Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Only for the brave. Many a VHS I have rescued by using alcohol on my fingertip and rubbing gently and vertically across the head gap. It may take several tries. Make sure the drum is dry before you spin it up with a tape. This is usually done after the Q-tip attempt.

In my 2" quad days we did the same fingertip trick on the spinning head using liquid Freon out of a gallon container. If it was bad, you would use your fingernail against the spinning heads. Anyone remember this? Al Gore is looking for me.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

We had a pint sized squirt bottle of freon beside the RCA TR-7's at my first job in TV. When a clog occurred, I'd squirt a shot of freon across the spinning heads. I miss those 2 machines. We got a trio of Ampex VR-5000's that gave far-less trouble.

Just before I left TV, I screened all the 2" commercial spots on an older Ampex machine. I also had to work loading a never-satisfied computer in the same room... green screen monitor... I hated it, and left happily. I can still hear the heads screaming in my ears to this day!!