Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
Yes, age of the collector certianly is the main factor as to what is considered "vintage". I was born in '83. Its hard to say, I somewhat "grew up" with the types of sets I collect, although both neighbors had working space command 400 b/w sets in their basements that I remember very well. Grandfather had a 4 tube hybrid in the back room in his old home in chicago also had a portacolor in his RV. My Uncle Rick had the exact same 4 tube hybrid in his apartment. These sets were still used from time to time and this was back in the early 90's. So when I saw those, it was something new for me and I appriciated them as they were never seen anywhere else (like at home or friends etc). Late 60's-70's sets were always at the resale shop though at this time. So in a way, I did kind of "grow up" with them but in a totally different way than someone say 20-30 years older than I am. They were what was "left over" and not in daily common use. That being said, those sets that I liked as a kid fascinated me and Ive been interested in collecting and repair them ever since. Thus, a TV 15 years older than me from 1968, while not really "early color TV" is something of special value as they were from I time I wasnt part of and have appriciation for them. This needs to be considered before someone decides to insult someone as to what they like to collect as Ive had insulting comments as to the type of sets I collect thrown at me in the past from fellow "collectors".

Today we laugh at the "black plastic box" CRT sets. im sure there are kids out there right now an in 20 years when they are my age, they will be collecting these same sets as they think they are cool as its something new for them. And here I am, I was part of the "black plastic box" TV generation. Ive been there and done that and its nothing new, so I dont care to collect them. Same goes for the 55-60 year old guy today who was 20 years old in 1968 who could care less about the new sets of those days. You were there and you were part of it, so its nothing new for you. Thats just the way I see though. One persons opinion though.........
I couldn't have summed it up better myself... When I became interested in TVs (noticing them and being fascintated), most people of middle income still had a roundie in the livingroom, and maybe, just maybe, the old B&W set in the bedroom. As I started fooling around with them, I mostly was able to get hold of 50s B&W consoles and then later, a roundie color set (A Packard-Bell console; got it in 1978.)

As far as what makes a color set vintage or collectible: Simple. If a collector wants it, it's collectible. Doesn't have to be old, or weird. Just of interest for any reason. What's popularly considered a collectible color set? I'd say any color TV pre-1960 is a true collectible. Roundies from the 60s are a good point of entry for newer collectors, and I am now interested in them! I guess that this may be out of guilt, having thrown hundreds of them out in years past

Charles
Old 06-04-2008, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Hi,

Early Color Television! Anything from early 1950's color prototypes to 1965 vintage or any roundie screen set. Tubes or Hybrids of tubes and transistors. Middle period color TV! Anything from 1965 rectangular tube sets to 1980's vintage. Tubes, Hybrids, or Transistors
Old 06-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Early color television

I think the reason early color holds so much interest was some of the early designs by various companies IE: Philco apple tube, Motorola 19" crt, CBS colombia and so-on. By the time color reached the 60's for the most part color sets were getting better and better and although there were still roundies, the exploritory era was over. Crt's were becoming brighter and brighter and then the romance started to fade and color became commonplace just like any other technology.