Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Huh?

Question What's the best stuff to watch on a roundie?

Just sitting here wondering what shows/movies/etc. would be the most appropriate for watching on a roundie.
Two that spring to mind are the 1964 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (wish I could find it with the original GE commercials. I can still remember seeing the little elves flying around on toaster ovens and steam irons and stuff) and Batman. Something about both of those just looks better on a roundie.
Opinions?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Peter Pan and others

Find a copy (DVD will be more stable) of the 1959 recording of "Peter Pan" with Mary Martin. Available at most video stores or on ebay. The VHS may be out of print though. It was recorded at the old NBC Brooklyn studios in glorious RCA TK-41 color (3 camera shoot). It was mastered from the original video tape about 10 years ago. It does not have the NBC peacock on it though.

Another place is your local PBS affiliate. During fund raisers, they will trot out an old Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Judy Garland song and dance special from the early 60's. Not great color on this one. There is a show with these three called "Once in a Lifetime" on Amazon from 1962. $15 for VHS. Not sure if this the same show.

Another new one just aired here on PBS in Philadelphia this weekend. Again a song and dance special with Carol Channing and Perle Bailey (and I forgot to record it!). It is from 1969. The color is very good and saturated. Not sure what cameras were used. Too good for TK-41's. Possibly TK-42's or a GE. Not the usual bluish cast of a Norelco. I just checked Amazon and it is available there for $23 plus shipping. One hour long. It is called "Carol Channing and Perle Bailey on Broadway".

The rarest would be "An Evening with Fred Astaire" from 1958. Unless the UCLA Film Archives is selling copies of this, what you find would be probably a bootleg and several generations copied. UCLA restored this show several years ago. It is the oldest known color recording to survive. Some copies have the Chrysler commericials in it. So I am told.

You can also buy copies of "The Cisco Kid", a film western from the early 50's. Very good color. Lot's of other color film shows available. "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon" and "Bonanza" come to mind. If you don't mind the new commercials, check TVLand on the cable. "Gunsmoke" is currently on their lineup.

Last edited by Dave A; 03-09-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Dead from the neck up

I tried to watch AMERICAN DREAMS on my Andrea (BW) roundie. It was no better on my Andrea than it was on my 20-some year old RCA colortrak (rescued from the garbage). I do have Archie Bunker on DVD, and since AITF would have been watched on a lot of roundies, I think I'll try it. I know this is the COLOR thread, but my color roundies are three hours away and unrestored. I think I'll try the episode where Archie is interviewed for CBS news. His TV dies minutes before the news, he insults the repairman and had to go to Kelsey's to watch. Then again, Archie would be good on either BW or color roundies.

I have BW soap opera episodes that would be good here too.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Star Trek!

Found this shot from member klatuu pictured on the screen of a roundie....
Old 03-10-2004, 08:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

How about Dark Shadows? Does anyone remember that oldie??
My aunt and uncle watched it on their 1963 Magnavox combo.
When our family were at their house they would turn it on and watch it with my sisters. Must have been around 68 or 69.
By the way, That tv is still in mint condition and is in (murpho) Jim Murphy's collection!
Audiokarma
Old 03-10-2004, 09:39 AM
PUNK ROCK DUDE

NBC peacock animation

Dave brought up something interesting. I have seen that animated peacock thing once or twice on one of those reunion/flashback shows the networks do from time to time. It looks way cool especially with the color intensity turned up. Does anyone out there know if the NBC peacock animation thing is on DVD or VHS somewhere? That would be so cool on an old color set. BTW, that Indian head test pattern would be cool to look at too even if it is only B&W. Anyone seen that on VHS or DVD?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

The peacock animation along with the other network's color presentation logos are located on the following website:
http://www.kingoftheroad.net/KARD_html/kard4.html

I am not sure if they can be downloaded though.

Steve
Old 03-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Oh, Hello-Fuzzie !! Dark Shadows ! Raced home from skule to see that one. 1st or 2nd generation videotape- well, they had to learn SOMEPLACE, I guess. Loved to try to find the flubs in it. Yeah, that would be good on a roundie. Anybody else ever remember seeing a COLOR kinescope of Marlene Dietrich singing "Lili Marlene" in front of an orchestra? Seems like it was from '49 or '50, must have been some experimental thing. Maybe it was that CBS color system.-Sandy G.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:23 AM
heathkit tv

Dang, I too was gonna mention the original Star Truck. But you need a real nice generation copy, not the typical 4232523 generation prints that are so common. Anyone have a copy of the long version of the blooper reel? I saw this at the very first ST convention in NYC back in the early 70's.

Believe it or crap, but as a young un, I modeled with the girl from Dark Shadows!
-ANT
Old 03-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

You need to buy that DVD of Howdy Doody, the one with the last episode. It's in beautiful NBC color, complete with Peacock and commercials, right from the original 2" video. It's awesome..Even has the "slate" at the beginning with some candid studio chatter..
Old 03-10-2004, 03:03 PM
<--1956 300B

My vote is for HR Puff and Stuff! Great colors in all the characters. Witchie Poo looks real stunning! Watched the marathon on Tv land a few weeks ago. Had to turn up the color to make it more interesting.

polaraman
Old 03-10-2004, 05:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Color favorites

One of our local PBS stations was running the Tennessee Ernie Ford show in color. These from '59-'63 or so. I also enjoy VHS copies of The Perry Como Show in color from the late 50's early 60's. Both were NBC shows and used TK-41 cameras. Also I have to agree with Steve Hoffman that the Howdy Doody color dvd is exceptional. My favorite, though, is the Disney VHS "An Adventure in Color." This episode of "The Wonderful World of Disney" was the first color Disney show aired on NBC after the switch from ABC. Great color with Walt and Ludwig Von Drake explaining color and color television. I hope a DVD version becomes available.

Last edited by Steve D.; 03-10-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:35 AM
PUNK ROCK DUDE

Now to find the un-butchered Bugs Bunny, Road runner-Coyote, Flintstones and Woody Woodpecker cartoons! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was cool too but I think that was much later than those other cartoons.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah....an' Foghorn Leghorn ! Remember him taking a board & smackin' the ass of that dog good 'n' hard ?!? Geeez.. Ahh, the Good Ole Days before P.C. !!!-Sandy G.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Do they still air the old cartoons on cable TV (we don't have cable available in my area). I remember that the old WB cartoons were the best, they used to air them on ABC, Saturday mornings. Also remember checking out the 16mm films from the library, they had some of the Bugs Bunny cartoons.
Audiokarma