Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:45 PM
M is for Memory

This Video gives a bit of a summary of the last year. It'll be live at noon central.
One thing I didn't mention in the video is I changed the rear window seal and the door weatherstrip.
https://youtu.be/iJvXDYAWd8c

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-30-2021, 03:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those brake switches are made out of absolute crap now from China or Mexico. I had the same problem on my 57 P-350 delivery van.

Middle of the night the pressure would come up and the brake lights would decide come on till it drained the battery. I got tired of pulling the battery terminal off every night and rerouted the brake wiring to the ignition switch so the brakes would only light with the key on.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:29 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube TV View Post
Those brake switches are made out of absolute crap now from China or Mexico. I had the same problem on my 57 P-350 delivery van.

Middle of the night the pressure would come up and the brake lights would decide come on till it drained the battery. I got tired of pulling the battery terminal off every night and rerouted the brake wiring to the ignition switch so the brakes would only light with the key on.
In addition to doing that my switch will chatter on and off with road vibration...I know because I have a relay installed between the switch and the lights and I can hear it chatter when I drive, and I can give the pedal a short hard poke and the chattering will stop.... perhaps I should hit up a junkyard with classics grab a few NOS switches and see if those help.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-31-2021, 01:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I find the old used ones are corroded. I think a bit of brake fluid and some moisture gets up in there over time and it corrodes. I took a few old ones apart hoping to be able to repair one.
They develop a white slimey crust that stopped it from working. Then once they were apart the way they rolled the metal over at the bakelite end makes it pretty much impossible to get them back together. These were all old used ones that were on vehicles that hadn't been on the road since the late 70's to early 1980's so I could rule out Chinese and Mexican inferior parts.

They seem like a crapshoot on how well they work. The one on my 63 Econoline only came on it I was really stepping on the brake. It was a new one in 1998 - 99. It's now dead as well. On the bright side, that one never came on at random.

Here's a NOS one on epay for 15 bucks plus shipping. Might be worth a try.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/263321578012...UAAOSw-olaCmig