Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:43 PM
Florence

Full-size VHS camcorders with LP/EP recording speed?

To date I have never seen a full-size VHS camcorder that could record in LP and/or EP speeds. All the ones I've ever seen are SP-only. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen one that can do one or both of the slower modes? Plenty of VHS-C camcorders have it, so I know it's not some sort of technical limitation barring full-size camcorders from having it.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:27 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Speculating here, that VHS was already 2 hours at SP, longer than a battery would last, and best possible picture quality with full width heads optimized for SP.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:05 AM
M is for Memory

If I was forced to use one for home movies nowadays I'd not want LP or worse still EP especially if I was using full sized tapes (they made some full sized tapes that ran over 3 hours in SP).....Hell, if I was making NTSC home movies I'd want digital8 or Hi8mm over VHS or even S-VHS.

Another thought is that perhaps by the time LP and EP were becoming established they were close to releasing VHS-C and did not want to bother ginning up full sized camcorder lines that were about to become obsolete/unmarketable overnight...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-15-2017, 10:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was never was a fan of the VHSC camcorders even I have a few here.20 minutes recording time limit was a joke. At that time I had the Panasonic PV9600 with camera and get 2 hours of recording time. After then I went directly went to 8MM for something smaller then a full size camcorder .For home movies I used SP.On the home decks I used EP for timeshifting SP for the important recordings.I probably only use LP 3 times in the 30 plus years having VCRs .