Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2006, 07:09 PM
OldWolf

Zenith K731, My first post

This is my first post so I look forward to hearing back from you guys.

I am expecting to receive in the mail a Zenith K731 that I won on Ebay. The owner says the AM band works great but the FM band does not work. I am hoping the problem is only one or two tubes need replacing and then radio will then purr like a kitten (figuratively speaking ). We will see.

This is my first “vintage” radio and I look forward to having it. I have 3 decent solid state SW radios that I listen to often, but have long liked “older” things (cars, tools, books, firearms, coins) so I thought “why not radios?”

What do you guys suggest I do as far as maintenance to this radio when it arrives? Of course, I want the FM working so I’ll have to figure out how to test/buy tubes. I read where the first step is just to make sure all the pins on the tubes are clean. And then, if a tube stays cold during operation, obviously it needs replacing. If they are all hot, and still no FM, well, more diagnosing is needed on my part.

I am a Mechanical Engineer by education, so I have no fear of taking mechanisms apart. This has gotten me into trouble once or twice when it was harder to get something back together than I expected. HaHa!

Usually, when I get a new vintage item, I take it apart, clean it, and then reassemble it. Is this the same for radios? Anything that is definitely a “No-No” with radios such as these?

I thought that I would remove the radio chassis (if possible), clean the dust and stuff out of it, try to clean the switches, knobs, finish, etc.

Where do I find a more detailed schematic for this radio, rather than the one on the bottom of the wooden frame? Seems like this would be needed if more than tubes need replacing.

I remember the great old radio my Grandparents used to listen to (I wish I had that one) with fond memories and hope this one, which cost me $32 shipped, gives me a lot of enjoyment too.

Take care and I look forward to hearing from you.

Brad

Last edited by OldWolf; 03-28-2006 at 07:54 AM.