Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

The *OFFICIAL* 2000-present VCR discussion thread...

This is a thread I opened to discuss anything about VCRs made in our present time. What did you like about them, and did you like these plastic-boxes manufactured by Funai. Did you have to replace your VCR every year?

There are more VCRs made in this decade than any other decade in history, since we are adding DVD-VCR and TV combos together. Parts are virtually not available, and you have to throw it out if it breaks. Many technicians hated working on this cheap plastic. This is the era that people like to change electronic items every few years.

Please share your story.

Last edited by waltchan; 12-21-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:52 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Two main differences in post-2000 VCRs that I experienced, though I had relatively little tape experience after the year 2000 because by that time I had switched to computer-based direct HDTV digital channel recording:

1) VCRs had really, really thin metal cases. I mean, so thin of metal that you could dent one by pressing hard with a couple of fingers.

2) VCRs, at least the one I gave my mother for Christmas in 2004, had got really advanced with their setup process. I remember that I connected the VCR and when I powered it up, it figured out by itself that it was using an antenna (as opposed to cable-TV), it scanned and memorized the local channels, and it found the channel(s) with the clock signal and set its own clock, all without my even clicking an "OK" or "proceed" button or message. I was impressed.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-26-2010, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

I stopped working on VCR's around 2000 for the reason mentioned... unavailable parts, other than heads.

I used Asti Magnetics for replacement heads and never had a problem. (No connection with them)
Old 01-18-2011, 11:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Could be Mitsubishi...

I haven't found one that is reliable and durable made in today's era. I am still researching...

The best one so far is the Mitsubishi chassis made between 2001 and 2005, and it can be. Example models are HS-U448, HS-U748, HS-U449, HS-U749, and D-VHS units. It's the only VCR chassis that doesn't feel it has any cheap plastics inside.

No, it is not Panasonic you originally guessed it's the best. In fact, Panasonic is actually one of the worst I've seen. Even Orion/Sansui's chassis is better than Panasonic.

Last edited by waltchan; 01-20-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

In defence of Panasonic, in my opinion they seem to be engineered to last quite well. They work very well for many years then fail pretty much completely. Let me explain, all the bits that tend to fail in a Panasonic seem to fail at the same time. This allows for the full value of all the parts to be realised. That is, when one part fails, say the main clutch, then the tension bands, the belt, the power supply etc will also fail fairly soon afterwards.
On other similar aged units from other manufacturers this is not quite the case. For Sony/Samsung units, a vital little plastic gear will fail (very poor design i think) and this has caused the premature scrapping of many of these units, when the rest of the vcr had plenty of years left in it. (Fortunately this part can be still purchased, as this was a big problem)
Also recent LG/NEC units the heads often fail early, the price of the heads (if available from a local supplier) can far outweigh the price of a new unit. So many of these get scrapped with plenty of other functional bits.
Basically it does mean that a Panasonic of this era is simply not worth repairing, they are a money pit, but if you could get all the parts at a good price they would be worthwhile. The problem is Panasonic parts prices for the more recent machines have been very high for a number of years now, making repair just not worthwhile.
Audiokarma
Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I disagree with Panasonic being crummy. I did warranty service on Magnavox, Philips, Sylvania, and Philco VCR's from 1981-1990. I had little trouble with them, other than the usual failures of belts and clutches, and the occasional idler tire. All of these machine that I serviced were Panasonic built. When Funai raised its ugly head, disguised as Magnavox, I knew the end was near.

I have a supply of NOS parts for these machines. I have lots of customers that know I have these parts. Right now, I have a top-loader Philco that is getting a new old stock capstan motor installed. It's owner has used it since new, and it handles tape like a champ.

My folks have a 1996 Panasonic VCR that has not failed.... yet.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think we are confusing VCR's in general with those made after 2000, which is the topic.

I worked on VCR's from 1990 to about 1999. 80's and 90's Panasonics were the most reliable that I've seen. Power supply diodes and idler rubber seemed to be the only thing that ever failed unless it was hit with a surge. Hitachi's were good too but ate belts and they had 5. Only two seemed to always fail.

After 2000 machines were really pretty crappy and since I was out of the repair business by then, I'm not familiar with them. I still buy them now but when they break, I go to Goodwill, Savers, or a Pawnshop and get another one for usually about $15 or less. I don't usually care what brand is on it. They are all cheaply made. The only thing I'll do to them now is clean the head or mode switch. If it's any more than that, I'm getting another used one. There is still plenty around.

Last edited by ggregg; 01-19-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I disagree with Panasonic being crummy. I did warranty service on Magnavox, Philips, Sylvania, and Philco VCR's from 1981-1990. I had little trouble with them, other than the usual failures of belts and clutches, and the occasional idler tire. All of these machine that I serviced were Panasonic built. When Funai raised its ugly head, disguised as Magnavox, I knew the end was near.

I have a supply of NOS parts for these machines. I have lots of customers that know I have these parts. Right now, I have a top-loader Philco that is getting a new old stock capstan motor installed. It's owner has used it since new, and it handles tape like a champ.

My folks have a 1996 Panasonic VCR that has not failed.... yet.
We are discussing VCRs made after 2000, not 1980s for this thread. Please view the 1975-1990 VCR thread for appropriate discussion. Panasonic was indeed excellent back then, and they liked to last forever. I can't argue with that. In fact, there are more vintage Panasonic-made VCRs still around today than any brands. However their most current one selling in stores right now is very crummy and full of plastics. Buy one now, take it home, open it up, and you see what I mean. So far, I vote 2001-2005 Mitsubishi VCR chassis being much better than 2004-present Panasonic VCR chassis, and little better than 2000-2003 Panasonic VCR chassis.

Last edited by waltchan; 01-20-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry, I wasn't on topic. I cant stand the newest versions of any of the VCR's. The Mitsubishi brand was not too bad, but I only worked on a handful of them.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
I haven't found one that is reliable and durable made in today's era. I am still researching...
No almost everything made now IS GARBAGE compared to in the 80s and earlier

Last edited by Dude111; 01-24-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post

The best one so far is the Mitsubishi chassis made between 2001 and 2005, and it can be. Example models are HS-U448, HS-U748, HS-U449, HS-U749, and D-VHS units. It's the only VCR chassis that doesn't feel it has any cheap plastics inside.

No, it is not Panasonic you originally guessed it's the best. In fact, Panasonic is actually one of the worst I've seen. Even Orion/Sansui's chassis is better than Panasonic.
I have a Mitsubishi VCR that was built in the late 90's. It's in excellent condition but it needs both belts. I'd like to get the original factory issue belt kit. Please respond with a possible source.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I have a Mitsubishi VCR that was built in the late 90's. It's in excellent condition but it needs both belts. I'd like to get the original factory issue belt kit. Please respond with a possible source.
Here you go:

http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/mbk-51.htm
Old 01-21-2011, 05:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Thanks, really appreciate the lead to this source. I've tried MAT and MCM with no sucess.