Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Movies during the holidays

One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving, is how right after the Christmas movies start airing. Does anyone else like this? Usually they seem to start in the days right before, but I think they really get going on Friday evening. Anyway, to me it wouldn't be Thanksgiving and Christmas without the movies.

Another thing is I used to like watching the Macy's parade before we went to Thanksgiving dinner, but I've lost interest the last few years. I turned it on briefly yesterday but was bored with it fairly quickly.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:04 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I tend to play a few favorite Christmas movies on DVD or Blu-Ray.

Regarding the Macy's parade, I think the coverage stinks, spending too much time on Broadway cast performances in front of the store and shots featuring the hosts close-up while the balloons and floats get short shrift. I wish HGTV was doing the Macy's parade in addition to the Rose Parade.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:36 PM

Maybe veering a little off, maybe not:

When I was a kid, the radio had a series of children's programs called "The Cinnamon Bear", which ran one 15 minute segment nightly between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
The series was preserved (live fluffs and all) by the Smithsonian and was distributed originally on cassette and eventually on CD or digitally. Anyway, it is a great example of an imaginative program with original music and live production. I listen to it in the car every year. Each episode actually runs 12 minutes, just right for listening while running to the supermarket or whatever. If you think you might not be interested as an adult, I would still recommend it as a gift for young children or grandchildren.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
I tend to play a few favorite Christmas movies on DVD or Blu-Ray.

Regarding the Macy's parade, I think the coverage stinks, spending too much time on Broadway cast performances in front of the store and shots featuring the hosts close-up while the balloons and floats get short shrift. I wish HGTV was doing the Macy's parade in addition to the Rose Parade.
It could be their last one.They got to get rid of the network morning show hosts or hosts from the network shows.They are so annoying.Also all the network plugs.Also add all the rubbish music acts.Just let the marching bands play for 3 hours.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Loads of Christmas movies online I can watch.
Audiokarma
Old 11-24-2017, 11:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't know, it just always felt like the beginning of Christmas to me, get home from Thanksgiving dinner, watch movies and start decorating. A little idealistic I guess.

And I agree the Macy's coverage is bad. The only channels that do it are ABC and CBS I think. The hosts are annoying, very little about the parade, just shots here and there, the rest is cooking or music. I've just gotten bored with it.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:43 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I don't think Thanksgiving Day is considered that big of a deal up here, and besides, ours was last month. It's when our Remembrance Day has passed that things start ramping up for Christmas.

Let's see, I have Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas ever, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and The Ultimate Yule Log, mom has Home Alone. To me they're modern-day holiday classics. Unfortunately I don't yet have KISS Saves Santa on DVD; that does NOT ROCK!!! I'll watch those movies any time of the year and my main TV is permanently festooned with Christmas lights which are ran year around. Usually I'll follow up said movies with Corner Gas season 3 episode 13 Merry Gasmas.

Better to be idealistic than turn into a bitter old pill. I sort of aged in reverse in that regard, there are far better things to spend my energy on that have the added benefit of not draining it as quickly.

Attached Images
File Type: gif 1986-06-13.gif (122.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Jon A.; 12-02-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think Thanksgiving is still big here in the States, but had gotten skipped over between Halloween and Christmas, and I think the main reason is Black Friday, when the stores started opening earlier and earlier, and especially when they started opening late Thursday afternoon and having the sales start then. So people started focusing on shopping rather than Thanksgiving.

Although, I think people got tired of the commercialization, and especially the ridiculousness of it all, with people getting trampled, etc that now the stores are spreading out the sales longer instead of all at once. This year, the sales even started the week leading up to Thanksgiving.

I'm not really sure when the whole thing started, but I want to say it must have been between 2005 and 2007. I'm sure there were sales before then, but that's when they really started pushing the early openings and sales, and then the violence started.

Anyway, back on topic. The Home Alone movies are some of my favorites, as well as the Christmas Specials. There has to be others I'm forgetting. Last year I found some Yule Logs on cable, and would have played one while we opened gifts but my parents would probably not have liked it. lol

Last edited by crt89; 11-25-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Turner Classic Movies is having Christmas-themed movies on starting Friday evening, December 1 and every Friday evening up until Christmas, with Christmas movies all day on the 24th and 25th.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.ht...ate=2017-12-01

GetTV is having several Christmas movies and specials on every night at 8pm from now until Christmas. Stuff like Perry Como, Johnny Cash and Bing Crosby specials and some movies you may recall. Here is the link to a pdf of their entire Christmas schedule...

https://www.get.tv/sites/us.get/file...istmas2017.pdf

MeTV is having Christmas-themed old TV show episodes on Sunday afternoons at 2pm Eastern and they're showing one movie too. Here is their schedule...

https://www.metv.com/stories/a-very-...ng-november-12

So if you can get those channels, there's bound to be something nostalgic that will ring your chimes.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

I stopped watching the thanksgiving parade back in the days they stopped going to the kitchen with cooking tips from William Conrad
Audiokarma
Old 11-28-2017, 05:24 PM

After seeing all the examples here of sets showing "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," I finally broke down and ordered a DVD to play on the CTC-5. Should be here next week.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I plan on listening to the Christmas radio wartime classics on KMOX, CFZM and WGN AM radio. The holidays weren't "commercialized" as they are now. No "miracles" or "Santafication." None of this "BLANK that saved Christmas." I miss the holidays that once were. What happened to neighborhood caroling and get-togethers?
Old 11-29-2017, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramden66 View Post
I stopped watching the thanksgiving parade back in the days they stopped going to the kitchen with cooking tips from William Conrad
Today's Thanksgiving parade coverage is a joke.Get rid of the annoying network hosts that chat too much and get rid of the music artists and let the marching bands play only. Get rid of the continuous network show plugs.Get rid of avert break every 6 minutes.

Last edited by centralradio; 11-29-2017 at 12:36 PM.