Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:38 PM
M is for Memory

Go to just radios, Mouser, Allied, Digikey, Capacitor World, etc and look at the electrolytic caps available.

They do not make caps in that exact form factor anymore (and NOS ones are crap) so you will have to use smaller modern caps to replace that can. Read the value(s) on the original can.

Odds are the can contains more than one cap. The values should be something like ##uF (or ##MFD if older notation) ###V along with a symbol (D,[],V,'-' or blank) indicating which of the inner terminals the positive lead connects to. The positive terminal will have the same symbol as the corresponding value on the label does. The negative terminals are all connected to the outer metal can (there are exceptions but those are rare).

When ordering replacements you will want to order one for each section of the original can. You will want to order the same voltage value or higher (NEVER go lower voltage), and you will want the same or close capacitance within 20-50% tolerance.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-05-2017, 06:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you Tom and Electronic M.

I shall see what I can do. You say surely true because I see no other capacitor that would be bulging. Of course, in a closed can, you can not see anything. Indeed, I know that the new capacitors have a mark to define the polarity ... As I do not often work televisions, it will be for me a difficult thing.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

So, what happened? Is it working? Inquiring minds need to know.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTim View Post
So, what happened? Is it working? Inquiring minds need to know.

Hi TVTim .....

Yes curious minds need to know. But for now I have gleaned information here and there on the forum and because my wife is often sick, I have not yet had time to buy the necessary parts. On the other hand, I did some cleaning of both tuners because I had too much "snow" on the screen. It's already much better but I also have to check what a member told me about the wave at the top of the screen. Because it makes a head stretched to the right ... The money I had was used to go to the hospital for his spinal care. But when I have changed the capes inside the can, I will mention it in the publication. For now TV has only worked twice since I made this publication.

Changing capes, it does not cause me any worries but I do not know how to disassemble this kind of can. If any of you can tell me how to do it would be a plus. thank you in advance
Old 02-23-2017, 07:10 PM
M is for Memory

Are you using a VCR as your signal source?...VCRs can cause the top of the image to be pulled to one side.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Are you using a VCR as your signal source?...VCRs can cause the top of the image to be pulled to one side.
Yes i use a VCR and it's a Sony HI-FI stereo 4 heads... and sometimes( when i want to view a B&W movie on DVD ) , i use a Panasonic and i have the same wave at the top ..
Old 03-18-2017, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.j.fla View Post
A pix of the screen would be nice. What you or talking about sounds like poor filtering in the low voltage supply. Now its not 60 cycle hum but 15750 cycle hum from a scan derived supply. Main filter C101 a 4 section can and scan filters C903 1000 mfd 35v and C905 330mfd at 35v are the power filters. All the best, Tom.J

Sorry about the delay ... Where are these capacitors Tom ?

Edit : The image at the top of my screen, makes a few bars (lines ) but replaces and gives way to a distorted picture to the right( sometimes not all the times )

Last edited by Marco-nix; 03-18-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Marco-nix
I would NOT change any caps in this set. It sounds like the VCR
is the problem. You need either a DVD with an RF output or
with an RF modulator to be sure. An old game console would also
work.
ALMOST ANY set made through the mid 1970's will bend at the
top with a VCR. B&W sets were the last to be improved !
For now best to put the $$ towards a cheap camera to post
screen shots. Many here can point you toward the right one

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Marco-nix
I would NOT change any caps in this set. It sounds like the VCR
is the problem. You need either a DVD with an RF output or
with an RF modulator to be sure. An old game console would also
work.
ALMOST ANY set made through the mid 1970's will bend at the
top with a VCR. B&W sets were the last to be improved !
For now best to put the $$ towards a cheap camera to post
screen shots. Many here can point you toward the right one
Thanks Zeno ... As for the waves, I've changed VCR and everything is ok for this point. Now, as I can not afford to buy a camera, I do with what I have. I can do nothing . However, here is a picture of the corner at the top of my screen, where there are lines. That's the only problem I see right now. Forget the image on the screen because the image is beautiful . It's just my cam that is beurk !

Old 03-19-2017, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is a really cool TV. I wanted one when I was a kid, but never had money to get one. RCA has been a favorite of mine back as far as the 70s, if not 60s. Are you in Pennsylvania? If you were nearby, I'd love to as least take a look at it.
Audiokarma
Old 03-19-2017, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you TVTim for your message. Unfortunately I do not live in the USA. But in Canada. In the province of Quebec .. Otherwise, it would have been a great pleasure to show it to you .. Let's say it is my first 19 inches black and white RCA. It does not have any major problems except that it makes lines at the top of the screen (Photo to support in a post above) .. the rest works very well and I think I'll keep it for good years. I was lucky for this TV. It did not cost me anything. A friend of an organization that often receives old televisions, throws them in the trash. DOnc, I arrived at the right moment and I asked him if it was to throw, his answer was a categorical YES .. so I Brought it home and since then I've been watching all my black and white movies on this TV
Old 03-20-2017, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco-nix View Post
Thank you TVTim for your message. Unfortunately I do not live in the USA. But in Canada. In the province of Quebec .. Otherwise, it would have been a great pleasure to show it to you .. Let's say it is my first 19 inches black and white RCA. It does not have any major problems except that it makes lines at the top of the screen (Photo to support in a post above) .. the rest works very well and I think I'll keep it for good years. I was lucky for this TV. It did not cost me anything. A friend of an organization that often receives old televisions, throws them in the trash. DOnc, I arrived at the right moment and I asked him if it was to throw, his answer was a categorical YES .. so I Brought it home and since then I've been watching all my black and white movies on this TV
Most of my teens and early 20s involved a 19 inch BW set. This brings back lots of good memories.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTim View Post
Most of my teens and early 20s involved a 19 inch BW set. This brings back lots of good memories.
To me too ... I have other black and white RCA from 5 to 12 inches approximately .. They are put in boxes to the shelter of the light Parmit them, there in one with vacuum tubes. This one needs to be redone with regard to the capacitors and perhaps to change the tube screen as it is too dark and has been used a lot, the case is cracked but I keep it. Good night TVTim .. Ah, thank you for your message.But I wonder what is wrong so there are lines in the top of the screen
Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am far from an expert on lines on the screen. Sure wish I could help you out with that. We have many members who are way better at this stuff than I am. I'm just here for memories and to share a hobby.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like Macrovision copy protection is your problem. It can cause lines in the picture. Do you have, or know someone with a video stabilizer? This will remove macrovision. Macrovision type protection is also on many DVDs. I have to use one on my Zenith color roundie or it goes nuts.
Your VCR is a major source of crooked top of the picture. Newer sets had a lot faster horiz sync that eliminated the problem. Panasonic had a high dollar VCR with a time base corrector but they were troublesome. It used a form of the "G" chassis with many plastic gears. Do you have a OTA box to try?
Audiokarma