Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:16 PM
AK Member

Westinghouse TV Fixed!

I was driving around with my girlfriend when I spotted a 19 inch (i'd say) westinghouse B&W tube tv. With my favorite word on it "Free".
So I took it in a heartbeat and took it home. Upon inspection everything seemed Ok (nothing was leaking blown up or covered in strange resin). Today I tested all the tubes except the half wave rectifier tube. They were all in the green except 2. One sorta jumped around the other was just a little weak(These were small tubes) I also didnt check the two tunning tubes as they were in the back and I was unsure of when it was last plugged in. (The tv has a total of 20 tubes including the picture tube.)

After this I had to at least try it out

I decided to plug it in. And i'm pretty sure all the tubes were glowing including the projection tube(Scary damn thing xxxradiationxxx) But after about 20 seconds nothing. No sound, no picture I flipped through the channels and nothing. I was dissapointed, but I knew it wouldn't work when I found it.

So any one have any suggestions for me. Little things to check. In an attempt to track down the problem. I don't wanna spend any money on this tv. Its big sorta ugly and a B&W radiation machine. But if i could see it turn on once that would be cool.

Or should I just screw it, and rip it all apart take all the chokes and audio transformers. And anything else you think would be useful?

It has a 21alp4a Picture tube. If that helps anyone on getting an idea of the size and type of tv. It also has 13 channels if that helps put a date on it.

Thanx. and if anyone wants to see a picture just ask I'll do it No worries. Ask any questions you want.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:20 PM
AK Member

Oh and I own a didgital voltmeter handles 1000volts and doesnt measure capacitances.
So thats my other testing supplies other than my tube tester. Which is a Dyna jet model 606 Any1 know if its any good? I also got it free
Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
slave to 3 equines

you will have to replace the wax capacitors and then check for open/drifted resistors before all

If you dismantle the set, i'd also keep the tubes and the speaker

Anyway, a B&W TV emits little if any harmful radiation.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:14 PM
AK Member

You think maybe if I hit it a couple times....haha its a long shot but i did notice solder balls and bits inside the frame . Ha I just can't bring myself to strip it just yet
Old 09-08-2008, 06:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Don't do it!
Audiokarma
Old 09-08-2008, 10:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like the B+ isn't running. Check for a fuse or circuit breaker. I'm gonna guess it's a series-string set. (would use odd number tubes, starting with numbers like 7, 8, 11, 13, not all 6's and 12's)
Old 09-09-2008, 12:41 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Don't strip it!!

It minimum it will need new capacitors to function properly. THe westinghouse sets usually had a large sand-type dropping resistor in the B+ supply that would go up in value or open, preventing operation of the set other than the tubes lighting.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

You will want to replace the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, as well as all paper capacitors. See http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm for basic advice on that.

If you can find a label anywhere with the model number (http://antiqueradio.org/identify.htm), perhaps someone can send you a scan of the schematic for this set. I wouldn't try to restore any old tube TV without a schematic, since it involves replacing dozens of components, with many opportunities for making wiring mistakes.

There is no danger from radiation. But be careful not to stick your fingers into the chassis if you have it powered up on the workbench (which might kill you or kick your butt across the workshop).

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 09-09-2008, 03:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Don't strip it !
Rather than strip it , give it to someone who would enjoy doing a restoration .
If you want to get it going , expect to do a recap as everyone else has also said .
Most likely the it would operate with the original electrolytics cans , however the wax/paper caps will all have leakage .
And also I have found that the early plastic covered caps , like "SANGAMO" brand are also leaking .
The parts most likely wouldn't cost you more than $30.00 .
I would keep it , and do a recap on it.
As for radiation , the amount produced by a B&W television is very low .
I have had my head stuck in TV's off and on for the last 20 years , and Im still here .
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 AM
AK Member

how dead could the picture tube possibly be though. If this is dead I may have no hope of fixing it. Or would it still work and have a weak picture?
I think it might be dead because all the tubes are in good condition except two, which I think would still at least get it to show picture.

I have no money right now to replace the capacitors but it does sound like a fun job. I guess I will try and check the B + supply tomorrow and its resistor for starters. Would taking the chassis out help me, I don't really wanna do to much unnecessary stuff. That might break it :S

Oh...and if I touched what I thought was the positive side of a large diode (Its blue with heat vents I know its a diode)with my voltmeter and the other end to the chassis should it of given me a large DC voltage? Possibly for the Picture tube or other tubes B+ supply?

Or would this B+ voltage more likely be rectified in an actual tube, Half wave or Other?

And am I looking for the B+ to the picture tube or all the other tubes. I don't know much about tv's but have sorta made some tube amps. And learning is fun.
Audiokarma
Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 AM
a- v- karma member

With the symptoms you are describing, this TV most likely had a power supply
failure a long time ago and was set aside. Ther is no reason to conclude without
some testing that the picture tube is dead.

The thing you are describing as a large blue diode with vents is most likely a selenium
rectifier for the power supply. Do a little research and you will find out that those
are prone to failure and are usually replaced by more modern silicon units.

Be very careful, but working on this TV should be a rewarding experience.

As someone else suggested, if you could post some extra info, it would help us
to help you. Things such as model number, list of tubes, etc.

The 21ALP4 picture tube type indicates that this is nominally a 21-inch TV.

Good luck, please do keep us posted.

Last edited by electroking; 09-09-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 09-09-2008, 03:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does the cabinet look like this one?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:45 PM
AK Member

Alright i'll have a picture of this tv Both outside and inside in half an hour along with a list of tubes and there purpose in this Tv

THe cabinet you showed me is pretty close but it doesn't have that nice colour. Theres a lot more brown detail. But yes the cloth on the bottom and controls at the top.

Pictures soon!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:41 PM
a- v- karma member

Just can't wait!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM
AK Member

K for some reason it doesn't wanna let me upload my pictures so I guess I'll just type what I got. The model Number is either 5-3533 or it's 65j 941-1.

4bq7a Rf amplifier
5at8 Mixer
3cb6 1st pix I.F. and another for 2nd pix I.F.
5am8 3rd pix I.F. + 2 DET
12by7a video amplifier
21alp4a pix tube
3au6 sound I.F.
3al5 FM detector
3av6 Audio detector
12c5 audio output
3au6 keyed AGC
7au7 sync amp/noise killer
5u8 sync.sep/vert discharge
12b4a Vertical output
3al5 horizantal phase detector
7au7 horiz oscillator
12bq6gtb horiz ouput
1x2b h.V. rectifier
12ax4gta damper

and i'll try to get those pictures posted as soon as it starts working.
Audiokarma