Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I had looked at the various articles and youtube postings on Restuffing of the Caps.. But, my problem was and is, that with my Bad eyesight, I couldn't always tell exactly what was being done.. So, when I first tried it, I was doing it wrong, but my roomate looked at the videos and the pictures and He immediately knew what I was doing wrong.. I just couldn't tell from the pictures.. So He will take them apart for me, and since I can't always tell with enough detail what I am doing and what I need to do.. But, we have this worked out He does the dis-assembly and assembly, I do the electrical or electronic part..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 02-01-2013, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I have all six of the Electrolytics stuffed and all but one re-folded so it all stays together.. My roomate when He comes back will take care of this last one.. I next will be starting to wire them all in.. I in a sense can't wait till everything is wired in and I can make an attempt to bring the set up for the first time, via a Variac.. But, still being weak and having the chills, I will be taking my time on the wiring.. Don't want to make any wiring mistakes, either from being in too much of a hurry or not watching what I an doing and looking at both on the schematics and on the set itself.. Ohm and yellow highlight, recheck and ohm again.. And if need be check pictures..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've not been anywheres this neat when I've restuffed cans. Or more precisely I've just hacksawed off the can just above the rubber insulator, while it's still on the chassis. And put one of the bigger replacements above chassis, and smaller ones tied to the terminals below chassis. That way, I don't have to unsolder the wiring under the chassis. Looks fairly ugly, though... I just think of the old cap's terminals as a terminal strip now.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I have all six all crimpted and ready to re-mount in the chassis.. If, possible we'll see after I remount them.. But, to me It just isn't right to cut them off from the outside.. But, I may find out that I have no other choice.. If, the remount doesn't work.. Now to start the wiring..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I would like to "remove and uncrimp" all of my bad electrolytic capacitors, but I had poor luck trying to unsolder the twisted tabs that were attached to the chassis on my 8TS30, even with a 140-watt soldering gun. I ended up using the "saw off and epoxy the cover on later" method mostly. The re-crimped capacitors definitely look the best, but there is also the tradeoff of removing their wiring and reinstalling it later, with the risks of breaking something.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 02-01-2013, 06:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Yea, Chris, That has and is a concern of mine.. I guess I was happy that I was able to unsolder everything and have only one broken tab.. And my other concern is that either I might not get it wired correctly or loose a wire or two.. I guess that is part of the trade off, You cut them off on the top and leave the wiring or take them out and hope that the re-wiring is OK..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Earlier today, I finished wiring ALL the Electrolytic caps up, (the last 6 wires), I have been doing them a little at a time, and as I have had the time and the energy, since being sick and just finished checking the Electrolytics with an ohm meter for correct connections, not for value..
I have two resistors to put in (R186A, 93 ohms and R240, 12 ohms), before I can hook it up to the lightbulb and Variac, and see what the voltages look like.. I am trying to be extra cautious with both the bulb and the variac..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-04-2013, 12:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I have put in the two Resistors, And with both a Bulb and Variac, I have tried the unit.. The Output from the Transformer is fine, but I get really Low voltage, DC out.. From the Resistor Divider, So, I have Checked the voltage on the Rectifier tubes, still low.. Filaments show 3.4 Volts, after taking the Bulb out it was up to 4.7 volts.. So, next, I will Dis-connect the wire from pin 8 and see what the Rectifiers put out by themselves, If it is still Low, then I know it is my Tubes.. And not Bad load, somewhere else.. But, If it is Higher, then, something in the Cap or Load or the diviver section then something is most likely wired wrong..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited by Geist; 03-04-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
At 60 volts input and with the Bulb in place, I get 160 volts Dc Output on pin 8 of the Rectifier.. I have only one Rectifier tube in Place.. I will test each Rectifier individually.. This Proves that something is Bad, Somewhere down the line, from the Rectifier..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-04-2013, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Hi All;
I have put in the two Resistors, And with both a Bulb and Variac, I have tried the unit.. The Output from the Transformer is fine, but I get really Low voltage, DC out.. From the Resistor Divider, So, I have Checked the voltage on the Rectifier tubes, still low.. Filaments show 3.4 Volts, after taking the Bulb out it was up to 4.7 volts..
With the Bulb out and full line voltage on the primary, what voltage are you seeing on the 6.3V heater supply? Is it signifigantly plus or minus a nominal 6.3 VAC?
Quote:
...So, next, I will Dis-connect the wire from pin 8 and see what the Rectifiers put out by themselves,
Leave the first filter cap in-circuit so your meter will see pure DC. Or else it will read the averaged-out value of the supply (ie., it will read low). This is assuming you're using an analog meter. A digital meter will go nuts on unfiltered ripple voltage.
Quote:
If it is still Low, then I know it is my Tubes.. And not Bad load, somewhere else.. But, If it is Higher, then, something in the Cap or Load or the diviver section then something is most likely wired wrong..
THANK YOU Marty
With no load, it will probably read signifigantly higher than nominal. But be sure the first filter cap is rated for the higher voltage.
As an alternative to leaving the first filter cap in-circuit, you could jumper in a cap temporarily. Anywhere upward 10 mf or so would be plenty (with adequate voltage rating).

Last edited by old_coot88; 03-04-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Old Coot, Thanks for the input.. I have tried all three rectifier tubes by themselves.. At 60 volts plus Bulb input to the transformer, I get about 160 volts from the Rectifier tubes, each checked by itself.. This is with a DMM and no Cap.. There are no other tubes in the Set.. Don't want to create other unwanted problems.. So, next, I will do as you have suggested, Tieing on one cap and so forth at a time, until I find what is pulling things low.. But, this way, at least I know that it is not the Rectifier tube that was causing the problem.. Thanks for your help and suggestions.. More updates, as I work my way thru things.. In answer to your Heater voltage The 5U4 is a 5 Volt tube, and so my readings of 3.4 volts and 4.7 volts were for the Rectifier Tubes, not for the other Heaters, ever though I had in the past check the other Heater voltages before I plugged in the Rectifiers, and they were OK..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited by Geist; 03-04-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Just a note, I am sure Glad that I used BOTH the Bulb and the Variac for my initial power up, I think it might have saved my Transformers butt as well as mine.. Since the Bulb was glowing brightly, yet not in later tests with just the Rectifier.. Which also shows it had too much load or short..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Hi All;
Just a note, I am sure Glad that I used BOTH the Bulb and the Variac for my initial power up, I think it might have saved my Transformers butt as well as mine.. Since the Bulb was glowing brightly, yet not in later tests with just the Rectifier.. Which also shows it had too much load or short..
THANK YOU Marty
What wattage was the Bulb you were using? If it was low wattage (25 or 40 watt) it probably lit fairly bright from the heater load of all the tubes.
Typically, a 'dim bulb' setup will use bulbs of different wattages (something like 25, 40, 75, 100 and maybe 150). A high wattage bulb will barely glow (if at all) at normal current draw whereas lower wattage bulbs will glow brighter at normal draw.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Old Coot, I have been using a 40 Watt Bulb, But remember I stated I had only two tubes Plugged in Both 5U4's, and at present only One 5U4 is plugged in, I am working my way down the Cap and Choke coil and Cap line.. I am waitng for my Iron to warm up to take out another wire, so I only have Cap Choke and Cap hooked in..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is there any chance one of the replacement electrolytics could've got installed backwards?
I been looking at the schematic posted by Vts1134 in another thread in another forum. Is this the same schematic you're using? If so, it incorrectly shows C220C with its negative side to ground and its positive side to the negative 100V supply rail. I.e., it's shown backward.
If connected as shown in the schematic, it would definitely be a problem.
Audiokarma