Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 PM
The Resident Brony

Different corner. But the chair, carpet, lamp, and drapes are the same, probably rearranged the furniture.

I still just don't see it in the first picture. The set would have to be going through the wall. Weird corner.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll take a stab at a sponsors gift that was just dropped off. They can drop one here too.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Workin' Late Again

The more I look at that first picture, the more I don't see a corner there at all. Judging from the shadows being cast, I believe a very strong light source is coming from the far right side of the picture. So it's possible the shading we're seeing behind the combo unit is actually the drape edge casting a long shadow on a straight wall. Also the lamp shade casting light on the wall does not appear to be bent by the apparent corner, it looks nearly symmetrical on both the right and left sides.

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 12-06-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:29 PM
The Resident Brony

You might be right. Considering the way the lamp is casting light on the wall... the wall must be flat behind it...

Ah, I figured it out. Immediately right of the door frame, I was thinking the door casing had a very wide prominent molding around it. But going by the second picture, the molding should actually be a very skinny fluted molding, which you can just barely make out if you look at the very top of the picture. But the shades and shadows were making the door frame molding and the door frame's wall look like one piece and not seeing any indication of a corner in the room until we move far enough right to get to that vertical shadow cast by the drapes.

So the space between the door frame and the corner of the room looks to be about only 8 inches, which explains why the lamp shade could cast a shadow over the inside of the door frame, and why the combo unit would be placed so far forward to intrude into the door's walking area.

Told you it was a weird picture.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:31 PM
Workin' Late Again

Anybody got a way to rotate the picture so that the drapes and walls are at a square 90 to the edge of the picture? It's a very weird illusion how the walls are tilted so far and yet Betty and her mom appear to be perfectly vertical. There's something fishy about that whole photo arrangement.
Audiokarma
Old 12-06-2017, 11:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rw.jpg (93.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:43 PM
Workin' Late Again

Jim that's much better, now tilt it back a bit at the top. You need to remember the picture was shot from a quite hi angle, probably in an attempt to show the fan mail in the basket on the floor. I believe it's the high angle of that's throwing the walls and drapes out of alignment. "it's all smoke and mirrors"

edit Sorry, the fan mail is in a box not a basket. That picture is driving me crazy.

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 12-06-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:42 AM
console lover

Maybe the only "wrong" thing is assumption that the corner is a 90 degree angle. My grandparents' house sat at a corner intersection at more or less a 45 degree angle and several interior walls came to together at a wide angle because the garage directly faced one of the roads at the corner. Betty's house could have been similarly designed.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:06 AM
The Resident Brony

Here's a crude approximation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bettys weird wall.jpg (126.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Jim that's much better, now tilt it back a bit at the top.
Kevin, I have no tilt feature in my program.

Audiokarma
Old 12-07-2017, 06:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Yes, that shows exactly what I believe we have here, a very short wall that supports the door frame (the upper hinge is visible).

We know this to be true because we can tell the radio unit sticks out from the back wall much farther than the short wall itself. This can be told by the shadow of the lampshade behind Betty's mom's head, and the shadow of the radio itself behind her upper arm produced from the same lighting that is casting the drapery shadows.

If the drapery shadow line disappeared, there would be no distinction on the wall just to the right of the lamp shade which is what is making the image confusing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bettys weird wall.jpg (82.0 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by WISCOJIM; 12-07-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added the image
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
I'm 99 percent confident that's it.