Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
It was cold in the winter, often I pulled chassis out and slid many a color console set up two flights of carpeted stairs to my room, never breaking a CRT in the process. Its funny how much care can be taken and brute strength you can muster saving old technology.
No kidding. I had to get my Electrohome console out through a sliding door, onto my convertible hand truck without scratching it, then up a rather tricky set of steps that curve around the house (fortunately I had a spotter to give it a boost over each step), then I pushed it 1.24 kilometers (about 3/4 of a mile) home. At least that's the shortest distance I've traveled to bring home a set.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try wrestling a 60 inch rear projection behemoth into your house by yourself. Big, heavy, and unweildy as hell.

The only thing that beats that is a damn Trinitron!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
Try wrestling a 60 inch rear projection behemoth into your house by yourself. Big, heavy, and unweildy as hell.

The only thing that beats that is a damn Trinitron!
No kiddin'. I manhandled a 36" Trinitron all by my lonesome, ONCE. That was QUITE enuff, Thank You Very Much..
Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I once saw two 56" Trinitrons in the Coca-Cola boardroom in Atlanta. They said it took a forklift to bring them into the room. I don't doubt them. They really looked good!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:34 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Kids think anyone over 20 is crazy anyway..... so who cares what they think.....

Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
<-- Me and my "first" TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
...we here have been internet "pioneers".
I am WAY charmed by that thought!
Old 10-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Like I said, growing up in the fifties, things were just starting to blossom, stereo sound, transistor radio and color television. My dad took me to a tv store for something and there among the b & w sets were two color tv's on and I think the show was The price is right.

From that point as a kid you could only wish you had one, and to make it worse when color shows came on the NBC Peacock would come on and taunt you, reminding you that this show was in full color, but not for you. Everytime we would go to Sears or any big department store I would head for the tv Dept to see if any color shows were on.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:54 PM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

I'm not quite half way there yet (just turned 40) and I probably have the biggest collection on vintage TV sets in New Zealand last count around 50 or so but all currently in storage due to some major life changes over the past year.
We need this young blood to carry on the preservation of these old sets and its good to see there are young people getting interested in vintage technology as they will be the ones who will end up being the custodians of it all eventually.

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn
Old 10-28-2015, 08:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just a suggestion about sets in storage.

You need to periodically go in there and wipe down all your sets of mildew. I use a chlorine water mix (made from clorox bleach). That'll be good for about a year.
But I heard there is a product called Clearshell (made by ZEP) which is better!
Old 10-28-2015, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

"What does collecting old tv's mean to young people?"

Well to other young people, I must be a nut. lol I don't know, Never really thought about it. I guess, to me it's just preservation, and actually enjoying them. I don't mind black & white, while most other's my age group(i'm 22), would think your crazy if ya watch something in black and white.
Audiokarma
Old 10-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Born in '96, so I guess I can fairly answer this.

It's hard to say for sure. I have older parents, but they've always been happy to no longer have to deal with tubes. I learned about this stuff from them, and decided to spring on a 1950s radio when I was 15. Then I realized you can actually WORK on these things, instead of throwing them out, so I decided to learn that. I started getting obsessive about getting only mid century appliances, though I can't really justify that beyond "I like them better." So I guess now it's some combination of sustainability, and the fact that I started young and it's just a part of my childhood that I'm very close to.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I remember in the summer of 1969, my Dad took all of us to New York City. What an AMAZING place, especially for a 12 yr old boy from the wilds of Tennessee.. I remember we walked down this one street that had NOTHING but electronics shops on it,& OMG-I had died & gone to Heaven ! There were a BUNCH of those Symphonic "Minni TVs" all playing in one shop's showcase, I THINK they had a similar bunch of Sony 4" & 5" playing. There MAY have been one of the fabled 7" Trinitron-KV-7010Us, too, but I can't say for sure. And then there were the CARS-Like a lot of 12 yr old boys, I had a "Radar" that would go off when an interesting car rode by... I had to IGNORE it, the Caddy limos were almost "Overloading" it. Quite a few Rolls & Mercedes 600s, too. Not too many "Sports Cars", however, Manhattan just wasn't a good place to be tootling along in a Maserati. or Ferrari. I was JUST starting to think that Girls might actually be good for something beyond tossing rocks at, had LOTS to look at in THAT dept, too..
Old 10-29-2015, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I remember in the summer of 1969, my Dad took all of us to New York City. What an AMAZING place, especially for a 12 yr old boy from the wilds of Tennessee.. I remember we walked down this one street that had NOTHING but electronics shops on it,& OMG-I had died & gone to Heaven ! There were a BUNCH of those Symphonic "Minni TVs" all playing in one shop's showcase, I THINK they had a similar bunch of Sony 4" & 5" playing. There MAY have been one of the fabled 7" Trinitron-KV-7010Us, too, but I can't say for sure. And then there were the CARS-Like a lot of 12 yr old boys, I had a "Radar" that would go off when an interesting car rode by... I had to IGNORE it, the Caddy limos were almost "Overloading" it. Quite a few Rolls & Mercedes 600s, too. Not too many "Sports Cars", however, Manhattan just wasn't a good place to be tootling along in a Maserati. or Ferrari. I was JUST starting to think that Girls might actually be good for something beyond tossing rocks at, had LOTS to look at in THAT dept, too..
I might of been standing right there next to you oggaling those tiny TV's on 42nd Street. I was in the Navy at the time. I'd come down on weekend leave and stay Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The Sony KV 7010U was taken off the market in 1968, but the KV 7010UA would have been in those windows.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:05 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I wanted to go to the Empire State Bldg, but Henry, my Dad, said he didn't know how to get there... I THINK both World Trade Centers were "Up There,
by then, pretty sure ONE of 'em was, anyway. ANOTHER street we went down-My Mom had FITS, was the "Diamond Street"= Both sides of the street were crammed full of these TINY shops, populated by these ODD looking guys who wore these "Old Timey" suits, white shirts, NO tie, & these hats that were pitch black, but looked like somethin' outta the 1920s,or Thirties. My Dad said they were Acidic Jews, & I SHOULDN't STARE at 'Em. We SURE didn't have ANYBODY who looked like THAY at home.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:02 PM
Not sure how I got here.

"Acidic Jews" - Ha ! I like that..... The real real good electronics crap was on Canal st.
You ever get a time machine, you remember to set it for Canal St. 1969....