Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
That's a bit unfair comparing to HD, I think the OP meant later CRT sets?
Okay. That's fine, don't want to create controversey. The tread creator wanted to know why folks liked roundies and went on to say that he didn't think flat panels were that great compared to roundies or that is the impression I got.

I like the latest technology in flat panels and I also appreciate the nostalgia of the roundies. IMHO, the best quality color television that exists today, is produced by 4K OLED flat panel television.

It is possible to demonstrate HD to a certain extent via a digital converter box on a roundie with a screenshot. A roundie then, is displaying a digital HD signal, limited by its technology. A flat panel can better display an HD image. If one says that a flat panel is not great in comparison to a roundie, I question that.

Last edited by etype2; 04-11-2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: To clarify last paragraph.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

like I said....there is just somethinhg "different" about roundies--at least Zenith roundies. I can't put my finger on it.....but I N OW I am NOT alone in feeling this way.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I wouldn't turn one down. Besides, I think I got the roundie adapter with my Sencore CR70 (socket 8? It's a big one).
Old 04-12-2015, 12:35 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
It is possible to demonstrate HD to a certain extent via a digital converter box on a roundie with a screenshot. A roundie then, is displaying a digital HD signal, limited by its technology. A flat panel can better display an HD image. If one says that a flat panel is not great in comparison to a roundie, I question that.
Unless you want to neglect resolution, the only fair comparison of an NTSC set and a HD set is feeding both NTSC a resolution signal.

Ultimately horizontal scanlines and signal bandwidth are nearly as concrete a limit on resolution in the analog domain as pixel count is in the digital domain, and unless we start modifying our sets beyond factory specs (at least that is possible and somewhat more practical for a CRT display) those limits are fixed quantities.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-12-2015, 08:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

"So this may be interesting. Do they actually make a better picture in any kind of way than later sets, or is it all nostalgia? Maybe simply the love and interest in vintage tube type electronics as a lost science as is a bit of the case with me as well. Waddaya think?
______________"

That was the last part of his question. IMHO, in terms of ultimate picture quality, flat panels are superior to roundies. Yes, LCD flat panels had problems, but most of those problems have been eliminated. With my calibrated Sharp Quatron which has 25% more pixels than a regular LCD, I can't see the pixels unless I put my eyes on top of the screen. I see no scan lines. I get a 16x9 screen format which means I can see 100% of the image content with pixel by pixel image mapping. I get HD and now 4K resolution, not to mention the theater like experience from a 70 inch widescreen. I plan on going larger with the next set. For me, those advantages out weigh the nostalgia of the roundie, but I still like the roundies for the memories of my first color experiences in the 50's and my first color set in 1966.

Last edited by etype2; 04-12-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think the movie, "Finding Nemo" would be a great candidate for a vintage TV set. For sure, it would get our sons and grandsons glued to the screen .

But that is just my 2˘ and for sure, there will be those who disagree!
Old 04-12-2015, 09:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

I found out why my CT-100 was generating blue water and costumes on LOTR
when my big Sony was generating bluish green. The Sony is simply wrong.

I tried watching numerous OTA TV channels broadcasting movies and
low-key scenes, especially from police dramas. They showed the same effect
at the Warm 2 setting I was using on the Sony to get a low color temperature.
Night scenes outdoors are, by convention on TV, blue, not green. They showed
up green, all of them. Changing the TV to "Neutral" made them blue. It appears
that on my TV calibration is per color temp setting and I only calibrated "neutral".
Old 04-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Australian Young'un

Quote:
"So this may be interesting. Do they actually make a better picture in any kind of way than later sets, or is it all nostalgia? Maybe simply the love and interest in vintage tube type electronics as a lost science as is a bit of the case with me as well. Waddaya think?
______________"

That was the last part of his question. IMHO, in terms of ultimate picture quality, flat panels are superior to roundies. Yes, LCD flat panels had problems, but most of those problems have been eliminated. With my calibrated Sharp Quatron which has 25% more pixels than a regular LCD, I can't see the pixels unless I put my eyes on top of the screen. I see no scan lines. I get a 16x9 screen format which means I can see 100% of the image content with pixel by pixel image mapping. I get HD and now 4K resolution, not to mention the theater like experience from a 70 inch widescreen. I plan on going larger with the next set. For me, those advantages out weigh the nostalgia of the roundie, but I still like the roundies for the memories of my first color experiences in the 50's and my first color set in 1966.
I don't understand all the hype about HD, Ultra HD etc. In computer monitors where I'm positioned close to the device and need to read small text, yes. In smartphones where I need to be able to view content clearly on a tiny screen, yes. On televisions where I'm sitting metres away, not really. I've always thought that if you have a problem with the resolution of your television, you're probably sitting too close.

Even with glasses, I can't see any difference between a SD television and a "Super Mega Ultra HD++" television from a good viewing distance, certainly not enough of a difference to make me dump my reliable old 80's Samsung and run out to buy one. The only problems I've ever had were trying to read sports scores on a tiny 14" portable, which has since taken place in the attic.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Electronic M;3131250]Unless you want to neglect resolution, the only fair comparison of an NTSC set and a HD set is feeding both NTSC a resolution signal."

This could be done by taking a screenshot of a standard definition signal still broadcasting on some channels on a flat panel set.

The question posed was "So this may be interesting. Do they actually make a better picture in any kind of way than later sets, or is it all nostalgia? Maybe simply the love and interest in vintage tube type electronics as a lost science as is a bit of the case with me as well. Waddaya think?
______________"

So if you ask to take the HD resolution advantage away from the flat panel in comparison testing screenshots, that would be unfair.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
Fifth Element may have some good scenes.
In another thread, I believe someone said that this scene from Fifth Element is a favorite of TV salesmen:

Salesmen may have different goals than engineers, of course.

Phil Nelson
Audiokarma
Old 04-12-2015, 01:13 PM
M is for Memory

[QUOTE=etype2;3131276]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Unless you want to neglect resolution, the only fair comparison of an NTSC set and a HD set is feeding both NTSC a resolution signal."

This could be done by taking a screenshot of a standard definition signal still broadcasting on some channels on a flat panel set.

The question posed was "So this may be interesting. Do they actually make a better picture in any kind of way than later sets, or is it all nostalgia? Maybe simply the love and interest in vintage tube type electronics as a lost science as is a bit of the case with me as well. Waddaya think?
______________"

So if you ask to take the HD resolution advantage away from the flat panel in comparison testing screenshots, that would be unfair.
Perhaps we should let the OP weigh in rather than quoting him and acting as him in his stead.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Electronic M;3131287]
Quote:

Perhaps we should let the OP weigh in rather than quoting him and acting as him in his stead.

First of all, this is the full quote of his question:

"I have always sort of liked having a working "roundie" color set around for decades now, but i'm not sure why really. I personally think that they can make as decent a picture as most anything else I have seen, but I also think that the flat screens everyone has gone nuts over don't look that great really. Or not great enough for me to spend the money that they at least once commanded at retail.

So what do some of you think the attraction is to these sets. I know some will be people who were kids when these were new and it was a BIG deal to have any color TV. So they will say they have fond memories of those days. As for me; I am almost 46 and there were certainly a lot of those sets around and remained in use until I was well into my teen years, but in my life most families had a color TV. For us screen size could be impressive and remote control was impressive, and projection sets with wall screens were impressive (or the later huge single unit projection sets).

So this may be interesting. Do they actually make a better picture in any kind of way than later sets, or is it all nostalgia? Maybe simply the love and interest in vintage tube type electronics as a lost science as is a bit of the case with me as well. Waddaya think?"

Last I heard, this is America, we have free speech. Anybody on this forum has the right to quote another. I have read the rules when signing up to speak on this forum and in the five years that I have been here, I have conducted myself in a gentleman maner.

This thread asked for opinions on his question. I have posted my opinion. You are entitled to your opinion as am I. You cannot stop me from expressing my opinion. It is called debate. If I get out of line, an Administrator can step in.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:33 PM
M is for Memory

Touchy ain't we?

Old 04-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Even though I've never seen a roundie in person, I know I'd rather pay for one of those than a flat panel. Another advantage of roundies is that they're not constantly increasing in size and resolution, so there will be no psychological need to swipe the plastic every few months to replace them.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

I guess I'm the "op" that has been mentioned. I'm not sure what to say about the static concerning quoting me. I certainly don't mind. Frankly I didn't get what the problem was. Perhaps something was deleted. I don't know, but it didn't seem to make much sense.

Anyway, it seems that my thread drummed up a lot of interesting points of view and took off rather well here on page 7. I didn't really mean to compare to the flats and stuff that are to me apples to oranges. I really meant a comparison to later c.r.t. sets. I do agree though with at least one post that I read that the new stuff really doesn't look all that great. As far as a theater experience goes, I would rather take a night out to a theater than invest in one for my home....

Last edited by Tubejunke; 04-13-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Audiokarma