap enough.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

My nephews recently gave their mother a 55" flattie for Christmas. I asked her if she wanted me to move her old set to another room (She's a 5'0" widow and the set weighs 99 pounds). She then said my nephews had already pitched the set to the curb, I asked her if there were anything wrong with it, and she said it was fine. She did not even ask anyone if they wanted a perfectly functioning digital-ready color TV.

Fortunately, it was not raining that evening. I'm now the happy owner of a Sony KD27FS170! Fortunately, it was not raining that night. It survived both the cold (right around freezing) and my clumsy handling. The picture really is as good as new, as is the cabinet. Definitely an upgrade over the 1994 19" Daewoo I had been using in the bedroom (PM me if you want it).

I found I still had to use a converter box with it, since like most sets of its era (November, 2006), it has less tolerance for multipath than the CECBs, and the set is hooked up to an attic antenna, with the closest stations off the side of the antenna.

As for people who don't want CRT sets in their homes - I find in my acquaintances that it is those with the lowest incomes that really want to replace their CRT sets with flat screens. They don't want other people to think that they're poor, and feel that a CRT set in the home implies poverty.

One may have noticed that I discussed the digital tuner in this set. Yes, contrary to a previous post in this thread, there are sets that have a both a digital tuner and a CRT, a fact that a lot of people seem to be unaware of (I have seen cases where a thrift store has two otherwise identical sets, only one with the SDTV mark, and the other without, set at the same price).

Last edited by Robert Grant; 01-17-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: the sign-out timer here is extremely short
Old 01-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
That silver Sylvania with the DVD & VCR for $39.99 ~ We got one as a new
daily watcher, $15. I think off CL months ago..... Has a great picture !
After seeing it in action, I would get another - even for $40. But ours
is branded Magnavox, same look, same cabinet, same button layout.

Why...? $40. is cheap, it comes with a DVD and VCR that works pretty well.
if it lasts 5 years it costs less than $5/yr. vs. cable at $1400/yr (if you have it)
and as a flat CRT the picture is much, much better than I expected.....
If it lasts 9 years, then it will have outlasted the average flat panel....

It's actually a good time to buy a tv, if your into "watching tv" and not
so much expecting some kind of "Experience !"

Last edited by Username1; 01-17-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Administrator

The Mormon Thrift Store seems to have stopped taking CRT's, haven't seen one there in weeks except for one or two out in the recycle pile.
The last one I got there was a Portacolor. Goodwill and the independent store still carry them.

Flat screens are becoming common, I could have picked up a non functional Samsung this weekend if I wanted to, probably had bad caps in the power supply.

LCD Computer Monitors are really common at the thrifts around here, both 4:3 and 16:9, usually for only $10 or $15 too, I've picked up couple for spares.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:14 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
LCD Computer Monitors are really common at the thrifts around here, both 4:3 and 16:9, usually for only $10 or $15 too, I've picked up couple for spares.
Yeah, I got my 19" LG Flatron L192WS around two years ago for 7 bucks I think, minus my discount. However, I ended up wasting more than that ordering a crappy signal cable that caused ghosting issues. Anyway, it still runs strong and is Korean-made (not great but at least not Chinese), so I can't complain.
Audiokarma