Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Nipper Rules

rca victor 1vf-306 reverb

I picked this up a couple of years ago with an interesting back story, I bought it from a cameraman who worked on the HBO series The Sopranos, it was a set piece from the show. When i got it home i found it had provisions for a reverb unit and thought i would never find one, also hearing stories about how they didnt really sound all that great. Well, one surfaced on Ebay and i thought what the hell might be cool. The reverb unit was unbelievably, new in the box ,all parts present, i set it up mounted it in and it was literally a plug and play. Im sure audiophiles would laugh, but i love that sound, its like an old AM radio station i listened to when i was a kid, anyway, here are some pictures. Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3250386.jpg (115.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P3250387.jpg (92.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P3250388.jpg (103.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P3250389.jpg (71.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P3250390.jpg (95.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg P3250391.jpg (49.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-25-2013, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

AM stations and reverb... crikey.
I recorded a voiceover session 25 years ago with an announcer from the local old-school AM radio station. He was the talent, with no real input to the production other than to read the script he was given, in the way the producer told him to. (I believe the technical term was meat puppet. ) Anyway, he went on and on about how the spot should be recorded with reverb, because it 'lends credibility' to the content. As in, make the recording with reverb on the track, and pretty darn loud, so we couldn't take it off or adjust it in the mix. Which is, of course, nuts. The producer and I shared that opinion with him. In that session, we learned other reasons why he didn't get out much, and nobody used him: he couldn't pronounce certain words. The script contained the word 'profitability', which he continually pronounced 'profability'. And he would swear he was saying it correctly. Tape didn't lie, however. Maybe the reverb at the station covered up his poor diction.

Sorry for the wayback machine, there.

It seems like the reverb unit would have a big following in the old-school guitar amp crowd. Is it a spring unit inside?

Chip
Old 03-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Nipper Rules

reverb

Yeah, its an amplifier and spring tank, mounted on the right, and the reverb amp is on the left.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 PM
electronics packrat

I have two consoles with reverb, a Motorola and a Silvertone.