Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
That, and though the subject matter here, and, say, on the Facebook Vintage TV group, is the same......the discussions are totally different. On VK, you can get thoughtful input on diagnostic issues, parts questions, problem solving, etc.
So... what you're saying is, facebook groups are for filthy casuals?

I think you're right.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:53 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post

I think you're right.
I agree. Yes, I did join the Facebook TV group, but I never go on there. Mostly because of my visiolibriphobia, but I really don't like the idea of homogenizing everything into one worldwide forum. I'm much more comfortable posting on VK than FB.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I think you're right.
Somehow I became the admin there too. It was mostly UK/Australia content until us yanks took over the place
Old 03-16-2017, 07:06 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Quote:
It was mostly UK/Australia content until us yanks took over the place
Gotta admit, I find the Aussie sets generally more attractive than the US ones. Too bad we don't have their power setup or I'd be trying to get one.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:24 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubis7 View Post
Gotta admit, I find the Aussie sets generally more attractive than the US ones. Too bad we don't have their power setup or I'd be trying to get one.
IIRC they are 250V 50Hz in the land of Auz...You know basically all homes in the USA are wired for 240V 60Hz, and that transformers run cooler at higher than rated freq, right? The 240V is center tapped and most outlets here in the USA only get one leg plus center...However higher powered devices (Stoves, dryers, AC, electric welders, well pumps, etc.) usually have the full 240V from both legs....Allz you have to do is find such and outlet and tap into it, or run your own off the breaker/fuse panel.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 03-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Allz you have to do is find such and outlet and tap into it, or run your own off the breaker/fuse panel.
Sweet. I'll swap that pesky over-stove microwave with a TV set!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:45 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Dating service? I am not gay, and am not looking for that kind of relationship. I am only trying to find other people who share my interest in electronics, especially antique and vintage radios and televisions. I am trying so hard to find such people here because I live in an apartment building where everyone keeps to themselves, and will not have much to do with me. None of those people know the first thing about radio, television, or electronics. Moreover, I lost my father in 1998. He was an electrical engineer and taught me darned near everything I know about electronics, and I miss him. I was extremely close to him, and when he died it darned nearly tore the heart out of me. Now that he's gone, I have no one else to talk to about my interests, and that bothers me more than I can say here. To make matters even worse, I am something of a loner; have been all my life, and I don't see myself changing at this late point in my life (I am sixty years old). I knew quite a few people in my home town, but that was years and decades ago. Almost every person I ever knew in the Cleveland suburb I grew up in is now either dead or has left town. I toyed for awhile with the idea of moving back to my hometown, but there would be no point in it since I don't know anyone there anymore.
It's even worse where I live now. This is a very small town (population 3097), but as I said, everyone here keeps to themselves, so it is darn near impossible to get to know anyone unless you are extremely outgoing, and I'm not. Most people living here who have lots of friends have been here all their lives, but I have only been here seventeen years. I moved here 18 months after my father died because I always wanted to live in a small town (and because my father's third wife sold the house I grew up in; I couldn't have stayed there if I wanted to--long story), but good grief, I never realized I was going to be so darned isolated. I would gladly move back to my home town if I only knew some folks there, but unfortunately, as I said, almost everyone I used to know is either dead or has left town.
Sounds a lot like where I live. It isn't the middle of nowhere though, it's East Nowhere (a.k.a. the Easternmost part of the Atlantic provinces). I'm still in my "home town" - such as it is - but still I don't really know anyone here anymore. Most of them have moved West, and for good reasons. There's nothing wrong with being a loner; to me that just means you (and I) don't care to waste time on superficial, go-nowhere relationships. Perhaps you ought to start fresh. The last of my reasons to stay where I am have dried up and now I'm actually looking forward to what the future could hold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I'm better versed with tube equipment, but I'm just not crazy about ARF.
Probably, just the way they do things. I go there a few times a week to look around, but this is the place, I go to first, several times a day.
Amen to that. I have no idea how many forums I'm registered on, but this is the only one I visit every day. The other ones, rarely to never.
Quote:

I think you're right.
Haha, you had me going there for a moment! I call it the anti-social network. When I heard RCA2000 had moved on to FB I thought "Oh no, another one lost to the dark side". I've deleted who knows how many accounts; just having one rubs me the wrong way.
Quote:
Hm, I wonder which one would be heavier? I haven't tried to move my old Kenmore since I put it in place about 2 1/2 years ago. It's considerably heavier than any TV of similar size I've ever lifted. I'll never forget the taxi driver's reaction to its weight when he tried to get it out of the trunk: "JC!" lol.

Last edited by Jon A.; 03-17-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
All over the range microwaves in this country are 120 volts, using a separate 20amp circuit.
Good used 240/120 volt transformers are easy to get.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:28 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Getting back to the main topic, Greyhound has three buses a day from Cleveland to Columbus. I'm flying in to Columbus Tue May 2, out Tue May 9, so if you take the bus on Wed May 3 or later and return on Mon May 8, I could pick you up and drop you at Greyhound; and depending on where you stay near ETF, I or someone else should be able to drive you back and forth. (FYI, I'm staying at Best Western Hilliard Inn and Suites, 3831 Park Mill Run Drive, Hilliard; 614-529-8118.)

Will you do it?

I'm not so sure anymore. The bus fare from here to Columbus would probably be so high I couldn't afford it (I live on disability). Taxicabs are out of the question as well, since the fare from here to Columbus would almost certainly be astronomical (as I have been told, Columbus, Ohio is some 500 miles downstate from where I live). Besides, I don't know that I would want to be that far from home for any length of time. I have no idea where Columbus is, anyway, having lived in northern Ohio my whole life. However, if you are talking about Columbus, Georgia, that is definitely out of the question for me, as I don't want to be on a bus for six or seven hours to travel 650-700 miles.

I wish I had learned to drive when most folks do, at 16 years of age, but I had far too much going on in my life at that time (I was in school then, of course, and had mostly bad and downright ridiculous stuff going on outside of school I don't care to go into here). Now I am 60, have been disabled most of my adult life, and am afraid I am stuck here in this small town for whatever is left of my life, my only contact with the world outside my own four walls being the evening news on television and the poor excuse for ham radio I am forced to use here because I cannot put up any kind of decent antenna. That hobby meant a lot to me in my home town, and I hated like anything to give it up when I moved here.

Sheeeesh! Life is so darned unfair it isn't funny.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-17-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I have no idea where Columbus is, anyway, having lived in northern Ohio my whole life. However, if you are talking about Columbus, Georgia, that is definitely out of the question for me, as I don't want to be on a bus for six or seven hours to travel 650-700 miles.
I hope you are kidding... Columbus is the capital of Ohio, and it's dead center of the state. Pretty much every sign on every highway in Ohio has the distance to Columbus on it. It's only 177 miles from you, not 500 (FYI, Ohio is only about 300-350 miles long no matter how you cross it):
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Earl...6!2d41.7500431

Greyhound seems like a great option. I looked at their website, it's a 2.5 hour ride and it's only $20-$30 round trip to go down one day and return the next.

Last edited by CoogarXR; 03-17-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-17-2017, 03:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Greyhound would most likely be your best bet.
However.. you probably qualify for a "short-bus".
Maybe that would be cheaper alternative, or a more comfortable ride?
Old 03-17-2017, 04:13 PM
Resident Lunatic

The only way to ensure a problem never gets solved is to whine about all the potential solutions...
Old 03-17-2017, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm not so sure anymore. The bus fare from here to Columbus would probably be so high I couldn't afford it (I live on disability).
If you're serious about wanting to come, I'll donate $50 towards your trip. Anybody else in? Let's pass the hat

But only if you're serious about going.....
Old 03-17-2017, 05:38 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
If you're serious about wanting to come, I'll donate $50 towards your trip. Anybody else in? Let's pass the hat

But only if you're serious about going.....
I'll match Tim's $50. Anyone else care to step up?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

No. I'm not ignoring this thread.I wish I can go but its a loooong drive from Connecticut.If I live close by .I would have no problem giving rides or pickups as long I get a free lunch or dinner and a Coke for helping out.
Audiokarma
Closed Thread