Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:55 AM
Analogue is Awesome

I was doing some searching and found this article which I think is disgusting in a way,this comes from a MAINSTREAM newspaper I think...

http://www.timesunion.com/business/a...Vs-5986626.php

These quotes really make me sad

Quote:
He said there are likely another "five to eight years' worth" of CRTs still in consumers's hands and "that is a lot of tubes." The stewardship council started issuing written warnings to DEC about the CRT glut in mid-2013.
Yea and the ppl that have these KNOW EXACTLY HOW LUCKY WE ARE!!

Quote:
Stockpiles of valueless CRTs also turned up in Cincinnati, Baltimore, Denver and in Arizona. Because of the lead, federal law classifies the tubes as hazardous waste
VALUELESS??

Nothing nicer than a CRT and mainstream articles like this trying to make this older stuff LOOK BAD really makes me sick!!!!

WHY DONT THEY DONATE THEM ALL TO SALVATION ARMY????? -- PLENTY OF PPL WHO LOVE THEM AND STILL WANT THEM!!!!!! (Im sure alot they get WORK w/o issues)

Last edited by Dude111; 01-01-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Problem is, who wants say a circa 1996 Emerson 32" BPC set? I'd wager nobody.....
Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Small minded individuals, you should not give them any attention, and not increase
their readership.....

The lead in tubes poses no threat to anyone.... Until the tube is collected, put in a container
shipped to a third world nation, and busted, burned for it's metals, and left to be crushed
into small enough pieces to make it's way into food, and water systems....

And there is more than enough evidence to show that that is exactly what the recycling
of old tv's actually is....

Old 01-01-2015, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have realized this for some time now...

TIME is running OUT for this hobby !! Every year....our 'treasures" dissapear FOREVER...a bit more. It will not be too long when it will be nearly IMPOSSIBLE_-and likely ILLEGAL--to collect an old tv set...
Old 01-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Yah....... It'll be illegal... That's one to worry about...

Old 01-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
WHY DONT THEY DONATE THEM ALL TO SALVATION ARMY????? -- PLENTY OF PPL WHO LOVE THEM AND STILL WANT THEM!!!!!! (Im sure alot they get WORK w/o issues)
The Starvation Army would dump them in no time flat, BPC or vintage.

I seriously doubt that possessing old TVs would become illegal. Enforcing a law like that might just be enough of a waste of taxpayer money to cause a huge public outcry. Also, I think even the hipsters are fascinated by the more weird looking ones, and what they want, they get.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:18 PM
I love old stuff

I hope hipsters in Romania will start to like C.R.T. tvs too!
Now, here is a really big waste of good things. I guess unleass one quarter of those sets from the filming where in good condition and could be given too poor people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlhQa3cMBs ... and, shees I think there was an '80's "Sony" Trinitron tv there (the silver one with a glass in front of the screen). Well, but it was in Arad, not in Bucharest.
Marea debarasare = The great rid off. A good way to make people to throw away valuble things (I've seen '50-'60 radios beeing dumped) or that could be easy repaird (not to the mention about all working stuff that had been dumped) and to make them buy new trash.
I managed to save some stuff from a collecting center. No tv unfortenley. The good side of coruption.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

They mind as will lock me up with 300 plus counts of possession of CRT sets.
We live in a corrupt gullible era that the public is stupid and believe all the media BS thats out there.

They showed it when DTV hit the airwaves and believe the BS the feds and the media said that digital TV is better then analog and need the channel bandwidth for emergency response radio.

DTV is crap and the corrupt telecommunication corps got they want.

Sorry about the rant.

I now have a JVC 32 inch set in back of my car waiting to get moved into my house once I make a space for it.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Even though the 1989 GE I was given is not something I would normally go after, it stays. I even sourced an OEM remote for it. No more scrapping of good TVs for me.

I consider almost any electronic item I buy to be a long-term investment. I save for quality rather than buying something cheap that will soon need to be replaced.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:53 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
The Starvation Army would dump them in no time flat, BPC or vintage.

I seriously doubt that possessing old TVs would become illegal. Enforcing a law like that might just be enough of a waste of taxpayer money to cause a huge public outcry. Also, I think even the hipsters are fascinated by the more weird looking ones, and what they want, they get.
Before the local SA closed they offered BPC CRT sets, and I even once bought a 1952 Philco split chassis set from them.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 01-01-2015, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Small minded individuals, you should not give them any attention, and not increase
their readership.....

The lead in tubes poses no threat to anyone.... Until the tube is collected, put in a container
shipped to a third world nation, and busted, burned for it's metals, and left to be crushed
into small enough pieces to make it's way into food, and water systems....

And there is more than enough evidence to show that that is exactly what the recycling
of old tv's actually is....

I could go on for HOURS...about what you just said...i KNOW it is true--to some degree.

Years ago--I was with that guy I worked with on tv's maybe 6-8 years back. I was on a house call. The garbage truck was coming around picking up RECYCLABLES. You would expect a recycling truck--to pick up things seperate--but NO. I was a NORMAL PACKER TRUCK--and the guy tossed EVERYTHING into it , normal garbage and recyclables and packed it all into the truck !! This was rumpke_--supposed to be "green" and the just tossed it ALL in together!! So--WHY even BOTHER to seperate--if it ALL goes int the SAME truck ???

I do not really want to go off onto a rant--but for the most part....the ENTIRE "green" agenda...it about JUST THAT...GREEN--as in the type in WALLETS !!
Old 01-01-2015, 06:43 PM
M is for Memory

Yeah I know of some schools that make a big deal of separating recyclables only to dump it all into the same garbage hopper....You are right about it being 'monitory green'. The old reds are the new greens, and they have found some ingeniously devious ways to indirectly get their way.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1
Small minded individuals, you should not give them any attention, and not increase their readership.....
Ya your absolutely right!!!!!

This is why I usually do not read mainstream papers,i cannot stand seeing garbage like this!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, lessee now... I have ALL SORTS of interests that go AGAINST the grain of what is "Socially Responsible"... I drive one of the WORST gas hogs on the hiway-A V-10 4X4 Excursion, I have OVER 100 Guns of all various shapes, sizes, & calibres, including a LEGAL full-auto Uzi, I have a HOUSEFUL of ancient radios & TVs that have God only knows WHAT kinds of Noxious Pollutants THEY have, & I kicked at a Puppy here the other day.. Not only THAT, but I ALSO tore off the "Do NOT Remove This Tag" from my Mattress...
Old 01-01-2015, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pardon my newbie question, but what does BPC stand for?
Audiokarma