Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am going to look for a 21AXP22!

I am about to ride my bike from Boca to Fort Lauderdale to verify that the car radio repair shop still exists. It is the place where, like 3 years ago, the owner told me he had a 21AXP22. I found it on streetview and the building is there but roadwork could indicate it is gone. It is on the corner of Oakland Park Blvd & NE 12th Terrace.
So, if you never hear from me again you know I was shot by some thug as I am entering dangerous areas! Like Los Angeles dangerous! Every now and then I go on long bike rides to "clear my head".
I wish I had a date but I guess I am more like most members here than anybody wants to admit
Old 05-07-2011, 05:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just got back. The place looks to be operating as usual. It is Kennedy Electronics. I would bet he still has it. Good Luck
Old 05-07-2011, 08:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

I looked also

While in the area around Pompano I didn't find it. The place found has always been a car radio repair shop. Very curious. By the way that area is fine crime wise. Ive driven all around the gold coast for 34 years servicing equipment and am familiar with most areas.
I don't need a CRT but like others I thought I could help locate an asset for another VK member whil in the area.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

I grew up down in Ft laud, man that place has changed. Back then the place to avoid was around the thurnderbird drive in off sunrise.

Last edited by DaveWM; 05-07-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was mistaken when I wrote I thought mabe Pompano. It's like northwest Fort Lauderdale area: Kennedy Electronics 1246 East Oakland Park Boulevard, Oakland Park, FL(954) 565-0123 ‎
His building say's: Car Radio Repair on one side but lists TV, VCR, etc. on other side. It is very small building and I bet he rarely does TV. I suspect he justs works there to kill time waitng for a high offer on his land as he likely owns the whole place. Prolly been there since the '60's. That is my guess.
In the interest of keeping his 21AXP from going to waste I warn all here that you should be careful in how you approach him. Use your best "getting along with ornery, old, loner TV men skills" or he may deny having it. I am sure all of you know the type of character I am describing very well. He was a total jerk to me at first but after chit-chat he became quite nice and after telling him about my rebuild of a 21FJP22 he mentioned he had a metal-coned 21" color tube. I keep forgetting if he mentioned it as specifically being a 21AXP22 or not as it was like 3 or 4 years ago and somebody blew a bunch of smoke in my face which had me not 100% of my usuall perceptive self. The overall impression I had was that he had the tube for a long time and it was likely saved for being a good tube/conversation piece. I doubt he mentions it to many people but logically the correct approach will get the facts of what it is and a possible sale.
Good Luck
Audiokarma
Old 05-07-2011, 05:00 PM
TubeType Sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB5pro View Post
I was mistaken when I wrote I thought mabe Pompano. It's like northwest Fort Lauderdale area: Kennedy Electronics 1246 East Oakland Park Boulevard, Oakland Park, FL(954) 565-0123 ‎
His building say's: Car Radio Repair on one side but lists TV, VCR, etc. on other side. It is very small building and I bet he rarely does TV. I suspect he justs works there to kill time waitng for a high offer on his land as he likely owns the whole place. Prolly been there since the '60's. That is my guess.
In the interest of keeping his 21AXP from going to waste I warn all here that you should be careful in how you approach him. Use your best "getting along with ornery, old, loner TV men skills" or he may deny having it. I am sure all of you know the type of character I am describing very well. He was a total jerk to me at first but after chit-chat he became quite nice and after telling him about my rebuild of a 21FJP22 he mentioned he had a metal-coned 21" color tube. I keep forgetting if he mentioned it as specifically being a 21AXP22 or not as it was like 3 or 4 years ago and somebody blew a bunch of smoke in my face which had me not 100% of my usuall perceptive self. The overall impression I had was that he had the tube for a long time and it was likely saved for being a good tube/conversation piece. I doubt he mentions it to many people but logically the correct approach will get the facts of what it is and a possible sale.
Good Luck
Thanks again John.
Here is the shop's contact information.

Kennedy Electronics
1246 East Oakland Park Boulevard
Oakland Park, FL
(954) 565-0123

I gave the shop a call at 5:20 P.M., but it went straight to an answering machine. I left him a pretty generic message that said I was searching for color CRTs from the '50s and '60s. Also, I said I'd give him a call next week, if I did not hear from him before then. I'll let you know what he says, later. I hope he has a warehouse full.

Caretaker: RCA CT-100
Terry's Tube-Type Sets

Last edited by TubeType; 05-07-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-07-2011, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I grew up down in Ft laud, man that place has changed. Back then the place to avoid was around the thurnderbird drive in off sunrise.
I really like most areas of southeast Fla. I made the mistake of going into KFC off sunrise in the bad area and they made me know what they thought of "my kind o'folks" Seemed like payback for what somebody's ancestors did to their ancestors or something like that. The treatment came before I said one word and I had my most humble possible face on. The poorly educated never cease to amaze me

Again, about approaching that man for the CRT: I strongly recommend consulting the big shots here like Steve McVoy or whomever demonstrates proper adult business ways on how to talk to him and what to say or you may likely lose the possiblity. The man can be nice but clearly could be the sort to easily get bothered and let the tube rot until he dies and others will likely throw it in the garbage.

Last edited by JB5pro; 05-07-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 PM
M is for Memory

If they did not cuss you out for from being from the north then they are probably like the mean folks in lakeland who are extremely crabby to all human beings regardless of where they are from. Back when I lived in lakeland I found the best way to deal with folks like those you saw in the KFC was to look either like I possessed the same grudge against the world, or to look irritated to the point where they would be scared to talk to me (as I both looked like and was ready to shout down the first jerk dumb enough to try to get on my nerves).

As for the technician I would try to be polite and try to find a topic of conversation that interests him as most people become more amiable when disgussing things they enjoy.

If he really does have a 21AXP22 that would be a rare find indeed.

Tom C.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I like the idea, that they named the street after the beverage of choice.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

I worked one summer in a TV repair shop back in the early 70's in Davie, well if you call it worked, more like after school day care since I was 14 and did not get paid. I did get to mess around and fix some AA5's, but mostly just got in the way and messed up the inventory. It was a little mom and pop shop, think the wife did the books, the husband and one tech did the work. I went back there a few year back hoping to find some sign of the old shop, but alas it was long gone. You really can't go home again...
Audiokarma
Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I never met an "old TV guy" who I didn't like! Some of them have become good friends of mine. A couple of those guys seem extremely grouchy at first but they warm up pretty quickly. Has nothing to do with TV and nothing to do with age, I don't think, just different personalities. If I lived in the neighborhood I'd stop in for a chat, the gentleman could likely teach someone a lot.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I never met an "old TV guy" who I didn't like! Some of them have become good friends of mine. A couple of those guys seem extremely grouchy at first but they warm up pretty quickly. Has nothing to do with TV and nothing to do with age, I don't think, just different personalities. If I lived in the neighborhood I'd stop in for a chat, the gentleman could likely teach someone a lot.
I tend to agree with that assessment. Let's face it, our hobby is not the most popular one in the world and it takes a certain amount of ability and patience and mostly appreciation to be in this "business".

Would you agree?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, to hang in there and repair things that, logic might tell you, can't be repaired-it does take certain character traits. Those who are still doing it for a living (or trying to) do seem to a have a love for the job.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

I glad I got out of the “business” when I did (1984). The writing was on the wall at that time that TV’s were going to be a disposable product. From time to time people still ask me to ‘look’ at their televisions. More often than not if the set is 10 – 15 years old the parts are not available or it is just not worth repairing. If home entertainment equipment was my only source of income I would be grumpy too. Doogie
Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Yes, to hang in there and repair things that, logic might tell you, can't be repaired-it does take certain character traits. Those who are still doing it for a living (or trying to) do seem to a have a love for the job.
"Trying to" is the phrase of choice.

unfortunately, i was born in 85 with the same love and passion with electronics engineering and repair as the old TV guys. But i didn't finish school until 2006 (regular school, then college).

One problem: the world of repair is just about done and gone before i even got started. So of course im just struggling. Ive been in the repair/tinkerer niche since i was just a wee kid, and for what? waste.

I just wish it would "come back" to an extent. the niche and passion i set my life out for is gone from underneath me, just like a soul being taken away with no reprimands. I am no better than the uneducated street bum down the corner now. (not literally, but you know what i mean).

I remember when my teachers would boast on about finishing your education, or you would be faced with a stereotypical job of "would you like fries with that".... Well, i finished my education, And i cant even get a "would you like fries with that" Where is the logic in this?? I remember when teachers would tell me that the field i am getting into "your going to make a lot of money". Which may be true, but i haven't sought it out yet.. I just may be too fresh/new/young yet to see the opportunities. I must need glasses.

I set my life out for this to be my mainstream work, owning/operating/working in computer and electronics repair industry. But there is one problem, where is the industry? Oh i forgot.... F$#* ME.

Now its just a hobby anymore. That is enough to make a young pup break the boiling point of anger. (i already have anger management issues).

But i guess i just fit in with the rest of the crowd ;-)

Most of my mentors are retired out of the field, long gone, already made their living. Good for them. Wheres mine? oh i forgot. its a hobby now :-)

But enough of my problems, thats all we need, is another "problem" with a never-ending list of them. There has to be more youngsters out there in my same shoes?

Last edited by mbates14; 05-16-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Audiokarma