Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:45 AM
A guy with too many tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Some "heretics" on the R-390A board swear by putting assemblies in the dishwasher...but there's a LOT more R-390As out there, & the decks are made of stainless anyhow, so if you do screw something up, it's not that big a deal. But man, oh man, they sure are PURTY when ones been cleaned like that....-Sandy G.
Don't tell my wife, but the dishwasher works GREAT on all kinds of old items.

deHavilland UltraVerve+Aries 845; L. Moore UltraFi Monaco
Tannoy GRF-R, DMT15; '52 Jensen Imperials+JBL LE15B; JBL 2226+2441+Edgar, Yuichi horns
Old 01-21-2005, 10:39 AM

I would start with the brush attachment on the end of my vacuum cleaner hose. Use a 1" round camel brush to augment the vacuum brush. See where this gets you before trying other, more vigorous, methods, like water washing.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha B-2
Now, how do I stick a 'happy banana' into this post?
Well, first you drop trou...
Old 01-21-2005, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Where do I even begin to clean this chassis?

For about a year now, I've been cleaning Predicta chassis's at my local carwash! Yes, CARWASH! Not a problem one. I even leave the tubes in and they get clean. I do remove them afterwards and use WD-40 (which displaces the mositure) generously on the tube sockets and all controls, mechanical assemblies, etc. As stated elsewhere, let it dry a day or so. Try it, you'll see that it works.

Larry
Old 01-21-2005, 03:02 PM
A guy with too many tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Predicta
For about a year now, I've been cleaning Predicta chassis's at my local carwash! Yes, CARWASH!
You wild man! How the heck do you DO it? Toss 'em in the pickup bed and drive through??? This makes my radical bath look tame by comparison -- I love it!

deHavilland UltraVerve+Aries 845; L. Moore UltraFi Monaco
Tannoy GRF-R, DMT15; '52 Jensen Imperials+JBL LE15B; JBL 2226+2441+Edgar, Yuichi horns
Audiokarma
Old 01-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Dead from the neck up

I just remove dust, spider webs and things like that. Rust is treated with a little Naval Jelly and any tube shields are wirebrushed. Other than that, they stay the way they are. I do clean the CRT, safety glass (if equipped) and make the cabinet look as nice as possible (I do need to do some finish repair on one). There is only one set I have that needs total cabinet and chassis restoration (RCA 16" wood). I was considering giving a chassis a bath, but with my luck, I would have fried critical parts. I find a paint brush and shop vac do just fine.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Spray that chassis down with an industrial cleaner-degreaser (take it easy around the transformers)then hose off with warm water. As long as it dries off it will be fine.
The place where I used to work did that with industrial monitors before repairing them, they had to as they would be full of grease and coolant from cnc machines.
Never had any problems and the units looked like new when finished.
In the end it is someones own personal preference as to how they want to do it, personally I have repaired hundreds of monitors and televisions over the years and always preferred the above mentioned way.

Last edited by captainmoody; 01-21-2005 at 08:16 PM.