Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Visonette mechanical tv by Yanzer

I have one of Peter's kits I am refurbing this weekend. Mechanical seems to be fine with new O rings to hold the discs in place. It was some water damage to one of the cabinets that is getting fixed. The camera was too damaged to refinish and stain so it got a leather brown paint job. The receiver was just in need of cleaning and refinish the top. Bad stain and varnish years ago. And a lot of glue.

The question is the LED array from years ago. Still working...see photo...but I would like to update the LED's to something newer and brighter. The old LED's are useable but dim in the viewer. They are orange plug-ins of unknown type or model showing 3.5vdc going to them. What can be swapped in? An array of eight.

If I get it looking good it may go to ETF for a side display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led.jpg (46.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Tinker

Hi Dave A,

I built a few LED displays for mechanical TV's back around 2010.
If you try and replace your LED's , avoid the super bright type that use a secondary emission . The secondary emission type tend to be too slow when being switched on and off at mechanical tv scanning speeds. Try to use clear LED's with the emitted color you want your screen to be. An LED in the 610 to 625 nm range should work for orange. You may want to check if Peter wired up the current display in series or parallel. His LED driving circuit may only be able to handle only so much current. That could limit the type of LED's you can use for replacements. In general the wider the emitting angle and highest brightness value,mcd gave me the best backround screen color. Wide angle LED's give better overlap.
Good luck,
Ed