Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

VM model 208 tube classroom record player

OK, I've been wanting one of these for a while and finally found one - a VM model 208 tube classroom record player from around '62. It uses a 3 tube amp (12AT6, 50C5, and 35W4) and has the usual volume and tone controls plus an external speaker jack. Upon inspection, this player will need a complete overhaul, which is to be expected. The cartridge is dead, the idler wheel is hard, the amp needs caps, and the mechanism needs to be cleaned and lubricated. One interesting thing I noticed is that this player does not use the standard Astatic 89T like most other school record players. It uses a strange looking stereo cartridge that is wired for mono. The only markings I'm finding is "M!" stamped on the cartridge body in black ink and a faded "116" on the mounting bracket. I suppose I could convert this to use an 89T; but, this cartridge looks like it might be a little more friendly to records. I think this will be a decent unit once fixed up.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

Cool. I have never seen one of these. And it's interesting to see a manual VM mechanism. No changer, just a basic motorboard.

Gilbert

www.galaxymoonbeamnightsite.com
Old 09-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Peanut Head

When I was a kid, my oldest brother had the same manual VM TT that came mounted on a walnut plinth. The platter was larger than the one shown, being closer to 12" in diameter. I believe it came with a Sonotone cartridge, which he later changed to an Empire.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Gary Stork at V-M Audio Enthusiasts can likely solve all your needs. Worth rebuilding. He can be found at www.thevoiceofmusic.com. Very gentle on records and sounds reasonably good. Nice units.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Those used a Euphonics cartridge, vastly superior to the 89T and tracks
lighter.
Audiokarma
Old 05-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Yes, uses a Euphonics cartridge. Much lighter tracking (around 3 grams) and will play Stereo records without wear. Overall, the VM models were among the best school players made in tone quality, and the easiest on records save for high end Newcombs. Yes, VM made single play manual versions of their changers for these phonos. And they at one time had fancier cabinet versions for home use as cheaper models in mono.