Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok that helped me out , I got the loading belt for the tape transport installed works like a chanp . I did notice that the OEM belt are thicker in size than the replacement ones from studio sound electronics , but they should work out fine . I greased the clutch gear with some grease I have for electronics . Its synthetic grease made for vcr's . Thanks guys if I have any sound and picture problems Ill let you know .I hope she is fine . I haven't played her in over 5 years after attained her from a thrift store down in the suburbs of Chicago .
Old 12-25-2013, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well I got her together and I was able to play the tape , but Im not getting any video out on composite cables for video out to the television .Im getting video and sound under The coax cable , but No video on video out for composite cable I am getting sound out the rca cables , I did notice that the audio is only happening from one channel What would cause this for my vcr to do this . I was reading that this vcr could have a bad capacitors in it also the audio and video may have bad caps . How do I fix it . Help me with this . I come so far with her . The last time I remember her working but don't know that happened . this was about five or seven years ago . I placed her in my closet for future repair . Now I would like to fix her after all That vcr is of great quality for build .

Post to get me started in the right place to start . Where do we go from here .
Old 12-25-2013, 05:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bad video rca cable for some reason . I tried her on a smaller tv and the video signal and sound is working .
Old 12-25-2013, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question on HIFI Tracking and normal tracking on sound audio output . On HIFI I get one channel On normal tracking I get stereo tracking . Its It working right what's the different with them . I want to know if the audio is messed up I had bad RCA cables for the composite out I swapped them out they work good . But is the audio head working right am I tracking the HIFI Head right . I adjusted the manual tracking and the HIFI Light lights up but one of the channels only work when I adjust the tracking and adjust her to good picture I get the audio on the two tracks . Im not tracking the proper HIFI track what's the different .

Help me solve this is the vcr working right will it matter if she tracks on normal and I get stereo sound only . Im wondering because I was thinking if she is not tracking right The Dolby Pro logic decoder wont work right in the receiver to decode the proper sound track for surround sound .It neds that signal to work right . Am I correct or am I wrong .
Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM
M is for Memory

I'm not sure I follow your question but...

If the HiFi audio is only giving you one channel then it is likely an electronic problem. The HiFi audio track is actually a (FM IIRC) modulated high frequency signal that is recorded and played back on the video heads. If you are getting a good picture you should have good HiFi sound on both channels...That is if the tape had both HiFi channels recorded on when it was made. You probably have bad cables, oxidized connectors, or a problem in the decks audio or HiFi demodulator circuits.

I can't tell you where to look in the electronics as I tend to trash VCRs when the electronics go.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 12-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I'm not sure I follow your question but...

If the HiFi audio is only giving you one channel then it is likely an electronic problem. The HiFi audio track is actually a (FM IIRC) modulated high frequency signal that is recorded and played back on the video heads. If you are getting a good picture you should have good HiFi sound on both channels..
You're thinking Beta. Beta could use the video heads to record the FM audio too because of the way NTSC Beta format modulated the video and color carriers leaving enough unused spectrum between luminance and chroma to squeeze in a couple of FM audio carriers. Not so with VHS, which required separate hifi audio heads on the cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckland 23 View Post
Question on HIFI Tracking and normal tracking on sound audio output . On HIFI I get one channel On normal tracking I get stereo tracking . Its It working right what's the different with them ...I adjusted the manual tracking and the HIFI Light lights up but one of the channels only work when I adjust the tracking and adjust her to good picture I get the audio on the two tracks . Im not tracking the proper HIFI track what's the different .
On the tracking indicator, usually when you switch to Hifi tracking one of the level meters will show the hifi RF level off the tape and you adjust tracking for peak.
Does not always correspond to peak video quality though. Sometimes you have to adjust between best video and audio, split the difference, depending on compatibility of recording from another VCR.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 12-26-2013 at 05:11 PM.