Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:01 PM
heathkit tv

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic
Yea, I was quite surprised to learn that, too. Yet, the museum has agreed to come with a crew, remove it from the wall and handle all shipping and packing. We will then get a nice non-profit tax benefit where we get to write in our estimated value of the items donated.

It's a win-win situation. AND they are going to take that bar too!

Nic
Am glad this is working out for you and the museum! Word to the wise, I've been in the non profit sector and you need to be aware of a couple things concerning write offs..........you only get a % of the value of the item(s) donated.

In other words, if your tax bracket is 25% and the item was valued at $100 then you can deduct only $25 See what I mean? Check with your tax preparer, don't take just my word for it (everyone's situation is always a little different) but it's a all too common a mistake for people to think that they're going to receive a full price write off.

Another thing, any donations valued at over $5,000 will need a professional appraisal, something that for the most part you want to avoid (unless the item is really worth a lot of dough).

The appraisal will cost something and either you or the charity will need to cover this. More importantly, it raises a potential red flag with our fiends, er, friends at the IRS.

Anthony
Old 01-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Nic

Anthony,

Great advice! Already my accountant gets a headache at the thought of me.

I'll make sure not to write in the value as more than $4,999.99 Heck, just having it out of my home and put to good use makes it worth it. Yet, with my luck 50's decor will be all the rage when I eventually sell my house!

Nic