Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking for vhs vcr with manual tracking best match old HS-400UR

I should never have let it go, but it wasn't in good shape at the time anyways. I have numerous video tapes I recorded on the HS-400UR and also on an old GE video camera and some other random vcrs I can't recall the make of (one was my sisters and the other my moms).

I don't own any of these anymore and now I want to go through my video tapes and at the very least, view them once more, and/or rip some of the video camera tapes to digital. Right now I have a JVC HR-S7800U SVHS vcr (with a dead from day one tuner) and it's useless because it doesn't allow fine tuning of the tracking via a manual control.

What would be the best vcr to use that I can find in order to best play back older vhs vcr tapes. Ideally I need something with manual tracking and I don't want to spend a fortune.

What about something like a Mitsubishi HS-U70?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by morkys; 01-19-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

According to the user's guide, found here:

http://www.retrevo.com/s/JVC-HR-S780...19ag217/t/1-2/

manual tracking is available:

Manual tracking adjustment
If automatic tracking cannot eliminate noises well during
playback, use the manual tracking following the
procedures below.
c You can also use the manual tracking during slow
motion playback (Z pg. 29).
1 Activate manual tracking
Press channel up and channel down on the front panel at the same
time during playback.
2 Eliminate the noises on the TV screen.
Press channel up or channel down (or CH + or CH – on the Remote).
Press it briefly for a fine adjustment, or press and
hold for coarse adjustment. Watch the screen and
continue adjustment until optimum picture and
sound quality are achieved.
3 Reactivate automatic tracking
Press channel up and channel down on the front panel at the same
time. The automatic tracking becomes active again.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

I thought there may be a way to control tracking manually, but I have the owners manual packed away somewhere. Thanks. I just tried it and it does work to some degree. I will try it on some tapes, but I think it would be useful to find some other vcr's and try my luck with them too.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Goodwill and other Thrifts are overflowing with VCR's these days, usually cheap too.
Most of them will be newer models but I wouldn't count them out, in theory any of them should be able to play your tape, unless the tape is damaged in some way.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Is it mostly the tapes recorded on the HS-400UR you are having trouble tracking? Those Mitsubishis were always a problem keeping the tape path in alignment because of the design.

I have a HS-430UR that was one of those problematic VCRs too. Also with any SP recordings made on that 400, that model only had two video heads not the wide heads for SP like the 430. So those tapes would play a little weak maybe more grainy or snowy with a VCR playing back with the wide SP heads. If you had one of the "Dynamic Drum" JVCs I think one of those would adjust itself to track moderately out of alignment tapes.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 01-20-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you are playing back EP tapes, the Digipure JVCs do a crap job at tracking them. My HR-S7800U doesn't track any EP tapes correctly, while the HR-S7500U (with Dynamic Drum) seems to do a better job. If the problem is with SP tapes, it may be that the recording VCR was out of alignment when the tape was originally recorded.

If you are willing to screw up the factory alignment on the JVC, you can "break" the VCR to track your tapes properly by manually adjusting the two main tape guides (the ones that pull the tape around the drum). Otherwise its best to do this with a thrift store VCR. You won't get the benefits of the JVC's TBC/DNR, but at least the tape will play properly.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Here ya go.. looking for a HS-400UR, this Harman/Kardon VCD1000 is the same thing mechanically, has a different HK hi-fi audio board in it as I recall. All you gotta do is fix it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321058006252...84.m1438.l2649
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hk-vcr-sm.jpg (79.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Here ya go.. looking for a HS-400UR, this Harman/Kardon VCD1000 is the same thing mechanically, has a different HK hi-fi audio board in it as I recall. All you gotta do is fix it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321058006252...84.m1438.l2649
I'll keep my eyes open for something like this. Admittedly the video performance was lackluster as it was before multiple heads and "HQ" circuitry, but the Hi Fi part sure worked.