Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:58 PM
roundie not so n00b

I know this isn't the right place

But the vintage forums seem to have more activity, and I couldn't find a place for new-TV trouble shooting.

My parents have a 50" Toshiba Theatreview model 50A50, and it's starting to act up. Every time there's a mild power surge (when the A/C comes on, etc) it will shut off. It's been connected to a UPS for the past couple of years, but only lately we plugged it back into the wall because the UPS battery died. Yesterday, it turned off and I saw a sawtooth pattern in the upper portion of the screen for about half a second. It also has convergence issues; the + that you use for convergence has rotated somewhat to the left. You can align them as best you can but all around the edges the convergence is going bad. The picture is acceptable but I don't want it to decline into total oblivion. Also, the entire picture seems to have rotated a few degrees to the left.

I guess I have a couple of questions, how do I get into the service menu? I've poked around on google and haven't found any manuals, hints etc.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:13 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Did you try www.Toshiba.com?
Old 12-24-2006, 06:41 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

usually the manufacturer will not post on their website how to get into the service mode. They don't want the customer to do this because they could make things worse, and those who know what they are doing would decrease revenue the service centers would normally get from customers bringing their sets in.

In any case, This sounds like a problem that cannot be remedied by the simple tweaking of an adjustment in the service mode. Poor convergence and random shutdowns that had not occurred before recently indicate failing components and the need for expert troubleshooting.

I quit working with projector sets because they are a PITA, take up too much room, and IMO my effort is NOT worth the picture quality they produce.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

sounds like you need a coulpe of new stk convergence outputs. and probley some soldering in the power and deflection.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaman
sounds like you need a coulpe of new stk convergence outputs. and probley some soldering in the power and deflection.
if that is an older projection there wont be any service menu.
Audiokarma
Old 12-24-2006, 11:48 PM
roundie not so n00b

actually I bought a svc manual from nodevice.com

It shows how to do the convergence adjustments. The TV behaves fine unless the lights flicker (voltage changes). We have bad wiring in our house and I guess it's the auto-protect kicking in. Seeing that sawtooth pattern was kinda scary. Also, the center convergence is very good, it's the crosses in the LH, middle, and general left hand side of the screen that are rotating counterclockwise. the others are twisted a teeeeny bit but not as much as the LH side. The picture is very watchable, my parents dont notice the mis convergence but I do.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:12 AM
roundie not so n00b

and i feel so stupid, the "new TV forum" was right underneath the vintage forums :P you'll have to forgive me, I posted it right after a nap yesterday. anyway, i have the svc manual but it suggests adjusting some focus lens pack and doing height, centering adjustments before convergence... so I think I'll leave it to a tech. It also talks about moving some magnets on the tube (:O) to adjust deflection, moving the yoke, and some other scary-sounding stuff.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 PM
roundie not so n00b

HAHA! forget about paying someone to come out and do it. I reconverged that beast in about 20 minutes, DAMN it had drifted far. it looks like a brand new set!!!

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron