Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:40 AM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

B/W Tvs from New Zealand

HI Guys,

Just been looking through the postings/pictures etc in the Vintage TV section of AK and I realise I am not alone in this weird madness of collecting old black and white TVS!
The ones I have got are mainly Philips-based on a Dutch design but built here in NZ in the early 1960's as we did not get TV untill the 60's snd colour arrived in 1973 for us.

The three Philips sets in the pics all have the same chassis-called the S8B, series filament wired and live chassis no isolated transformer, just big huge dropping resistors across the top of the chassis which swings out an on a huge frame. They use P-Series valves eg PCL85,PCL84,PL504,PY88,PCF201 etc.. they have a high imedance audio output stage which Philips called HI-Z-meaning no output transformer, just a dual cone 8" inch 800 ohm speaker connected the output valve with coupling caps in circuit- and the sound quality that comes out is very impressive. They have two pcbs inside with the lineoutput stage in the middle. These models were prone to Lopt failure and leaky caps etc.. the usual things that happen to old b/w valve Tvs as you guys will already know..
All the sets still go and still produce a good picture for thier age. The console one is the best of the lot, with twin speakers at the bottom of the cabinet, the sound is awesome with amazing bass response.

Just thought you guys might be interested to see some foreign old tvs on here

Cheers
Glen
Old 04-06-2004, 12:43 AM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

Heres the second Philips... Note the Philips set to the left was the first colour set that we got in New Zealand, once again based on a dutch design and built here. Fully solid state with IC's, delta gun , the model was called the Philips K9- They were and still are one of the best sets ever made for NZ, 30 years on and mine are still going strong

Last edited by Glenz75; 04-06-2004 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:44 AM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

And the third Philips-same as the second but with the original stand they came with.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:27 AM
heathkit tv

Thanks for the pix Glen, it's always interesting to see any old sets, but especially ones from another country. Did/do you use the PAL standard there?

Anthony
Old 04-06-2004, 06:57 AM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

Hi Anthony,

Yes we do run the PAL system over here and have done so since TV started here back in the 1960's. There are not many old vintage TVs left here as alot have gone to the dump years ago. Its vitrually a 'throw away society' here now. I think I'd be the only person in NZ who is collecting old Tv's as I haven't come across anyone else who shares the madness...kinda feel a bit on my own really.... Nice to know there are others out there, even though they are miles away
Cheers
Glen

PS I will get around to taking pics of the insides of the those Philips sets and some other b/w's I have and I'll post them on here to for ya's all to see
Audiokarma
Old 04-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Sweet ! Nice sets !! Good job !! Look at it like this-TV guys aren't "weird", it's just the rest of the world is "Un-enlightened". <Grin>-Sandy G.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice pics Glen!
I will be interested to see the insides of those sets especially the color one.
Looks like the console you have has a bonded lens on the crt?
Is that the bonding material giving way at the top? Looks like the same problem we have here with our late sixties sets.
I have a Saba tv combo unit from Germany coming this week and am going to post pics of it also.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi

Here is a picture of my Graetz Kornett TV, a German TV from 1957.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi

Here is a picture of my Graetz Kornett TV, a German TV from 1957.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is another one from my collection, a Blaupunkt Sevilla from 1958.
Audiokarma
Old 04-06-2004, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen plenty of German radios-odd to see how similiar the styling is on the tv sets.

All these sets are great-thanks for sharing!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:33 AM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

Hi all,

I like those pics of the german sets, they look stunning! Thanks Fredrik Have you restored those sets at all?

Captain Moody - Yes you're right about the bonded tube, the protective lens is coming away, but its not noticeable when the theres a picture on the tube though. Its actually getting worse I noticed when I took the photo of it, I haven't had the sets going for ages, maybe this will prompt me into firing the ol' girls up and watching something on them! hehe

Sandy - Yeah I know what you mean, there should be more people who appreciate vintage stuff.... think of what they're missing out on! hehe ......

Glen
Old 04-07-2004, 12:41 AM
heathkit tv

Gotta love the styling of those German sets, really reminds me of postwar BMWs/Benzes, and VWs. When it's restrained it looks great, but when allowed to go to excess it can be hideous!

Anthony
Old 04-07-2004, 07:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

All of my old TV’s have been restored. The old paper capacitors are replaced so now they all work great.

Another TV from my collection, DUX Artist from 1960.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

All of my old TV’s have been restored. The old paper capacitors are replaced so now they all work great.

Another TV from my collection, DUX Artist from 1960.
Audiokarma