Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

Found a Zenith. Works with Retrace lines

Well, I found my first all tube color set at a Garage sale today. It's a mid 60's zenith, not a roundie but one of the really early rectangular CRT sets. The chassis appears to be completely tube, hand wired, with no phenolic PC boards. It's still in the seller's basement, and I'm going to pick it up tonight. It was quite a coincidence that I came across this set today. We just stopped at the sale, and didn't know whose house it was. The woman holding the garage sale was my aunt's old boss, who has actually been saving the set for me for a few years. Small world it is.. Pics to come.

I got the set home, powered it up, and I'm happy to say it works for the most part. The screen has horizontal retrace lines that i just cant seem to get rid of. Also, is it normal for the flyback to produce a static like sound when the set is on? There is no visible arching, and no foul smell. Its not occasional snaps or pops, but a constant static like hiss. The tube tests good on all guns.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great find

Sounds like a nice find. From what you are describing it sounds like it might be corona discharge. Can you have a look in to the back of the set with the room dark and look in the general area of the HV cage and lead going to the ultor for a blue glow. Just my .02 worth.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Anode Cup

Look for a crumbling anode cup on the CRT.