Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Picked up two interesting VCR's today.

One is a Sanyo Beta top loader from 1984, filthy, powers on but sounds like it's full of gravel when you insert a tape. Doesn't do anything except pull the tape out, then sits there cycling like it wants to play but has a bad belt or something.

Second one is a newer model dual unit JVC S-VHS/MiniDV recorder.
The VHS portion works great on this one, don't have any S-VHS tapes but it makes regular VHS look quite good. (Banding in image is a camera artifact)
I also don't have any MiniDV tapes to try that side, apparently it will dub from one to the other which might be a handy way to copy VHS but i'm guessing it'll refuse to dub Macrovision tapes.
It has all kinds of outputs, Component, Composite, S-Video, and for once it came with the remote and manual, all for only $10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanyo-beta.jpg (21.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg jvcsvhs.jpg (20.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg svhs.jpg (33.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-31-2014, 07:30 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Very nice Erik,im glad to see you Like VHS like me buddy
Old 02-01-2014, 12:29 AM
M is for Memory

I have a working Sears version of that Sanyo...The transport control buttons are different, but they other wise look the same.

That dual deck has S-VHS-ET. The ET part means that it can record in S-VHS quality on regular VHS (ie. not S-VHS) tapes. It is the best of both VHS worlds as you can time shift in S-VHS quality using cheap normal VHS tapes. I used to time shift in S-VHS-ET and it was almost impossible to tell the difference between it and live cable.

Check your local Walgreens or Radio Shack for mini DV tapes. It was a camcorder format and a lot of places supported it long after they stopped making cams that use it....I've never used that format, so I'd be kinda curious how it compares to VHS.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-01-2014, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Well I got the Sanyo to load a tape and run it but while I get perfect sound I get no picture at all, just static on the screen, cleaning the heads made no difference.
It also likes to thrash the tape when it's unloading it, the belts are no doubt dried up.

Unless the lack of video is a real simple thing to fix this will probably hit the recycle bin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg betaimage.jpg (46.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-01-2014, 09:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Very nice Erik,im glad to see you Like VHS like me buddy
I don't know if anyone likes them better than me. Right now, I can't even tell how many I own.
I just can't leave them at the thrifts, especially when they have the original remote control, included. Plus, I get my seniors discount, so they're under $3.00.
The last one I bought is a Sony Hi-Fi Stereo, in excellent condition, with a clean remote control.
Audiokarma
Old 02-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I don't know if anyone likes them better than me. Right now, I can't even tell how many I own.
I just can't leave them at the thrifts, especially when they have the original remote control, included. Plus, I get my seniors discount, so they're under $3.00.
The last one I bought is a Sony Hi-Fi Stereo, in excellent condition, with a clean remote control.
I have three VCRs dating from 1983-86 (the oldest one a top loader) and a full-size RCA VHS camcorder, and I have only been gathering since August. I won't touch the newer plasti-crap units.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Well I got the Sanyo to load a tape and run it but while I get perfect sound I get no picture at all, just static on the screen, cleaning the heads made no difference.
It also likes to thrash the tape when it's unloading it, the belts are no doubt dried up.

Unless the lack of video is a real simple thing to fix this will probably hit the recycle bin.
If the video heads are not destroyed and you can't fix it I'd throw it on ebay with an opening bid of 5$ just to give anybody that might need the parts a chance to get what they need.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

That JVC for $10 is a nice score, even if the MiniDV side is toast (it usually is). Those units have the DigiPure TBC/DNR and put out a nice clean stable picture as a result. You can still buy MiniDV tapes at your local electronics store if you want to try that side of the VCR, just don't be surprised if it gets eaten and makes nasty noises. The valuable part is actually the SVHS side of the deck!

The Sanyo likely needs the usual belts, idler, and maybe a pinch roller. If you haven't done it already, clean the ACE assembly (the head that reads the audio and tape control tracks). If its dirty, you usually won't get any video.