Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

They record color under.

A unique feature of Cartrivision is that it uses 1-of-3 skip-field recording to save tape, that is, it records only one out of every three video fields for a total of 20 fields per second. This is acceptable when home recording live video, but when home recording broadcasts of 24 frame per second film (which was also much of prime-time programming) it results in jerky motion due to completely losing a film frame 4 times a second. Cartrivision had a method (for pre-recorded movies only) of blending two film frames together 4 times per second. This meant that the motion blurred instead of jumping. This technique required use of a video frame store at the recording site, which was inconceivable to include in a home device at that time.

Another thing that Cartrivision worked on was high-speed duplication of pre-recorded tapes by means of magnetic contact printing.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

You'll likely need to use a solvent like varsol to wash the old grease from the mechanism, or at least soften it up enough to be able to free the mechanism, enough to even temporarily allow the machine to play.

You could also have the seized grease in bearings which would cause the mechanism not to run smoothly, or throwing the alignment off.

Last edited by colorfixer; 03-15-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 PM
AK Member

Abc

Last edited by cartravision; 10-15-2020 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Abc
Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was thinking last night...I wonder if Sams ever did a Photofact on these? Nothing in the index under Avco or Cartrivision, but maybe the Sears model number would trace back to something? Certainly there had to be service lit through Sears which someone out there has. (I have some stuff, but I am 99.99% sure I don't have this)
Old 03-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I haven't had a chance to get on AK for a while, and I am fascinated by the recent information.

Since you have tried several tapes, and several machines, and not had a lot of success (at least with the video part), it might be best to kind of start over with a methodical process, with the playing and transferring of your family tape(s) as the last step.

-Read plenty about the restoring of old electronics, and VCRs specifically if you can find details, here on AK or elsewhere as well.
-All of this equipment is 35 years old, and unused or not, many of the electrolytic capacitors ("caps") have probably gone bad. (The TV picture has bad vertical linearity, for example, and that is probably just one or two bad caps.) Buy or build an ESR meter; they are pretty simple, and they are exactly what you need to (relatively) quickly test every electrolytic cap.
-Pick one machine, and try everything on it (cap checking, lubrication, audio/video in and out connections, etc.), and make notes of everything you do.
-Besides the A/V outputs, connect audio and video inputs on a machine and try recording: Pick one blank tape if you have one (NOT one of your family tapes, and not one of the tapes with prerecorded shows), and do all of your testing with that one tape. Connect the outputs of another A/V device (a regular VCR tuned to a TV station will work until June, or use one of the cheap new digital TV converter boxes). Set the Cartrivision unit into Record mode for about ten minutes, then rewind the tape and play it and see what you get. Most video recorders play their own recordings better than tapes from any other machine; once the machine can record and play its own video, then move on to playing existing tapes. (The reason for this issue is tape drive/head alignment, tape tension, etc. If you have ever had a floppy disk drive that would not read other disks but would write and read its own disks fine, it is the same concept.) If you get anything at all on this tape that you record (sound, video, color, or all), keep using it for more tests (and more recordings) as you go along. Later, move on to possible alignment of the machine to get other tapes playing better. Recorded tapes themselves that have sat for 30+ years can and will deteriorate, stretch, or whatever, so you may never get nearly the quality out of any of the old material compared to that of new recordings, but working this way will eliminate recorded-tape quality issues from problems with the machine itself.
-If you don't already have one, get an oscilloscope. It will make looking at/for the audio and video signals much easier as you work on the equipment.
-Someone somewhere has to have service information on these units still. Besides a plain Google search, try the "groups" search option in Google with the word Cartrivision (and misspelled variants as well). Send messages to any e-mail addresses you find, and to all the owners of the Web sites you find about Cartrivision equipment.

Your existing skills should make all of this easier than for many collectors. Keep us posted on further progress.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 03-22-2009, 08:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Varsol is a cleaning solvent used in the printing industry to dissolve printing inks used in offset lithography (printing). It works very well to dissolve hardened petroleum and organic greases. I used to use it to dissolve the hardened grease that Apple used in their sony oem'ed disc drive mechanisms.

It works almost a well as CFC based cleaners. It is a cleaner/solvent made from a kerosene derivitive and some other unknown materials that presumably fell to earth .

What is nice is that it will dissolve old grease with no effort, and dry to leave no residue, without giving the user a buzz.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 PM
AK Member

Abc

Last edited by cartravision; 10-15-2020 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Abc
Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like you found a very helpful and knowledgeable person. I second the "don't use Q-tips or cotton." It took me forever to remove the cotton that caught on the heads in my VCR.

John
Old 03-31-2009, 01:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

If the possibility of bad heads arises, you luckily have a few spare sets lying around! Can the heads just be changed out? I wonder as I had a very old Quasar video tape player (it took some oddball coaxial cartridge, so this is very pre-VHS) and all you had to do was lift the top, twist off a knurled hold down, and the video head drum was free!

Hey! Just thought I'd check before I posted and Labguy has one of these! He's excited about the ez-clean heads too!

http://www.labguysworld.com/Quasar_VR-1000.htm

Another memory of this thing just strikes me-it had a dehumidifier built into it! I guess if you thought your tapes were a bit damp (?) you hit this switch on the front and a very LOUD fan would kick on.