Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
You might need a time machine.... Once were plentiful and cheap war surplus... But now expensive audiophile tubes... Cheapest i saw one go is $60 for one that looked well used at a hamfest.
The old timers, used to tell me that, those tubes were being sold for like four or five for a buck.
Some guys used them for target practice.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

The place to call is Fair Radio Sales.......Just checked the sold the last 2 GE 211's they had. Audiophiles have latched onto this tube for high end tube audio amps and they are getting at least $800 dollars each for them.

Last edited by transmaster; 11-17-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

211 and 811 are both thransmitting triodes, but thats the end of the similarities. 211 is a lot bigger. Be wary of some of the variants, some brands made them with differnt Mu for other applications. I think the Chinese still make a version of the 211. Ive seen ads for them in late 40s radio magazines for like 69cents each. Sure would be nice to run across a case of them in the estate sale of an old ham radio operator...
Old 11-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

That's one thing I love about my R-390As.. The tubes in 'em, for the MOST part, haven't been "Discovered" by the "Audiophool" brigade.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Except you can't transmit with the R-390A. I just spent $140 on a pair of 801A triodes for a BC-223 transmitter that was given to me without any tubes. Now I need to get a trio of 46s for it. I bought my BC-375 a couple of years ago with the full compliment of tubes. When I got it home I noticed one of the VT-4Cs was gassy (white getter flash). I kept an eye on ebay and eventually someone put up a couple of unboxed VT-4Cs for $100 each with a money back guarantee. I bought them both and they work just fine. When I scrounge up some more cash I would like to buy a pair of those Chinese 211s to try out in the '375. It get expensive to keep these things going.

Regarding the BC-375 being obsolete by the time the war started, I would guess GE was tooled up and could crank them out so quickly that they figured if it met the need why go through the hassle of redesigning to make something else fit.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

What I am going to have to do is salt away a couple of 4D32's they are starting to build high end audio amps using this tube in China. The one in my Viking 1 transmitter is good.....however.