Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA 630TS alignment setup question

I'm ready to do an alignment on the 630TS (the sound is rather weak). Since I need to tip the chassis on its side for this, and I have neither a small test CRT or any means of supporting the 10BP4, I will have to do the procedures without the picture tube in place. The procedure described in SAMS has you remove V22 (the horizontal oscillator tube) from its socket to disable the high voltage supply. However, I've been taught that the quickest way to destroy the horizontal output tube is to run the set without the horizontal oscillator running! Am I wrong? Would securing the unattached anode button in a glass jar be a safer way run the set without the picture tube? Or would it be better to run the set without the horizontal output tube (V23) in place to disable the high voltage during alignment?

Last edited by dcl0; 03-05-2023 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:45 AM
M is for Memory

I'd pull the output or damper. It's possible that the negative supply in the 630 biases the output such that it won't red-plate when the osc fails, but even if that's the case I wouldn't want to count on it.
The 630 and CTC2 were the 2 cases where RCA let their engineers build a perfect set without much cost cutting to speak of so they seem over engineered compared to later sets.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4