Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cold

What are the ramifications of storing a roundie in 32F temps or below? I can assume this is a bad thing to have to do although I may have no other choices.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalamazoo-DJ View Post
What are the ramifications of storing a roundie in 32F temps or below? I can assume this is a bad thing to have to do ...
The electrolytics may get unhappy, but the goop may act like antifreeze to keep the water from freezing.

Don't forget that TVs likely sat in cold warehouses, freight trains in winter near Frostbite Falls MN, and in trucks there too. So sets had to be designed to take it. Not necessarily powered up and take it, but just take it while off.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Don't think it will hurt them. When brought in from the cold, they must be allowed to warm to room temperature before turning on so that the condensation that forms when they first come in can dry up.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I haven't heard of problems with cold storage (but I agree on letting it come to room temperature for a day to dryout any condensation). Some early sets with solid-state horizontal outputs had problems if stored in very humid places (like a warehouse in New Orleans) for a long time, because the flybacks would heat up rapidly when turned on and boil the absorbed moisture, exploding the donut. Better flyback design solved this. Tube sets would limit the current more and just not perform correctly until the moisture was eliminated.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Agreed, long term moisture is an enemy but cold won't kill a roundie. The 21FJP22 in my CTC-15 spent 10 winters (at least) face down in the woods. Aside from losing the aquadag, it's fine.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Dean you can store it at my house, I'll keep it warm watching it.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:11 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

My original CT-100, B8000173, was in cold storage from 1985 to 1999 in New Jersey. There seemed to be no specific electrical deterioration (although the vertical convergence transformer failed soon after it was returned to service), but the cabinet definitely took a hit.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:21 PM
sampson159

we had a set on the back porch for awhile back in the 80s.we brought it in on the coldest day in columbus history:-18 degrees with winds blowing at 20-25 mph.for some reason,i decided to turn it on.ice on the crt face.it came on and played all day!i was lucky and never tried such a stunt again.cold is fine,just let them warm up before you operate.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvman View Post
Dean you can store it at my house, I'll keep it warm watching it.
Larry you might want to head up this way I can give you the knobs I owe you and you can possibly take a few other things home. I will store what I can it sounds like I can hold on to a few in the cold I would say the vote is unanimous that they can survive it.I am moving to another location with much less storage available so some have to go somewhere at some point.

Last edited by Kalamazoo-DJ; 11-10-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-11-2010, 01:54 PM
<-- Me and my "first" TV

It cracked me up to see a rebuilder here in New Jersey (now long gone) who used to store his excess "inventory" of dud color and black-and-white CRTs out ON THE LAWN! Face down on a piece of cardboard or some right on the lawn. Summer and winter. Apparently they were none the worse for wear for it as he would bring 'em in, clean 'em up and rebuild 'em as needed. It was a bit surreal; I wish I'd have thougth to take some pictures.

Not to imply that this was "best practices," of course. The whole shop was very dirty and disorganized. I wasn't surprised he went out of business a lot sooner than some other places.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Is this a good idea??

My ctc-5D set is in my garage at the house, unheated but pretty well insulated and dry. I tested the tube on my CR-70 last feb aNd it tests LIKE NEW!! I want to keep it like that, and so, since it is bitter cold now--I am kind of "warming" the CRT--and chassis.

This is done by running the set with the B+ disconnected(by removing the 5U4 tubes) and running the filaments on the other tubes--including the CRT--at a slightly-- reduced input on a variac--maybe 100 volts or a bit less. This draws a bit under 3/4 amps from the line or so, and the CRT filament and the heat from thew other tubes on the chassis--SHOULD hopefully keep the CRT warm enough, and keep the vacuum in it. After all--it would NOT have tested good--if it was leaking, right??

Or--is this a BAD idea--and should I just "let it be" without any warming?? would that be better for the tube--I can NOT see how it could be.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Administrator

If your 5 still has the metal cone 21AXP in it I'd be very concerned about any extreme temperatures, hot or cold.

I would think expansion and contraction would be bad for that tube.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yah, and I'd be especially concerned about sudden temperature changes. Metal and glass expand & shrink at different rates, so extremes of heating or cooling might encourage a glass-metal CRT bond to break loose.

Extreme example: Imagine that every day I bring my roundie indoors to play for several hours, and every night I wheel it outdoors to my front porch.

Not ideal because:

1. Big temperature change.
2. Changes are sudden.
3. Hot-cold cycle is repeated often.

For long-term storage, I'd try to keep things as constant as practical, avoiding abrupt changes. Within reason, it's not like your CRT "wants" to be at a particular temperature. It's more like that scene from Wayne's World:

"We fear change!"

Phil Nelson
Old 12-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

I think the whole cold thing is over-blown. The main concern is the moisture, but once you bring in a unit from the cold always let it warm to room temperature before power up.