Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nos 19ap4

This is a afternoon shot with a Nikon DSLR this time
This is a NOS 19AP4, guess I should have left the sort of weak one in.

Last edited by wiseguy; 07-19-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Administrator

When was that NOS 19AP4 made?

I know there are differences between tubes made in the 40's-50's, the phosphor is a uniform color, B&W tubes from the 60's-70's seem to have a different formula, if you look at them up close while on you can see yellow and bluish colors in the mix. I would assume it was done to make the image look brighter, like adding Bluing to wash makes it look whiter.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramden66 View Post
here are some pics of the sister to your Dumont , the ra-109
Wow! That's a rock-solid, dead on, straight and uniform picture!

I still have a couple issues with the adjustment on mine..sometimes people's foreheads and hairdos seem to get a bit bigger towards the top of the screen.

I tried my test pattern disk in a newer DVD player and it worked. It won't play in the older dvd player I have hooked up to the DuMont. Now I have to decide if I want to go through the hassle of unhooking the newer DVD..it's pretty tough to get to the wires, and there's a 30 gallon aquarium on one end of the hutch it is in..so easily moving the furniture to get to the wires in not an option. I might have to commandeer my son's Xbox 360 temporarily to use as a DVD player...if IT will play the disk.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
This is a afternoon shot with a Nikon DSLR this time
This is a NOS 19AP4, guess I should have left the sort of weak one in.
I don't have much to add having little experience with various CRT's. It does look kind of bluish in the photo, but it is a good clear picture. I wonder if you would notice the tint if you didn't have anything to compare to?

Do CRT's have a "break in period" when they are new? Might it settle down a bit with use?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm still curious to see what it looks like in total darkness. Hold the camera right in front of the screen and photograph nothing but the image on the CRT (not even the green tuning eye).

Phil Nelson
Audiokarma
Old 02-22-2014, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

White P-4 phosphor on early CRTs is actually a mixture of two different phosphors. One component is yellow and the other is blue. Combined in the correct ratio the mix produces a decent, fairly uniform white.
Sometimes I have observed, when re-installing a round P-4 CRT after work on the chassis, that orientation of the CRT is critical otherwise "blueish" areas of the CRT are illuminated. I suspect that the blue component of the P-4 phosphor ages more rapidly, and over time the used areas of the tube become "warmer" or more yellow. Likewise, I would postulate that a new P-4 CRT would very likely be bluer than a well used one.
jr
Old 02-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Workin' Late Again

I think Phil is correct that it has to do with light balance in the room. Here's a couple shots(bad focus) of the 19AP4 in my Sentinel. Notice how when more of the back lite room is showing that the picture takes on the blueish tint. Somehow I always end up with a reflection of my GE clock on the screen.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Sometimes I have observed, when re-installing a round P-4 CRT after work on the chassis, that orientation of the CRT is critical otherwise "blueish" areas of the CRT are illuminated.
That reminds me, I saw that effect when I reinstalled a CRT in my RCA T-100. What's causing those faint blue areas on opposite corners, I wondered? Then I realized that if I rotated the tube and reduced the height to normal, they would exactly match the areas never scanned by the electron beam. The center portion that had been scanned was warmer in color.

The color difference was subtle. It didn't really register in a photo unless I cranked up the contrast & brightness beyond normal levels, high enough to make retrace lines.

Phil Nelson

Old 02-24-2014, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

bluish 19AP$

sorry been busy, but No it's blue with my eye as compared to the old one, I know white balance all too well as I worked on in Broadcast Video Service and Working for the Packers in Replay.
I noticed this right away after I was just bored and replaced my old Slow warming 19ap4, I only did this because I had 2 N.O.S Tubes from the same person, not Rebuilt but NEW from Dumont but like 3 years newer or so..its a pain to replace, and you get used to it but I noticed the Blue right away.
here is a pic from the same set before and using the Exact DSLR Camera with the old original CRT .
I'll just have to get used to it, maybe for kicks I can push a RCA 630TS next to it and Take a few more pictures and compare.
but it seems that I remember someone Noting the same thing many years ago on this site, like 12 yrs ago or so. but my eye notices in person that its blueish for sure
Also maybe it does have to be Aged in like others have Said, I'll run it for hours and see. and I have found out that you can't blast away the Contrast or Brightness or you will get Retrace. I had pulled the whole chassis and checked it out, these Tubes for sure are not super Bright, it would be nice to find an Aluminized one, but those must be rare, I know they were made that way, I think Tung Sol shows it listed

Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember seeing B/W sets in the showrooms of department stores back in the day, and noticing the differences in the shading (color) of the CRT's on them.

We had a GE 19" set from around 1963 that was literally blue-white looking.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:05 PM
RCA 741PCS

Maybe you have a 19AP4A or 19AP4B which have grey tinted/frosted faces ?
Old 02-24-2014, 04:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
sorry been busy, but No it's blue with my eye as compared to the old one, I know white balance all too well as I worked on in Broadcast Video Service and Working for the Packers in Replay.
I noticed this right away after I was just bored and replaced my old Slow warming 19ap4, I only did this because I had 2 N.O.S Tubes from the same person, not Rebuilt but NEW from Dumont but like 3 years newer or so..its a pain to replace, and you get used to it but I noticed the Blue right away.
here is a pic from the same set before and using the Exact DSLR Camera with the old original CRT .
I'll just have to get used to it, maybe for kicks I can push a RCA 630TS next to it and Take a few more pictures and compare.
but it seems that I remember someone Noting the same thing many years ago on this site, like 12 yrs ago or so. but my eye notices in person that its blueish for sure
Also maybe it does have to be Aged in like others have Said, I'll run it for hours and see. and I have found out that you can't blast away the Contrast or Brightness or you will get Retrace. I had pulled the whole chassis and checked it out, these Tubes for sure are not super Bright, it would be nice to find an Aluminized one, but those must be rare, I know they were made that way, I think Tung Sol shows it listed

Wow. That is a georgeous TV.

Carl
Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK here We go, 3 Pictures to amuse you
a 630ts to the left and the last picture notice the White cat.
sort of a pain to push and move all this.
I never looked to see if it had a Tinted face..I think they are a A version
one of these tubes was mounted in another set, but was not used so I am confused about the tint.
it's Noticeable in my eyes.
but Really a grey tinted face would Give a Blueish tint?
I should have posted a new thread about this instead of posting in Gary's thread, but didn't know it would go this far

Old 02-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
Wow. That is a georgeous TV.

Carl
What he said !
Old 02-24-2014, 06:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

One good way to judge color is to stand back from the set in a dark room and see what the CRT is doing to illuminate the room. Is it bluish or greyish? The poor cameras are working overtime in a dark room trying to make something white...walls, lamps or the white Persian cat can all throw it off. Try taking a photo in a manual white balance set for cloudy...a higher kelvin temp closer to a CRT. This will fix the camera on a specific kelvin temp setting and you can then see what your CRT is doing in that neighborhood. It will also throw the surroundings very red as it tamps down the blue.

And on the sound IF tweek. Which is the best direction to adjust by ear? From the split to the end amp or backwards from the amp? And upper or lower adjustments first if the can has both? I did this with a Pilot TV-37 set to a good pix and had good luck going from the beginning to the amp.

Last edited by Dave A; 02-24-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: typo
Audiokarma